Where to get parts?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I hate to say it but my go to place for parts is Amazon. The selection and prices can't be beat.

If I need something right away I'll go to Advance Auto Parts. Half the time they have to order it which defeats the purpose.

Pep Boys gives me a headache. I don't think they can tell a tailpipe from hole in the ground.

This used car parts database looks intriguing http://www.car-part.com/ The rear bumper on my truck has some rust holes. I intend to replace it. I found some used ones here, but a new one is cheaper from Amazon. :laugh:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Depends. For basic maintenance like filters I just go to Walmart.

Car parts for a Ford I go to Tasca(online) Have very good prices for replacement parts.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Ebay has quite a lot of auto salvage sellers. I bought a power mirror harness for my Volvo a few weeks ago for like 7 bucks.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I search a few places, mostly some mentioned already, when I need something. Chances are the cheapest prices will be on ebay for a large variety of things, sellers trying to move products in quantity over larger margin. I also have a dealer friend who gets good deals on certain things and can hook me up if necessary. Lastly, if you have a car with fan following there's most likely a web forum dedicated to it that has a classifieds section. Depending on the traffic there you can find a lot of OEM parts for peanuts (or generally hard to find things as readily available).

But in a pinch, Advance is my go-to. They always have online coupons you can use for online orders. I think examples are usually something like $10 off of $35-45 purchase, $25 off $100, and so on at that rate.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This used car parts database looks intriguing http://www.car-part.com/ The rear bumper on my truck has some rust holes. I intend to replace it. I found some used ones here, but a new one is cheaper from Amazon. :laugh:

I haven't used them in a long time, but it was a god send finding parts for my old 300Z. I remember I had some computer component bite the dust and I got it for $30 from some junk yard in North Carolina. Would have been soaked for over $300 from the local dealer at the time. Can be a bit of a pain narrowing searches, though, as they seem to have name variations for the same part, depending what you're searching for.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Rockauto.

Seconded. This is place the to buy parts. Knowing who manufactures the part for an auto maker you can buy OEM replacement parts for significantly cheaper than a dealer.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Is it difficult to replace brake pads? Mine are starting to squeak a bit after a 500 mile trip over the weekend.

Not really if you have the tools.

Jack up the wheel. Remove wheel. Remove caliper via two bolts. Slide out pad. Insert new pad. Use a C clamp to compress the pistons on the caliper. Re-assemble

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
Not really if you have the tools.

Jack up the wheel. Remove wheel. Remove caliper via two bolts. Slide out pad. Insert new pad. Use a C clamp to compress the pistons on the caliper. Re-assemble

I think all I'd have to buy is a c clamp. I ordered some hawk brake pads off amazon for $60 that have gotten pretty high reviews on another Jeep Wrangler forum I frequent. Looks like I'll make my attempt on Thursday.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I think all I'd have to buy is a c clamp. I ordered some hawk brake pads off amazon for $60 that have gotten pretty high reviews on another Jeep Wrangler forum I frequent. Looks like I'll make my attempt on Thursday.

Do you have air tools or just manual? I ask because "breaking" lug nuts can be hard sometimes. Using a length of metal pipe that fits over your tire iron or wrench will help

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I use slipjoint pliers (channellocks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad