Where the heck are all the celebrations!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kravitch

OK, on Feburary 24, 2002 I went down town with some of my buddies. I was a bit younger and did not have my licence nor did any of my friend so we hitched a ride with my cousin. When we got there, I'm sure you all know how it was like in your community. Cars honking, flags waving, people screaming. It was a sunday I will never forget.

2 years later:

After last nights World Cup triumph by Canada, I drove with my friend to get some coffee at the Second Cup located downtown. When we got to downtown, wow, nothing...nothing at all. Not even a small group of people or simply one person wearing a Canada jersey. There were no celebrations whatsoever!

I know the 2002 Olympic win was much more historic (It's #3 on the all time list behind the Miracle and the Summit Series according to THN). But you would think the people of Kelowna would be a bit more patriotic?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kravitch said:
OK, on Feburary 24, 2002 I went down town with some of my buddies. I was a bit younger and did not have my licence nor did any of my friend so we hitched a ride with my cousin. When we got there, I'm sure you all know how it was like in your community. Cars honking, flags waving, people screaming. It was a sunday I will never forget.

2 years later:

After last nights World Cup triumph by Canada, I drove with my friend to get some coffee at the Second Cup located downtown. When we got to downtown, wow, nothing...nothing at all. Not even a small group of people or simply one person wearing a Canada jersey. There were no celebrations whatsoever!

I know the 2002 Olympic win was much more historic (It's #3 on the all time list behind the Miracle and the Summit Series according to THN). But you would think the people of Kelowna would be a bit more patriotic?

The lockout is a pretty effective cure for post-WC happiness.:)

Kravitch

Freudian said:
The lockout is a pretty effective cure for post-WC happiness.:)

All the more reason to celebrate. What better for Canadians that the last of great hockey they will see for at least a year ended in our favor!

chicpea*

The World Cup is up there, it's more prestigious than the World Championships, but not even close to the Olympics I'd say. In fact, for me, the top two are the Olympics, then the WJCs. sounds crazy but true.
When I was a kid, the Canada Cup was phenomenal and meant a lot. Now, after all its changes, its delays etc., it doesn't mean as much. Give it a few years though and it'll be back :)

As for your main point, I too missed the celebrations. I recall that magic Sunday with great memories. Victoria, the tamest town in all of Canada, went *******. People were painting the score on their houses! Running through the streets holding up traffic with TeamCanada flags etc. it was pretty fun and I'll never forget it.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
There was some chaos downtown TO last night... This link has footege of some the celebration that unfortunately got a little out of hand, but a celebration nonetheless. Some idiots seemed to reflect negatively on what was a otherwise good spirited celebration... hopefully those taken into custody got to spend a night in the Don, if a night in that hell hole dump doesn't smarten them up nothing will, would certainly give them something to remember any time they get the urge to act like idiots. http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20040914-013/page.asp

Last edited:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
chicpea said:
The World Cup is up there, it's more prestigious than the World Championships, but not even close to the Olympics I'd say. In fact, for me, the top two are the Olympics, then the WJCs. sounds crazy but true.
When I was a kid, the Canada Cup was phenomenal and meant a lot. Now, after all its changes, its delays etc., it doesn't mean as much. Give it a few years though and it'll be back :)

As for your main point, I too missed the celebrations. I recall that magic Sunday with great memories. Victoria, the tamest town in all of Canada, went *******. People were painting the score on their houses! Running through the streets holding up traffic with TeamCanada flags etc. it was pretty fun and I'll never forget it.
There was also something anticlimactic about this World Cup. It didn't excite me very much although I followed the tournament very closely. It also doesn't help when you realise that some other teams were in a disadvantage. It would be such a better tournament if it all played in one country like the old Canada Cup. You'd have a better ambiance with the impression that there was something big going on. IMO, nothing beats the Olympics (when it's best vs. best). The Stanley Cup is fun too but when a club wins, it's only one city that rejoyce but when it's a national team that wins, a whole country celebrates at the same time. That experience is quite something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad