Where will Hischier rank among post-cap 1st OA picks?

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I'm curious as to what the consensus is for Hischier's projected development. Say in 5-8 years, which group of post '05 lockout and salary-cap 1st OA's will Hischier most likely fit in with? And, could Patrick, Makar, or other potentially fit into a better group?

Superstar:
P Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
McDavid
Matthews

Good player:
Hall
Mackinnon
Ekblad

Serviceable player:
Nugent-Hopkins
E Johnson

Total bust:
Yakupov

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Somewhere between good and serviceable. Not as good as MacKinnon or Hall, not as bad as nuge.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
His upside is probably between 50 to 70 points. So not sure which tier to put him

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can see him in the same tier as Hall and MacKinnon - 60-70 point player (assuming MacKinnons production improves as Colorado improves)

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
He is better than mackinnon. I'd put him between hall and mackinnon.

Mack might have better physical abilities, but Nico is far smarter, and much better defensively. I see him becoming one of the top 10-15 two way centre in the league, but maybe not scoring more than say, Bergeron or Toews do right now.

That's not to say he will be better than those two, by the way.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Shade below RNH tier.
RNH has his struggles but he's worked hard to stay relevant. I think Hischier has much the save struggles, but doesn't adapt as successfully.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
He is better than mackinnon. I'd put him between hall and mackinnon.

Mack might have better physical abilities, but Nico is far smarter, and much better defensively. I see him becoming one of the top 10-15 two way centre in the league, but maybe not scoring more than say, Bergeron or Toews do right now.

That's not to say he will be better than those two, by the way.

RNH's hockey intelligence was incredibly highly touted in his draft year. Media everywhere were falling over themselves to gush about his puck I.Q.
Eventually, you do need some physical abilities to match those brains, though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Silly nitpick, but EJ is in that next tier. #1 dmen are hard to find.

On topic, I expect around RNH level or just below MacK.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
RNH's hockey intelligence was incredibly highly touted in his draft year. Media everywhere were falling over themselves to gush about his puck I.Q.
Eventually, you do need some physical abilities to match those brains, though.

Both Nico and rnh have physical abilities, just because they don't have the amount of gifts Mackinnon does, doesn't mean they have none. Mack hasn't matched his rookie year yes in part because of his crap team, but also because he is just not that smart.

Rnh showed a ton of potential in his rookie season, and he was thrust into a mess, exposed to horrible coaches, and forced himself into a two way forward. He's still got all the offensive talent.

People are never going to accept that Nico is going to be a top forward because of all the bs said about this draft. The depth of it is weak, but everyone took it as being the entire draft is weak, and so every prospect must be. The top end was great, Nico is great, (I hate Patrick as a prospect but I totally get anyone who thinks he will be great). No McDavid or Matthews doesn't mean that the top players will wind up 45 point 2C. If people viewed Nico extensively in junior, he's fast, great hands, one of the best defensive forwards in the q, and incredibly intelligent.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Depends on if he stays in NJ. If he does he will serviceable at best. If he goes to a team that he doesnt have to be the best player on the ice to get points he will develop a lot better and have a much better career.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Depends on if he stays in NJ. If he does he will serviceable at best. If he goes to a team that he doesnt have to be the best player on the ice to get points he will develop a lot better and have a much better career.

Ah, typical ranger fan garbage.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think you could make an argument that at the time of each players draft, he can probably be considered the worst #1 overall pick of any of them. Then again, Kane is right near the bottom as well. It would be shocking if he doesn't turn out better than Yak though, and I'd consider it likely that he turns out better than RNH.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People are never going to accept that Nico is going to be a top forward because of all the bs said about this draft. The depth of it is weak, but everyone took it as being the entire draft is weak, and so every prospect must be. The top end was great, Nico is great, (I hate Patrick as a prospect but I totally get anyone who thinks he will be great). No McDavid or Matthews doesn't mean that the top players will wind up 45 point 2C. If people viewed Nico extensively in junior, he's fast, great hands, one of the best defensive forwards in the q, and incredibly intelligent.

Completely backwards.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Impossible to say. If he bulks up, thereby addressing his one glaring weakness (he is so skinny...), he could become a very good two way center good for 60-70 points year in, year out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad