Where is Sam Gagner playing this year?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
he signed with the Knights 2 months ago. He's going to look good next Friday in a Knight's uni:yo:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I bet if Wisconsin would have offered his dad an assitant coaching position like London he might have stayed on track to come here too.

Perhaps, but there was a lot more into the decision then his dad. Including being stuck in no where land for his whole draft year. Besides, Dave didn't sign as an assistant until 2 weeks ago, a full 2 months after Sam signed. There was no guarantee Dave was going to be on the Knights coaching staff.

Transported Upstater

London could potentially bring in Sam Gagner, Pat Kane and Phil McRae.

So much for rebuilding...

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
For all the hype surround Sam Gagner the last couple of years, I found it curious that he didn't make the Canadian U-18 team.

I am most familiar with the OHL guys, and the fact that he got cut in favour of guys like Cameron and Bastien, whom none of the "experts" would have mentioned is the same breath as Gagner, is interesting.

Last edited:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
For all the hype surround Sam Gagner the last couple of years, I found it curious that he didn't make the Canadian U-18 team.

I am most familiar with the OHL guys, and the fact that he got cut in favour of guys like Cameron and Bastien, whom none of the "experts" would have mentioned is the same breath as Gagner, is interesting.

From what people have said, Sam didn't have a good camp. They selected the best team, not just the best players. If Sam was going to make it, he had to prove being on the 1st 2 lines, guess he didn't - even though Travares and Couture were injured. They selected guys like Bastien for 4th line and penalty killing roles. Plus the 89's are really deep in talent.
Their record proved it, the team was deep in talent. No biggy, it should motivate Gagner even more.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
From what people have said, Sam didn't have a good camp. They selected the best team, not just the best players. If Sam was going to make it, he had to prove being on the 1st 2 lines, guess he didn't - even though Travares and Couture were injured. They selected guys like Bastien for 4th line and penalty killing roles. Plus the 89's are really deep in talent.
Their record proved it, the team was deep in talent. No biggy, it should motivate Gagner even more.

Sorry, the "best team vs. best players" schtick and "the '89's are deep" doesn't wash for a player that many people on this forum are projecting top 10 overall. If he's that good, he makes the team, period.

As someone who watched Gagner MANY times as a minor midget, my opinion is as follows: he started out vastly overrated, and his development time in the USHL set him back even further compared to his peers who played in the CHL.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
his development time in the USHL set him back even further

The USHL didn't seem to hurt a player like Okposo at all. I don't blame the USHL at all. Gagner didn't even manage to finish in the top 25 in league scoring for last season. If he was above that league in ability, I'd think he would have performed at a higher level no matter what his age.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
The USHL didn't seem to hurt a player like Okposo at all. I don't blame the USHL at all. Gagner didn't even manage to finish in the top 25 in league scoring for last season. If he was above that league in ability, I'd think he would have performed at a higher level no matter what his age.

The USHL seems to be hard for 17 year olds..Both Nick Petrecki and Tristin Llewellyn had bad seasons, atleast point-wise.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The USHL seems to be hard for 17 year olds..Both Nick Petrecki and Tristin Llewellyn had bad seasons, atleast point-wise.

gagner still was a ushl all-star, but didnt dominate like okposo, albeit he is a year younger. his stock looks like its falling right now. he was considered a top 10 pick all last season, now in the latest rankings, hes not listed. he also failed to make canada's u-18 team. it looks like he has alot to prove in london this season, but should get all the ice time he needs to do it.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Perhaps, but there was a lot more into the decision then his dad. Including being stuck in no where land for his whole draft year. Besides, Dave didn't sign as an assistant until 2 weeks ago, a full 2 months after Sam signed. There was no guarantee Dave was going to be on the Knights coaching staff.

Sigh* Some London fans are naive. The minute Sam Gagner decided he was going to play in London and even before he signed a card and was presented to the media in London, the 'for sale' sign went up on their Minnesota home, and they travelled to London to look for a new house last spring.
The family had moved and were living in London long before the official signing of Dave Gagner was announced. But the signing of Dave as assistant coach was a done-deal long ago, just delayed until August so that the local "spotlight" could be on the signing of Sam for awhile. Why do you think the Knights parted ways with former assistant coach Jeff Perry last spring, when they also knew that the other assistant Jacques Beaulieu was hired by Saint John's?
As for Sam not making the Under 18 team, scouts who were there watching the camp can tell you why he was cut. And it has nothing to do with being an unselfish, good "team player".

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Sigh* Some London fans are naive. The minute Sam Gagner decided he was going to play in London and even before he signed a card and was presented to the media in London, the 'for sale' sign went up on their Minnesota home, and they travelled to London to look for a new house last spring.
The family had moved and were living in London long before the official signing of Dave Gagner was announced. But the signing of Dave as assistant coach was a done-deal long ago, just delayed until August so that the local "spotlight" could be on the signing of Sam for awhile. Why do you think the Knights parted ways with former assistant coach Jeff Perry last spring, when they also knew that the other assistant Jacques Beaulieu was hired by Saint John's?
As for Sam not making the Under 18 team, scouts who were there watching the camp can tell you why he was cut. And it has nothing to do with being an unselfish, good "team player".

Thanx for the nice story. Most people are aware Dave was almost a lock to become *** coach for the Knights when Sam signed. The point was even if Dave wasn't going to coach the Knights, Sam was still going to go to London because of other reasons.
Perry was fired - for reasons that won't be posted on this board - and was convienently let go as his contract had expired.
Not sure what your "And it has nothing to do with being an unselfish, good "team player" " means or who said it but everyone who has ever posted on the subject has said he didn't have a good camp and wasn't good enough to make the team.

X-SHARKIE

Sure Gagner wasn't Kyle Okposo like last year but he's a year younger and wasn't nearly as physically mature as Okposo. I thought Gagner was very impressive all season. On top of his superb hockey sense and exceptional play making ability, I like his grity side and he's quite good defensively. Also his waterbug like 1-1 moves are exciting to watch.

Even as an USHL fan the bottom line is OHL > USHL and if Gagner can have a big year he should challenge for a top 10 selection... I don't see his stock falling this past year as IMO he was darn impressive.

Having this dicussion whether or not Gagner can crack the top 10 next year is proof of how good the 07 crop will be.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

The Gagner's are originally from the London area and for the record Sam always wanted to play for London, dad (and family) was the only reason he didn't play in London last season.
Ironic that now people are saying he's only playing for London because of Dave.

McRae isn't playing for the NTDP this year, so I'm pretty sure you can pack him in for London.

True, but he still hasn't officially signed yet, not sure why.
I'll probably take in some of the Knights camp on Tuesday (29th) and let everyone know if he shows.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site

The point is, Juan is acting like the USHL was beneath Gagner and held back his development yet this doesn't bear out given the kid didn't exactly tear it up. I could understand Juan's argument if a player was playing against opponents that were inferior to him but, from a statistical point of view, it is clear Gagner was on a level that challenged him quite a bit.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
Who does Gagne compare to?

Would he be like an Oshie/ Theo Flurry type player? Small, skilled and has some grit? Will he go in traffic? Is he a shooter or a passer?

I'm a knights fan and hope he is all he is made out to be.

Thanks in advance

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
The point is, Juan is acting like the USHL was beneath Gagner and held back his development yet this doesn't bear out given the kid didn't exactly tear it up. I could understand Juan's argument if a player was playing against opponents that were inferior to him but, from a statistical point of view, it is clear Gagner was on a level that challenged him quite a bit.

It my opinion, there can be no dispute that playing 85+ games with the London Knights in the OHL, with and against better players, going all the way to the OHL championship, would have served Gagner's development much better than playing for Sioux City in the USHL.

I didn't say or imply that the USHL didn't challenge him. But in comparison to the OHL, and practicing/playing every day with Schremp, Bolland, Kostistyn etc., under the direction of Dale Hunter? Please. He was the second leading scorer in Sioux City, behind DeSimone, whom I recall being a plug from Buffalo who never got a sniff from the OHL. A 16-year-old being one of the top two scorers on his OHL team would be extremely unusual.

A year ago at this time, no one in Ontario would have said that Bryan Cameron was a better player than his former long-time teammate Sam Gagner. Not even close. Yet Cameron makes the U-18 team, and Gagner doesn't. Why? Some of it must be attributable to the development that each player underwent this past season.

Transported Upstater

Petrecki is also a defensive player first, and offensive one second.

He's not a Top 10 selection next year due to his offensive statistics in the USHL, it's due to his entire potential skill package.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
It my opinion, there can be no dispute that playing 85+ games with the London Knights in the OHL, with and against better players, going all the way to the OHL championship, would have served Gagner's development much better than playing for Sioux City in the USHL.

But there can be serious despute that playing as a 17 yo Gagner's development could be limited in the OHL...vs. playing with the current NCAA champion Wisconsin Badgers (playing against draft picks that are 18-23 years old).

If you want to plateau his development at 16. Feel free to do so, but expect Sam's year as a 17 and 18 year old would be quite well served playing against a much more mature level of competition in the WCHA.

There is no right or wrong answer here. But choosing to bypass the CHL as a 16 yo and then bypass the NCAAs as a 17 yo is a questionable choice.

Transported Upstater

If you want to plateau his development at 16. Feel free to do so, but expect Sam's year as a 17 and 18 year old would be quite well served playing against a much more mature level of competition in the WCHA.

What's the guarantee that Gagner would receive the ice time on a scoring line this year with the Badgers that he would receive in London?

Wisconsin is the defending national champion, and they are a team that often caters more to upperclassmen than freshmen. They likely would not have close to the available opportunities next year as London. London just lost a lot of talent to graduation. Plus, they play a style much more conducive to Gagner's game.

This is dangerously approaching a NCAA-CHL debate, so I'll just say that for Gagner personally, I think the CHL is a better choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad