Where is "TEAM" Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
There just doesn't seem to be much chemistry on this team yet - usually the boys gel by now. Maybe it has to do with most of the players being the "SAME FRICCIN GUY!" - Marleau, Morrison, Walker, Fischer, Morrow, Doan, Draper, Smyth, Maltby, etc.

Don't get me wrong, they’re all super skaters, and can pop in the occassional goal, but teams need a good mix – some PERSONALITY for crissakes!
In these tourneys, CDA usually ices two lines for pure scoring, one line of good two-ways, and one ugly muck line (where are John Tonnelli and Dale Hunter when you need’em?...... ). :yo:

And don’t even start on the defence. :help: Looks like they haven’t played all year….(yeah, I know....)

Be nice to have one more Karya-like game-breaker over there too....

Either Habscheid lights a fire under some arces, or these guys will be playing for bronze… :teach:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rocky Saginuts said:
Either Habscheid lights a fire under some arces, or these guys will be playing for bronze… :teach:

Bronze? They could easily go out in the quarters.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canada has the best team on paper, but looks like it's not sufficient.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Macman said:
Bronze? They could easily go out in the quarters.
The most likely scenario: They rally and win Gold! Slo-starts are part of the story in so many Int. Tourneys for Team Canada...the guys are ALMOST jaded by thier struggles the last few games...but they are "working at it" and I see good things happening. We have a guy (61) who is scoring at will...and we have the usual amount of panic from fans. It sounds alot like every other tournament to me!

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
How anyone could put Morrison as the same type of player as a Maltby or Morrow is beyond me. He is not a much and grinder. :confused:

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
starsgal09 said:
How anyone could put Morrison as the same type of player as a Maltby or Morrow is beyond me. He is not a much and grinder. :confused:
I'm not saying they're identical, just that there's no IDENTITY...

...even the defence is basically the same guy - semi-offensive-minded, but not a classic PP quarterback. Will politely ride a guy into the boards, but not too interested in clearing the crease with a nasty spear to the back of the calf (see Adam Foote...). :eek:

The little weenies don't even think twice about going near our goaler.

I know there's not much point whinjing about who's not there, just stating an opinion...

Last edited:

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
Last year they lost a game and tied one in the same round I believe, and they still went on to win gold. Now, if they lose to the Ukraine we'll know there's a problem but I agree that it's not time to start freaking out just yet.

Oil_slick9416*

yup, the finland game today was hard to watch. very hard to hard to watch. our defense needs a swift kick in the arse. the team is not gelling.Jovo and regher need to be broken, they do jack squat together and along with souray are almost useless out there. but i *guess* we take some kind of twisted gratification out of the fact that this team is rusty, not gelling and playing like a beer league team and we've still done pretty good only losing once by 1 goal and keeping up with finland for a 3-3 tie. but that's not how i want to remember this team, they need to gell and fast. ukraine is coming up they need a perfect game against them, no mistakes, no bad habits. it worked for under 18 team against denmark...we need a good game out this damned team and fast.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
With this type of craptastic performance from the forwards, to the defence, to the goalies..................I'll go make this prediction:

5-2 Ukraine win. Ukraine outshoots Canada 28-24

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Brule said:
With this type of craptastic performance from the forwards, to the defence, to the goalies..................I'll go make this prediction:

You've got a better chance of seeing the Pope give birth... :)

Roy G Biv*

Redden and Philipps seem to be the best D on the team. Both are better skaters than hitters... could be onto something

Both are sens too, could also be onto something :D

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
The team has been suprisingly high scoring...and at times they have been guilty of getting carried away. I think the mindset will change now...we will see more defensive help from the wingers and centremen,and the defencemen will consequently calm down.
There have been countless shifts where players haver lingered on the ice long after they should have changed,a few goals against the result of Canada allowing the tempo of the game to fly out of control....(again due to goal thirst)and alot of routine passes/rushes blowing up on us because we've been too casual. Its not a lack of skill or size...we know these guys can get it done...the problem is that they know it too..but they have(at times)forgotten to execute or tried to do too much.
I'm not writing them off...our defence is very "fixable" and no matter who we have to play in the quarters...THAT will be our best hockey to date!

Captain Leaf

Brule said:

Theres about as much chance of that happening as there is of the Pope being a Nazi...oops :innocent:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Not even on paper. Ever since Hockey Canada announced the roster, I wasn't very optimistic. Souray? Souray?!? Jovanovski? Overrated. Marleau? Very overrated. You don't know how much I miss Brière and Bowmeester, too bad they couldn't play and I wish that Hockey Canada had considered Kariya. It's hard for me to like this team. I usually LOVE watching Team Canada but today against Finland, I fell asleep in the 3rd period.

Captain Leaf

Hey it coulda been worse ..they could of picked Breeze bye instead of Sorry.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
From my part i think that the intensity is there and the passion too but the problem is our defense and the transition game. I'm starting to think that we have too many lefties in this defense. Everytime Jovanovski gets caught outta position its always on the right side and i realised that almost everytime a team attack on that side we're in trouble. Because of that the cohesion between the defensemen seems to be lacking.

Feb 24, 2004
wilka91 said:

Wilka and I usually think along the same wavelength. The intangibles for this team aren't there. I do think it is stupid to say that they have no passion or heart. All these boys are there because they want to be. They love hockey, they love the country. It's just they haven't played with each other like other teams players have, plus they haven't played all year. That's an important piece.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Oil_slick9416 said:
our defense needs a swift kick in the arse. the team is not gelling.Jovo and regher need to be broken, they do jack squat together and along with souray are almost useless out there.
Exactly.

And even Hannan and Boyle have made some mistakes with the puck.

This is the least impressive blueline I've ever seen suit up for Canada!

I think it's because most of the players have been playing golf and relaxing for the last six months or more. They aren't that bad in the NHL.

Not even on paper. Ever since Hockey Canada announced the roster, I wasn't very optimistic. Souray? Souray?!? Jovanovski? Overrated... You don't know how much I miss Brière and Bowmeester, too bad they couldn't play and I wish that Hockey Canada had considered Kariya.
If there's just one guy who keeps in top shape in the off season it's Kariya.

I thought the Slovakian team looked best on paper: 12 returning guys from the 2002 Gold-medal team, most of the players were active this year, their second line of Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa is as good as anyone's first line!! with Visnovsky and Chara on the blueline and captain Satan on the third line!!

I agree with the comment about too many of the same kind of guys on Canada's roster. It's the same mistake Russia has been struggling with: Kovalchuk, Afinogenov, Ovechkin and Yashin have all been playing puck-hog with the puck, trying to do it all by themself without much passing. No wonder Kovalev and Datsyuk have looked so good!

Oil_slick9416*

Brule said:

no way we loose to ukraine by 3 goals, but there is a big chance we will get outshot by them by a fair margin

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Those who say Canada doesn't have the best team on paper are funny.

They are by very far better than everyone in the competition. On paper.

I just think there is too many grinders on this team, they would need more skilled guy. Like Kariya, Spezza, Ribeiro, Hunter, Ryder... I would've taken those guys over Walker or Fisher. We have too many caracter forwards. Maltby, Draper, Doan, Smyth, Walker, Fisher, Morrow are all playing as checkers in this tourney.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
markov` said:
Those who say Canada doesn't have the best team on paper are funny.

They are by very far better than everyone in the competition. On paper.

I just think there is too many grinders on this team, they would need more skilled guy. Like Kariya, Spezza, Ribeiro, Hunter, Ryder... I would've taken those guys over Walker or Fisher. We have too many caracter forwards. Maltby, Draper, Doan, Smyth, Walker, Fisher, Morrow are all playing as checkers in this tourney.
Maybe Canada has the best team on paper but by far? I don't think so. People tend to look at the roster with an NHL mindset but this is an international tournament on a big ice surface. European players you've never heard of or barely can be much more dangerous than you think because the bigger ice is their territory.

Our roster is the main problem. The team could have been much better if the management had concentrated more on skill over character. I know that some players are injured and some refused to play but I suspect the management omitted many skilled players. Maltby, Draper and Smyth are enough, did we had to have more grinders? There should only be one checking line, the rest should be all skill. I really don't enjoy watching this year's Team Canada. Thank goodness for the first line and I believe the second line will get better but the rest are brutal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->