Where will Hischier rank among post-cap 1st OA picks?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Rnh or lower

This is silly.

Not only does he have a boatload of skill, but he is a hard worker and he "gets it"

There's no reason why he shouldn't be a 60-70 point player at his peak.

The underrating of the top of the 2017 Draft has gotten comical at this point. Everyone absorbs talking points then runs with it and creates a false narrative.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is silly.

Not only does he have a boatload of skill, but he is a hard worker and he "gets it"

There's no reason why he shouldn't be a 60-70 point player at his peak.

The underrating of the top of the 2017 Draft has gotten comical at this point. Everyone absorbs talking points then runs with it and creates a false narrative.

OK, he "gets it", got it. There is 100s of hard working prospects out there

BTW, it's the professional scouts saying the top 5 of 2017 is not good

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is silly.

I think that's a buzzword bingo while complaining about the rest of the hockey world not praising your top pick.

It may not be weak in absolute terms, but it certainly is relative to the last two drafts. Ignore McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine and it still doesn't compare all that greatly.

Hischier/Patrick/Heiskanen/Makar/Petterson
vs
Strome/Marner/Hanifin/Zacha/Provorov
vs
Dubois/Puljuharvi/Juolevi/Tkachuk/Keller

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
OK, he "gets it", got it. There is 100s of hard working prospects out there

BTW, it's the professional scouts saying the top 5 of 2017 is not good

He's got elite talent, values the defensive side of the game, and works his ass off. The latter two qualities is going to put him a position to maximize that elite talent.

This isn't coming from a Devils fan, this is coming from a Flyers fan. :laugh:

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
He's definitely the least hyped #1 overall pick since Kane in 2007. Hopefully he ends up with a similar career trajectory!

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm curious as to what the consensus is for Hischier's projected development. Say in 5-8 years, which group of post '05 lockout and salary-cap 1st OA's will Hischier most likely fit in with? And, could Patrick, Makar, or other potentially fit into a better group?

Superstar:
P Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
McDavid
Matthews

Good player:
Hall
Mackinnon
Ekblad

Serviceable player:
Nugent-Hopkins
E Johnson

Total bust:
Yakupov

How do you have MacK and RNH in different tiers when they score at about the same rate. Id say both have been decent but underwhelming

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't think he'll be terrible, but I think he'll spend his career with the Devils and put up constant 60-point seasons. Basically the replacement for Patrik Elias.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
How do you have MacK and RNH in different tiers when they score at about the same rate. Id say both have been decent but underwhelming

I did deliberate a decent amount about those tier rankings. I wanted to have those four tiers, and the two players you mentioned were the trickiest to decide on...ultimately I feel MacKinnon still has room to grow which I factored in, and has shown more ability to be a game breaker. I actually quite like the Nuge as a player (and I'm a Canucks fan), but I think what we are seeing is what we're going to get. I could be wrong and MacKinnon could never trend up again, in which case I agree with you.

Interesting opinions on this so far, seems like no one is anticipating a star player (to be expected). What from I know of Hischier, assuming he is developed well (a lot to ask), I think he will be a very good player. Not in that superstar category, but a 75pt two way player. Maybe even a Kopitar type, if he could bulk up and play more physical.
Just as likely though he is a 50pt 2C his whole career.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
RNH seems to be the popular answer and what I would say as well. Although I think he gets more opportunity in NJ so I think he will end up the better producing player

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not that it is definitive, but go back and find the articles on RNH at the combine. He was about 10-12 pounds less than Hischier and didn't have the best testing results. Skills aside, Hischier would seem to have at least some physical/athletic advantages over RNH at a similar age. That may reflect a more mature work ethic. It's always hard to see what's between a prospect's ears and in his chest but those who know Hischier best as a player give him glowing reviews. Hischier's top end probably depends upon who the Devils get to play with him. With good players he is probably a 60 point guy at his peak. With very good to excellent players something better.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Better than Yakupov. But he is going to be a 55 point player, not more. (like RNH).

Casey Mittelstadt is going to be a better player than him.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
One thing that's encouraging is his upward trajectory. He got better and got better quickly as the season went on. No one projected him first overall at the beginning of the year.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think he can be a 1C capable of 60-70 points with good 2 way play as everyone else has said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->