Where to look up “hits taken”/received?

Bull

Nov 23, 2017
I’ve found some articles talking about players or teams with a “hits taken” stat but it’s not clear on where you can find that stat whether on nhl.com or hockey-reference.com. Any suggestions?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Likely counted by the official scorer (or a delegate) if it's on the league site. Likely a fair amount of variation between scorers.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes, expect issues - they aren't paid to be correct. Shots on goal and shifts aren't done in an overly correct fashion, I imagine this niche piece would be off in spots too.

Also, I wouldn't expect deflection artists to get more posts because of the geometry of the situation. I'd expect mid-range shooters to be near the top. I also didn't look into this at all...so maybe it's Hornqvist, Pavelski, Killorn 1-2-3 haha

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Great! How and where do I look that up?
The URL formula is
sprintf('h' + 'ttps://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/%d%d/PL%02d%04d.HTM', season, season+1, stage, season_game_id);
Season is the year the season was supposed to start. Stage is 1 - preseason, 2 - regular, 3 - playoffs.
Season game id runs from 1 to 1312 this season for regular part, and is a bit trickier for playoffs. There it's a 0ABC, where A is round (1-4), B is pairing of the round (1-8, 1-4, 1-2, or 1), C is the number of the game (1-7) The last game of the playoffs this year was 0415.
Example: Play By Play from yesterday.

• Wow
Reactions: LT and deleted user

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Slightly off topic (sorry for that) but where to look up blocks and other stats on nhl.com? Lots of stats seem to be missing after they made changes to their website.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Miscellaneous.

Sorry, question wasn't precise enough.
I know where to look up season totals but what I meant was the shatsheet of NHL games. Seems no longer linked. Or I'm too dumb to find it.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Sorry, question wasn't precise enough.
I know where to look up season totals but what I meant was the shatsheet of NHL games. Seems no longer linked. Or I'm too dumb to find it.
For a game, click on 'Gamecenter'. Then click on 'Box Score' tab in the top center. Scroll down. The reports will be on your right, below the three stars of the game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I’ve found some articles talking about players or teams with a “hits taken” stat but it’s not clear on where you can find that stat whether on nhl.com or hockey-reference.com. Any suggestions?

I don't think there is a stat like that which is kept track by anyone. Maybe some obscure person does it, but not likely on a site anywhere.

I do remember a few years ago during a Wings game, the Wings announcers talked about Mike Green (when he was a Wing) had taken the most hits of any Wing player that season, but they didn't mention how many or how they had that stat.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think there is a stat like that which is kept track by anyone. Maybe some obscure person does it, but not likely on a site anywhere.

I do remember a few years ago during a Wings game, the Wings announcers talked about Mike Green (when he was a Wing) had taken the most hits of any Wing player that season, but they didn't mention how many or how they had that stat.
There's an NHL API that tracks everything. Every shot, shot type, hit, who got hit, penalty, who the penalty was taken against, shift, etc... it just takes some coding to get all that information into a consumable format.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Yes, expect issues - they aren't paid to be correct. Shots on goal and shifts aren't done in an overly correct fashion, I imagine this niche piece would be off in spots too.

Also, I wouldn't expect deflection artists to get more posts because of the geometry of the situation. I'd expect mid-range shooters to be near the top. I also didn't look into this at all...so maybe it's Hornqvist, Pavelski, Killorn 1-2-3 haha

Tage leading the league makes a lot of sense- the shooter you describe having a down year. 15 posts to the next most at 12, though Mac leads the league overall with 5 crossbars as well (to Tage’s 1). Which.. somewhat blows up my theory, but you’d expect to see the top offensive guys up there, on average. Thompson is obviously not considered a top 15 offensive player this year, but his close calls are certainly up there.

Also interesting seeing Timo Meier is 2nd in missed shots wide- idk, just feels like these numbers help explain some ups and downs. Dude can’t find the net currently, for his shot rate, no wonder he isn’t looking great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad