Where will Gio finish on the all-time greatest Flames list?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The guy is 35 and having a career year. He shows no signs of slowing down and has been a straight up warrior for the team his entire career.

He is probably the Flames best ever all-around D-man, contributing equaling offensively and defensively.. I remember watching MacInnis play, but I was too young to be able to analyze his game enough to compare where Gio could stack up against him. Big Al still might hold best d man title, but looking at what Gio has done for the team and city, he’s going to finish top 5 all time for me.

Where would you put him?

Reactions: Sk8M8

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The best to ever play for Calgary:
1. Al MacInnis
2. Gio

I don't know how many here got to see Al in his glory days with the Flames but sitting in the Saddle Dome and watching Al tee one up was a thing of magic. Though he will always be remembered for his slap-shot most disregard the quick and accurate wrist-shot he used when there was not time for the slapper. I can't even imagine what Al's slap-shot could have been with the composites in his prime. All I can say is YIKES.

If Gio brings a cup to Flame land there is a good possibility I could reconsider my choice.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The best to ever play for Calgary:
1. Al MacInnis
2. Gio

I don't know how many here got to see Al in his glory days with the Flames but sitting in the Saddle Dome and watching Al tee one up was a thing of magic. Though he will always be remembered for his slap-shot most disregard the quick and accurate wrist-shot he used when there was not time for the slapper. I can't even imagine what Al's slap-shot could have been with the composites in his prime. All I can say is YIKES.

If Gio brings a cup to Flame land there is a good possibility I could reconsider my choice.

Iginla?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The thing is though, if we win a cup, it won’t be Gio that wins it for us. We wouldn’t be able to win it without him, but he’s not the Neidermeyer type to be Conn Smythe. Just the reliable soldier who will do whatever it takes.

Underrated around the league for how good he is, but we know...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we win a Cup over the next 2-3 seasons, he'll got down as a top 5 Flames, I have no questions about that.
If he continues his pace, and we don't sniff a cup, he'll be a top 10 Flame for sure.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If we win a Cup over the next 2-3 seasons, he'll got down as a top 5 Flames, I have no questions about that.
If he continues his pace, and we don't sniff a cup, he'll be a top 10 Flame for sure.

Incredible for a guy who went undrafted. Testament to perseverance.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
What always stuck out to me is him leaving the Flames because he couldn't come to terms with a contract, playing a year in Russia, then coming back to a contract after getting his point across.

It's exactly why he makes a great captain. When the young guys are underperforming, he can remind them of the road he took just to get to where they are.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'd say Gio is currently in Gary Suter territory...who is still in my opinion the best all round DMan we ever had.
Gio will outlast him as a Flame all while still playing at a high level, so he passes Suter eventually.

And no way either Magic Man (Kent Nilson), or Makarov make the top 5, unless that stupid joke is still going on.
While both were for sure top 5 in talent we've ever had, their tenure was too short. Same for Killer (Gilmour).

Gio is pretty close (if not already there) to top 10 right now. When its all done he'd arguably be top 5.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It is a tough call to name a top 5 all time as I have so many favourites. There is no way Makarov is even remotely there. Here's my (current) top ten though.

Fleury
Iginla
MacInnis
Kipper
Vernon
Niewendyk
Mullen
Loob
Giordano
Suter

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No Sandy McCarthy, Oliwa or Rocky Thompson?

Tim Hunter- Best nose ever

upload_2018-11-3_9-58-6.jpeg

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I have a really hard time comparing players across generations. Too hard. The modern athlete is just so talented and the game is too competitive now. All I know is he’s one of the best

Reactions: SKRusty

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
And that is a very good point. Players from yesteryear wouldn't match Gio's fitness and they weren't playing the speed game of today. Some would excel though.

Reactions: SKRusty

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If he can play at a near elite level till he's 38/39, He'll be a top 5 all time. But agree that comparing generations of players is somewhat pointless.

Our franchise is fortunate to have had Iginla and now Gio, amazing captains.

Reactions: Ravi Nandkumar

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Gio is a fantastic hockey player and is one of the best defensemen in the league, but has a lot of catching up to do before he can touch the likes of some of the guys we had in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to remember some of these guys or to have seen them when they were truly in their prime but from watching highlights and looking at what they accomplished relative to the rest of the league + their staying power in the NHL and awards and achievements, my list would go something like

MacInnis
Suter
Lanny
Fleury
Nieuwendyk
Iggy
Kipper
Gio
Roberts

Left off guys who played short careers in the NHL like Makarov and Loob because it's easy for a guy to come over in the midst of his prime and look utterly dominant - tough to evaluate a career without seeing the whole thing. Also left off Mullen and Gilmour because their stints in Calgary were too short. Technically the best player to ever play for the Flames is probably Jagr :laugh:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Gio is a fantastic hockey player and is one of the best defensemen in the league, but has a lot of catching up to do before he can touch the likes of some of the guys we had in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to remember some of these guys or to have seen them when they were truly in their prime but from watching highlights and looking at what they accomplished relative to the rest of the league + their staying power in the NHL and awards and achievements, my list would go something like

MacInnis
Suter
Lanny
Fleury
Nieuwendyk
Iggy
Kipper
Gio
Roberts

Left off guys who played short careers in the NHL like Makarov and Loob because it's easy for a guy to come over in the midst of his prime and look utterly dominant - tough to evaluate a career without seeing the whole thing. Also left off Mullen and Gilmour because their stints in Calgary were too short. Technically the best player to ever play for the Flames is probably Jagr :laugh:

Lanny's days in Calgary were at the end of his career. Great leader but his skills had diminished. Suter was the Regehr of the 80's and falls into that tier. Roberts was one that I wanted to find a slot for but his time in Calgary was abbreviated by the neck injury and considering the it was the offensive era he was just shy. Mullen was another consideration but again just shy. Makarov was old by the time he came and he had 2 okay seasons.

In today's game Theo would have been a rock star but in his day and where the league was he doesn't make the top 5 primarily because he didn't have an impact in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad