Where should each teams AHL affiliate be, ideally?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Again, you make absolutely zero sense. Lehigh Valley is a great AHL market, and how they came into being is absolutely irrelevant. Ontario, CA is a great AHL market, it doesn't matter than Manchester, NH was also a great AHL market and that Manchester never would have needed to be relocated if the NHL started shifting towards building teams through prospect development over free agency. So take your useless HockeyDB research of AHL franchises and go somewhere else, and learn some grammar skills while you're there.
If every past great AHL market had a team it would be a 50+ team league. What dean Macdonald is doing in Newfoundland is a great model for markets that no longer make sense in the AHL Geographic landscape to still be a part of a system and have competitive hockey.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
And, about Dallas moving the Texas Stars to Austin... both Cedar Park and Round Rock are suburbs of Austin, Texas. Yeah, the idea may be to move the minor league teams that currently reside in those communities (I'm referring to the Pacific Coast League's Round Rock Express, as well) to Austin as logic would dictate to give the larger area more of a presence, but Austin's downtown area is already dominated by the University of Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, the Moody Center (the basketball arena for U of T) doesn't have ice capabilities. So, the suburban areas are just fine with what they got going as long as adequate public transportation, which to me is important.

Wallethub ranked Austin at #20 on this list, which is very good. For the record, Seattle was #1 and my city, Indianapolis, ranked dead last at #100.

chico85

Feb 9, 2020
Holy Mackerel the travel in the AHL Pacific would be brutal. Regina, Saskatoon, Spokane, San Jose, Ontario, Henderson, Tuscon, San Diego. Saskatoon to San Diego is 1900 miles. I think the players would get a little tired of a 60 hour round trip bus ride 5 times a year.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Holy Mackerel the travel in the AHL Pacific would be brutal. Regina, Saskatoon, Spokane, San Jose, Ontario, Henderson, Tuscon, San Diego. Saskatoon to San Diego is 1900 miles. I think the players would get a little tired of a 60 hour round trip bus ride 5 times a year.

The window graffiti alone...

Reactions: JMCx4

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
And, about Dallas moving the Texas Stars to Austin... both Cedar Park and Round Rock are suburbs of Austin, Texas. Yeah, the idea may be to move the minor league teams that currently reside in those communities (I'm referring to the Pacific Coast League's Round Rock Express, as well) to Austin as logic would dictate to give the larger area more of a presence, but Austin's downtown area is already dominated by the University of Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, the Moody Center (the basketball arena for U of T) doesn't have ice capabilities. So, the suburban areas are just fine with what they got going as long as adequate public transportation, which to me is important.

Wallethub ranked Austin at #20 on this list, which is very good. For the record, Seattle was #1 and my city, Indianapolis, ranked dead last at #100.
The Houston Astros want round rock to go the Texas league and Sugarland to become their AAA team in the next agreement.The AHL does not prioritize market size its about where they can get the best deal and the ideal place for their prospects to develop Houston and San Antonio(after the season) are open former ahl markets and the stars have shown no interest in either.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Houston Astros want round rock to go the Texas league and Sugarland to become their AAA team in the next agreement.The AHL does not prioritize market size its about where they can get the best deal and the ideal place for their prospects to develop Houston and San Antonio(after the season) are open former ahl markets and the stars have shown no interest in either.
and why is that, Centrum.... SSE went the same way as Alexander did to the Wild over Houston.....it has nothing to do with the Astros, nor MLB IF you're also contracting teams at the end of 2020 as another open thread is proposing.... such as Erie and Binghamton...... Erie is on its 4th iteration of its G-LEAGUE Bayhawks after all 3 previous versions landed in other markets, like College Park, and Lakeland... same with the current version of the Bayhawks who are scheduled to be in Birmingham in a few years time....

SSE did the same thing Detroit did once an owner passes, too.......once Palace Sports and Entertainment lost its founder.... it sold off the assets.... why do you think the Detroit Shock landed in Tulsa, but the current iteration has no tangible connection to either the Stars or the Mavericks but it's Dallas. SSE took the Utah Starzz AFTER the passing of Larry Miller, for those who are not aware of why they sold the Rampage and the Silver Stars

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

(On the subject of Sugar Land... the Atlantic League is trying to have two teams in North Carolina and is lobbying to put another team in Texas, so that move would make the team in Mesquite, Texas awkward... and I know the Southern League would likely be reduced to 10 teams so the Texas League would expand to 10, which would make the location of a non-Texas team in the Northern Division interesting for development as long as it's not Joplin, Missouri)

My point was the user was saying "move the team from the suburbs to the urban area because the urban area is bigger and matters more". It doesn't matter where the team is; if the parent club wants the team in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, they'll put the team in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
(... I know the Southern League would likely be reduced to 10 teams so the Texas League would expand to 10, which would make the location of a non-Texas team in the Northern Division interesting for development as long as it's not Joplin, Missouri) ...
Hey, now, don't go hatin' on JopMO. It's the first place folks driving east outta OK on I-44 can stop to properly relieve themselves. :nod:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Here is the optimal, end of discussion

Anaheim Ducks = Anaheim
Arizona Coyotes = Phoenix
Boston Bruins = Boston
Buffalo Sabres = Buffalo
Carolina Hurricanes = Raleigh
Chicago Blackhawks = Chicago
Columbus Blue Jackets = Columbus
Detroit Red Wings = Detroit
Los Angeles Kings = LA
Minnesota Wild = MSP
Montreal Canadiens = Montreal
Nashville Predators = Nashville
New York Islanders = Brooklyn
New York Rangers = NYC Manhattan
Philadelphia Flyers = Philadelphia
Toronto Maple Leafs = Toronto
Vegas Golden Knights = Vegas
NJ Devils = Newark
Seattle = Seattle
Florida = Miami
Tampa Bay = Tampa Bay
Dallas = Dallas
San Jose = San Jose
Colorado = Denver
Ottawa = Ottawa
Winnipeg = Winnipeg
Vancouver = Vancouver
Pittsburgh = Pittsburgh
DC = DC
Calgary = Calgary
Edmonton = Edmonton
St. Louis = St. Louis

Getting the idea????

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Here is the optimal, end of discussion

Anaheim Ducks = Anaheim
Arizona Coyotes = Phoenix
Boston Bruins = Boston
Buffalo Sabres = Buffalo
Carolina Hurricanes = Raleigh
Chicago Blackhawks = Chicago
Columbus Blue Jackets = Columbus
Detroit Red Wings = Detroit
Los Angeles Kings = LA
Minnesota Wild = MSP
Montreal Canadiens = Montreal
Nashville Predators = Nashville
New York Islanders = Brooklyn
New York Rangers = NYC Manhattan
Philadelphia Flyers = Philadelphia
Toronto Maple Leafs = Toronto
Vegas Golden Knights = Vegas
NJ Devils = Newark
Seattle = Seattle
Florida = Miami
Tampa Bay = Tampa Bay
Dallas = Dallas
San Jose = San Jose
Colorado = Denver
Ottawa = Ottawa
Winnipeg = Winnipeg
Vancouver = Vancouver
Pittsburgh = Pittsburgh
DC = DC
Calgary = Calgary
Edmonton = Edmonton
St. Louis = St. Louis

Getting the idea????

And every single one of them nicknamed "Admirals"...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
No, let's do this RIGHT!

Anaheim Ducks: Somewhere between the new Star Wars Land and Toon Town
Arizona Coyotes: Phoenix... after you move the Coyotes to Albuquerque
Boston Bruins: Portland, Oregon (Portland could have been named Boston but for a coin flip, and trolling the New England fans never disappoints around here)
Buffalo Sabres: Maybe Sarasota, or whichever Florida city most residents go to when they run away from Buffalo during the winter
Calgary Flames: Canmore. The one thing on earth they can have that nobody else wants.
Carolina Hurricanes: Providence. If only because I want to see raving hordes from Hartford take down Rhode Island. (And you thought I'd say Hartford, didn't you)
Chicago Blackhawks: St. L... whoops, looks like those tables have turned. Eh, someone's gotta see how this plays in Peoria.
Colorado Avalanche: One of those lakes in the nearby national park that freeze over by October.
Columbus Blue Jackets: Atlanta, because the Civil War origins of the name Blue Jackets and, if you know me by now, I crave awkward.
Dallas Stars: Paris. Texas, of course, but tell Dallas fans it's the one in France.
Detroit Red Wings: Is the Palace still standing? Or do we need to draft Sault St. Marie so half the fans can botch someone's pronunciation.
Edmonton Oilers: Tycho Crater, Moon. It's as close to Edmonton as anything, after all. (And minor league owners thought Alaska was a travel nightmare!)
Florida Panthers: Hamilton. Someone's gotta go north for the winter.
Los Angeles Kings: Drop some ice by Venice Beach and let people walk by on their way to the sand.
Minnesota Wild: International Falls. That town doesn't get much exposure since news outlets stopped naming hottest and coldest temperatures in USA every day.
Montreal Canadiens: Toronto, of course.
Nashville Predators: Chattanooga. Rolls off the tongue, no?
New Jersey Devils: East Jersey State Prison, Rahway. Lock up their development team while they're at it.
New York Islanders: Bed-Stuy!
New York Rangers: Nassau Co... nah, I don't ACTUALLY want to get beat up if I ever visit the island. That rink at Rockefeller Center!
Ottawa Senators: Moose Jaw.
Philadelphia Flyers: Intercourse.
Pittsburgh Penguins: Johnstown. So I punted.
Saint Louis Blues: I believe the cup holder should be reassigned to affiliate with Chicago Wolves. So, for now, this.
San Jose Sharks: Any excuse to raze the Stanford Shopping Mall is fine with me.
Seattle: Quebec.
Tampa Bay Lightning: If they put their team in Epcot Center, would anyone distinguish them from the rest of the Disney complex?
Toronto Maple Leafs: Laval, of course.
Vancouver Canucks: Victoria. Because, really, we all should go.
Vegas Golden Knights: Battle Mountain, Nevada. The Armpits!
Washington Capitals: Ottawa (as long as the Senators are in Kanata, anyway)
Winnipeg Jets: Winnipeg. And the ECHL affiliate. And the associated name-borrowing junior programs.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
If you really look at it based on all I've read. To truly do that and have a full three v three affiliation. With emira dying in the ECHL it kind of ruined the north North East blueprint. Of the ECHL along with the monarchs going dark after it. Though the canes did get it right by going back to Greenville

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want the Senators to place their affiliate in St. John's, Newfoundland, or Thunder Bay, Ontario, if not the Winnipeg Jets. But the Jets aren't taking their affiliate away from Winnipeg anytime soon.

I am more the kind of fan to see hockey grow, putting AHL teams in cities like say the Predators AHL team in Memphis.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I want the Senators to place their affiliate in St. John's, Newfoundland, or Thunder Bay, Ontario,

There are no direct flights between St. John's and Ottawa, the shortest is a very expensive connecting flight lasting 5 hours. Horrible option.

Thunder Bay also has no direct flights to Ottawa, and they are only slightly shorter and cheaper than St. John's-Ottawa.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I want the Senators to place their affiliate in St. John's, Newfoundland, or Thunder Bay, Ontario, if not the Winnipeg Jets. But the Jets aren't taking their affiliate away from Winnipeg anytime soon.

I am more the kind of fan to see hockey grow, putting AHL teams in cities like say the Predators AHL team in Memphis.
The jets actually really should move their AHL team out of Winnipeg as soon as possible. The moose leaving will only help the jets business wise.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The jets actually really should move their AHL team out of Winnipeg as soon as possible. The moose leaving will only help the jets business wise.

The only realistic market was Thunder Bay, which the Moose almost moved to until their arena plans got shut down. There's no markets near them capable of hosting the Moose and provide anywhere near doable call-ups.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
TNSE already did that, Centrum..... that's why the 1st iteration of the IceCaps Existed as a leased franchise when they acquired the Thrashers from Atlanta

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

TNSE still makes money with the Moose in Winnipeg, saving more as well from call-up costs and attracts more minor league players considering they can get called up which is less stressful on them and their families. The only thing is that their attendance has been down and the team hasn't been so hot, all that might change within 6-10 years from now.

Thunder Bay is the best option if anything, possibly the only option out there, the big issue is there's no arena and TB is very isolated. Saskatchewan maybe, but I think they care way more about WHL out there than AHL, but without question Regina/Saskatoon could support an AHL team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
TNSE still makes money with the Moose in Winnipeg, saving more as well from call-up costs and attracts more minor league players considering they can get called up which is less stressful on them and their families. The only thing is that their attendance has been down and the team hasn't been so hot, all that might change within 6-10 years from now.

Thunder Bay is the best option if anything, possibly the only option out there, the big issue is there's no arena and TB is very isolated. Saskatchewan maybe, but I think they care way more about WHL out there than AHL, but without question Regina/Saskatoon could support an AHL team.
I was mainly referring to how having the AHL team in the same building hurts demand for tickets during rebuilding years that almost all teams in the NHL go though. It makes sense for call ups and everything but ideally for true north’s business it would make sense for the team to be in a community outside of Winnipeg where they don’t compete for market share but easy enough to move players back and forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad