Prospect Info: Where They Will Play Season '20-'21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know how the AHL can play without fans unless the NHL covers a lot of their losses. But one thing they can look at is the independent baseball league that started up on July 3rd in the Mid-Western states in the US as they have had fans at their games.

You have to think that even the independently owned AHL franchises will get help from the NHL since that is where the NHL affiliate will have their contracted players play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I do hope that with the AHL season delayed, that they will have some rookie games between a handful of teams. Put them in a bubble, as well. Rookie Showcases are in a bubble anyways, but a more controlled environment. Just to keep players and prospects from going too long without playing.

And if the borders remain closed, then there are 4 AHL franchises in Canada. Those 4 can get together and play games.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I'm unsure why NHL teams are loaning players for 2-3 months. These European teams will rely heavily on the loaned players for 15-20 games. Then you're telling me they are coming back to America to play a full 82-game condensed schedule + playoffs?

Leskinen isn't really a factor for us but how about Lehtonen for Toronto who was slated to be in their top-6? That's gonna be a looonnnnng season for this guy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm unsure why NHL teams are loaning players for 2-3 months. These European teams will rely heavily on the loaned players for 15-20 games. Then you're telling me they are coming back to America to play a full 82-game condensed schedule + playoffs?

Leskinen isn't really a factor for us but how about Lehtonen for Toronto who was slated to be in their top-6? That's gonna be a looonnnnng season for this guy

What do you want the NHL teams to do? To leave their prospects to sit doing nothing but train until November/December? If they do that, these prospects will be 8-9 months without playing.

There is risk they get hurt there. That is true. But it's still better they play some competitive hockey. This way, when they return for camps, they're actually in mid-season form.

I'd rather have them play somewhere in the meantime.

I expect them to do the same with Ylonen and Khisamutdinov. I expect their European prospects to be loaned somewhere. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with their North American prospects under NHL/AHL contracts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

in the case of Leskinen it wouldn't even be that long. The AHL is looking at a 12-4 start date and a 72 game schedule. That would mean at say early to mid-Nov he would come back for camp I assume unless they keep him there until the Laval camp since it's highly unlikely he would make the team out of camp. Even then it would be late Nov, when Liiga starts in Oct.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
KalPa has 8 preseason games starting on August 20th and their last exhibition game is on September 24th.

Their regular season starts on October 2nd.

I do wonder if they will loan other European prospects like Ylonen, Khisamutdinov, and Vejdemo until camps start.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KalPa has 8 preseason games starting on August 20th and their last exhibition game is on September 24th.

Their regular season starts on October 2nd.

I do wonder if they will loan other European prospects like Ylonen, Khisamutdinov, and Vejdemo until camps start.

i just saw the panthers were loaning one of their AHL players to an SHL team so I suspect we will see more of this, the problem is these leagues can't have a bunch of AHL players show up for a month or so and then leave.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
i just saw the panthers were loaning one of their AHL players to an SHL team so I suspect we will see more of this, the problem is these leagues can't have a bunch of AHL players show up for a month or so and then leave.

Detroit I believe are loaning some of their prospects to Europe also. I'll try to find the Tweet where I saw that. Zadina and Veleno are two of their prospects being loaned out.

Edit: I found the Tweet

In the articles, it's nothing official, but there are discussions between the NHL teams and the Czech teams to loan these players there.

They're all Europeans. So they're surely already there. But the one that is interesting is Joe Veleno being loaned there.

I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Hillis and Brook to be loaned somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Detroit I believe are loaning some of their prospects to Europe also. I'll try to find the Tweet where I saw that. Zadina and Veleno are two of their prospects being loaned out.

I've seen a few NCAAers leave early for different Euro leagues, and not just from the Ivy league schools since we know they aren't going to play. Since most of the ones from non Ivy leagues are Euros to begin with it could just be them wanting to go home or to get paid but i've been keeping an eye on as I really hope there's an NCAA season. The one to watch is the Big 10 where Caufield and Pitlick play, they are talking about possibly no football next year so if that's the case I got to think it will carry over to hockey although so far the Big 10 hockey hasn't said anything. It's just a crazy ass time. You look at the shit show MLB is and there's no fans but an independent baseball league in the mid west seems to be doing fine with fans. Hard to figure how they can have fans, Liiga, SHL, etc.. are looking at either full fans or some %. I just want to be able to watch Laval, some NCAA and CHL hockey.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've seen a few NCAAers leave early for different Euro leagues, and not just from the Ivy league schools since we know they aren't going to play. Since most of the ones from non Ivy leagues are Euros to begin with it could just be them wanting to go home or to get paid but i've been keeping an eye on as I really hope there's an NCAA season. The one to watch is the Big 10 where Caufield and Pitlick play, they are talking about possibly no football next year so if that's the case I got to think it will carry over to hockey although so far the Big 10 hockey hasn't said anything. It's just a crazy ass time. You look at the shit show MLB is and there's no fans but an independent baseball league in the mid west seems to be doing fine with fans. Hard to figure how they can have fans, Liiga, SHL, etc.. are looking at either full fans or some %. I just want to be able to watch Laval, some NCAA and CHL hockey.

Same here. I just want to watch prospects, no matter where they play. This is why I'm hoping that the European leagues start as planned. Because at the very least, we will be able to watch Ikonen, Olofsson, Norlinder, and now Leskinen. And of course, Ikonen, Olofsson, and Norlinder also in the Champions Hockey League.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EdJZvn8WoAAy38S

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

In his interview with Ylonen from earlier today, Ylonen doesn't know yet what will happen for this year. If he will be loaned somewhere or not. He has recovered from his injury.

Also in the article, with Ylonen not under contract to any team in Europe, he can be loaned to any team by the Habs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pat Hickey asked CJ during his presser today with Leskinen being loaned out today, if he expects more players to be loaned out.

CJ did say that they are looking at doing that with more players that were in the minors.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The CHL following the NHL & AHL examples.

That means LeGuerrier, Dichow & Fairbrother will start in December.

Remains to be seen what the NCAA decides and if any of the Habs prospects there would come over to the CHL.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Keep up the development camp please. My best hockey moments so far. To me, it's like a tradition. It wouldn't be the same without it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I had hoped the CHL wouldn't do this, the problem with December is the flu season will be going on and even if it's just the flu, it's likely going to be a shit show with panic.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs don't have an ECHL affiliate this year, but they will have players sent there, and today, they confirm that the league is aiming for a December 4th start date (same date as the AHL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad