Where to watch in 2021

Skellart09

Nov 30, 2013
I live in Buckeye and love to watch the games. I have been watching on Hulu but I guess that’s going away. What are my options to watch the games here? Is direct tv the only option in 2021? Coyotes hockey was the only reason for me to watch Hulu. I will now be canceling the crap out of hulu.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s right. It’s either that or this AT&T streaming service that has about 4 channels and costs the same as Hulu. It makes me hope that the Yotes leave FSAZ but I’m not sure what their options even are if they leave. FSAZ has been greedy as hell

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
My plan for the upcoming season is to set up a DNS through my Apple TV and subscribe for NHL.tv. Still researching this option. This is option 1 for me. I don’t want to be stapled to my computer all day for work, then have to be stapled to it all night for Hockey. If ANYONE has a setup identical to this, I need help.

Backup plan is to buy a cheap computer to put under the TV and run a VPN and watch NHL.tv that way.

It’s a service I’m willing to pay for instead of illegally stream. I’ll happily pay the $30 a month for NHL.tv, I just need to find a workaround for the blackouts.

i cut cable years ago, jumped around streaming services and was very happy with Hulu. Now that they’re dropping FSAZ I have no use for the service the other half of the year so I’m dropping Hulu.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The only streaming service that has a deal with Sinclair for the Fox Sports Regionals is AT&T TV Now, which costs $80+ to subscribe. Sinclair has dropped all its agreements with every other streaming service and there is no indication that they are going to renegotiate. Rumor has it that they are planning their own a la carte streaming service down the road but there is no timeline.

Personally I'm planning to listen on the radio all season, because I didn't wire my new house for cable or satellite, and a terrible hockey team with a history of letting me down in the most hilarious and heart-stomping fashion possible is not an incentive for me to lay down the capital to do that, or, conversely, overpay tremendously for an equally-awful streaming service.

Reactions: ck26

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I live in Buckeye and love to watch the games. I have been watching on Hulu but I guess that’s going away. What are my options to watch the games here? Is direct tv the only option in 2021? Coyotes hockey was the only reason for me to watch Hulu. I will now be canceling the crap out of hulu.

Sent you a PM of the info I've sent to a few people here with links I use. The first one is the only one I use for hockey. HD streams and it even has the WJC games. There's also an app for streams on your phone.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Backup plan is to buy a cheap computer to put under the TV and run a VPN and watch NHL.tv that way..

I have a setup like this. Computer attached to TV in our family room with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Can pull up any video on the internet on to the TV without having to link a phone to the TV or being hunched over on a laptop or desktop computer.

It's a desktop computer so it's kind of ugly, I should see how well my Raspberry Pi does with HD video. If it does fine then that is really easy to hide.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The easiest way to stream legally would be subscribe to the NHL's NHL.tv service, and then because you wish to avoid their blackout rules of like 48 hours in the local market, you would use a VPN to geospoof your location to be someplace else, like Australia with whom no one has broadcasting rights from the NHL.

I run mine through a Chromecast. I just either cast it to the Chromecast attached to the TV via the Chrome browser or via the NHL app on my phone in conjunction with the Chromecast app. My setup is older though and the newest Chromecast works more like a Roku where you run the app directly on the device plugged into your TV and use a remote it comes with or presumably an app on your phone serves as the remote.

If you were to use this type of setup, you would need to connect your Chromecast to the VPN rather than just your home network. You basically create a virtual router/wifi network in addition to your normal network, but that one is running through the VPN from whichever country. So everything involved gets run through that. You can get a service that basically just runs an extension in your browser to do all of this instead of you setting up new networks and whatnot.

As for how much this would run, NHL.tv is $99USD this season, Chromecast is $35 or $65 if you want it for 4k HD which not a lot runs at yet, and VPNs look to be under $5 a month.

Skellart09

Nov 30, 2013
Thanks for all of the great info. I do have Apple TV so I will try to see if I can get the VPN thing figured out and go from there with the nhl tv subscription. If that doesn’t get it done, I’ll give one of the other options a shot. I really appreciate it.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks for all of the great info. I do have Apple TV so I will try to see if I can get the VPN thing figured out and go from there with the nhl tv subscription. If that doesn’t get it done, I’ll give one of the other options a shot. I really appreciate it.

you can’t set up a VPN through the Apple TV. You’ll need to set up the VPN through your router. If you’re renting yours through Cox or Century Link, it might get tough to do.

I’m told the DNS option will work. But I’m still researching this. I’m not sure if you’ll need to subscribe to the Euro plan though.

since you have an Apple TV, my plan C was to just VPN my MacBook and airplay it over to the ATV. Tons of options I’m sure. If you figure out that DNS thing with your Apple TV, let me know. I don’t plan on messing around with this until the day of the game

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Considering how streaming is taking over from cable/satellite, the blackout rules are relics that need to be deep 6'd. The NHL needs to negotiate a revenue sharing model to distribute to local broadcasters a portion of the NHL.tv subscription fee.

Reactions: LuckyNumber11

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
you can’t set up a VPN through the Apple TV. You’ll need to set up the VPN through your router. If you’re renting yours through Cox or Century Link, it might get tough to do.

I’m told the DNS option will work. But I’m still researching this. I’m not sure if you’ll need to subscribe to the Euro plan though.

since you have an Apple TV, my plan C was to just VPN my MacBook and airplay it over to the ATV. Tons of options I’m sure. If you figure out that DNS thing with your Apple TV, let me know. I don’t plan on messing around with this until the day of the game
Just be sure your router is capable of this. Some low-end routers may not have this functionality as it's rarely needed.

If you're messing with it on opening night, I suggest testing it out on a national feed game prior to the Coyotes as it should be blacked out and you can work out any issues before you risk missing the first period of the more important game.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I also had purchased Hulu live tv just for the Coyotes a couple years back and was frustrated as hell to learn them and all the other streamers were dropping FSAZ. My solution has ended up being borrowing the DirectTV login from a friend and signing into Fox Sports Go through my computer, and then casting it to my tv using Chromecast. I tested it out with the Suns game tonight and it works like a charm! Only caveat is you need a DirectTV login from someone you know.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Sent you a PM of the info I've sent to a few people here with links I use. The first one is the only one I use for hockey. HD streams and it even has the WJC games. There's also an app for streams on your phone.

Can you send me info as well. Think my one went away

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Backup plan is to buy a cheap computer to put under the TV and run a VPN and watch NHL.tv that way.

You don't need to buy a computer to do this. You can do it with a $30 amazon fire stick (IDK about apple tvs). Most VPN services offer an APK which you can install on any android device and run in the background. Then you just install and run the NHL.TV App. I've been doing it for a few years for blackout games.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You don't need to buy a computer to do this. You can do it with a $30 amazon fire stick (IDK about apple tvs). Most VPN services offer an APK which you can install on any android device and run in the background. Then you just install and run the NHL.TV App. I've been doing it for a few years for blackout games.

Nice!

does it do 60htz too?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I don’t even see NHL.tv taking subscriptions yet, only a 9.99 a month package to watch games from last year. Anyone know we’re to sign up if I’m interested?

And I need it living in CO now. The games that will be blacked out are the ones that we play against the Avs, I’m assuming

Last edited:
Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don’t even see NHL.tv taking subscriptions yet, only a 9.99 a month package to watch games from last year. Anyone know we’re to sign up if I’m interested?

And I need it living in CO now. The games that will be blacked out are the ones that we play against the Avs, I’m assuming

You were probably at the right place, they just don't have the link up yet.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

I got an email from them indicating that I'd be automatically charged for a re-subscription if I don't cancel before 11:59pm January 10th, so maybe it won't be up until then. Season kicks off on the 13th. $99 for full season and playoffs, though I assume you will get zero playoff games because they'll fall under the blackout.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

I'm right there with you. Here in TX, I'll get to see all of the Coyotes games in all of their glory(hopefully glory).

Reactions: RABBIT

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Leagues need to catch up with the times. Fans need legal streaming options with no blackouts. There is a market for fans that turn to pirate streams because no other options are provided. Fans should not need a dish for the best options.

An equivalent is this at McDonald’s:

Customer: “I’d like a Big Mac”
Cashier: “Well we have a bundle with two Big Macs, 20 nuggets, and two large fries for $12.99.”
Customer: “How much for just one Big Mac?”
Cashier: “Sorry, we don’t sell them individually.”

Let us buy the damn Big Mac on its own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad