Where is our offense?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Behind the Net stats like Qualcomp were never meant to be quoted after very limited game samples and there used to be a disclaimer on that if there isn't still.

no, this is true... they are meant for a longer view, thats for sure

but that being said, if you have watched the games, it is VERY obvious that kruger is playing the RNH line against the other teams best line every game and that the 2nd line is getting a chance against weaker opposition... it's clear as day

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

but that being said, if you have watched the games, it is VERY obvious that kruger is playing the RNH line against the other teams best line every game and that the 2nd line is getting a chance against weaker opposition... it's clear as day

The first 3-4 games the Gagner line was getting nearly all of this. It was clear as day as well.:D

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The first 3-4 games the Gagner line was getting nearly all of this. It was clear as day as well.:D

i honestly don't remember that, lol... my memory ain't so good sometimes though, so this isn't surprising... the last few games it's been a steady diet of top lines for the RNH line though

my point was that they are getting the other teams top lines most of the time, and they are still a plus line that is scoring ... they are doing more than "okay" against other teams best lines, they are generally out-playing them... yes, even at 5v5 they are outplaying them... the RNH line is getting TONS of chances at ES, they just aren't cashing in on them yet (as RNH can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn right now, lol).... hall, eberle and RNH are the least of my worries, they are doing fine, better than fine in fact

my bigger worries center around how terrible whitney looks and secondary scoring from our bottom 6... you could include yaks defensive play in there as well, but i'm not sure you can expect a lot more from a raw 19 year old rookie in the NHL.... his defense will come with age and maturity, and we'll just have to live through the defensive gaffes (as painful as they might be)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The numbers I quoted were not Qual Comp or any of the variants of +/- related stats. Those stats are distorted by small sample sizes. The stats I quoted are %-ages of ES time played against each player so far. As such they give a very significant picture of the players each line is facing.

In the case of the first line they have played 2 games out of 8 against SJ. As a rough estimate that means about 25% of the ES numbers come from the games against SJ. This means that when the first line was on the ice at ES they were playing against Vlasic and Stuart, SJ top shutdown pair, about 60% of the time and against Thorton/Marleau/Pavelski about 53% of the time.

If you look at it the other way around Vlasic and Stuart have been assigned to the RNH line more than any other set of players. The Thorton line faced RNH's line about 16% of the time at ES. So they drew that mathcup almost 60% of the time that they were at ES vs the Oilers.

I also looked at OEL. He played 10% of his ES time this year against the RNH line. Given that he has only played about 13% of his time at ES vs the Oilers this means that he pretty much saw that line the whole game against Pheonix. The same holds for Colorado's top line and best defencemen as well as for JayBo.

Again, none of this is distroted by sample size. It is a straight forward refelction of who is playing against who.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You should be happy that Gags face easier competition:)
-4 could have been -12, that line doesnt looks like a defensive lock, but they doing great in pp and when facing loose teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The numbers I quoted were not Qual Com or any of the variants of +/- related stats. Those stats are distorted by small sample sizes. The stats I quoted are %-ages of ES time played against each player so far. As such they give a very significant picture of the players each line is facing.

In the case of the first line they have played 2 games out of 8 against SJ. As a rough estimate that means about 25% of the ES numbers come from the games against SJ. This means that when the first line was on the ice at ES they were playing against Vlasic and Stuart, SJ top shutdown pair, about 60% of the time and against Thorton/Marleau/Pavelski about 53% of the time.

If you look at it the other way around Vlasic and Stuart have been assigned to the RNH line more than any other set of players. The Thorton line faced RNH's line about 16% of the time at ES. So they drew that mathcup almost 60% of the time that they were at ES vs the Oilers.

I also looked at OEL. He played 10% of his ES time this year against the RNH line. Given that he has only played about 13% of his time at ES vs the Oilers this means that he pretty much saw that line the whole game against Pheonix. The same holds for Colorado's top line and best defencemen as well as for JayBo.

Again, none of this is distroted by sample size. It is a straight forward refelction of who is playing against who.
Feel free to let the board know where you're getting those numbers and actually link it. I looked high and low on behind the net for specifically what you were citing.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I don't understand this thread. We practically have two number one lines. We are seventh in the west today! We are only eight games into the season.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I don't understand this thread. We practically have two number one lines. We are seventh in the west today! We are only eight games into the season.

Oilers are only averaging 2.13 regulation goals per game. 10 of those have come in 3 games which means in the other 5 they are averaging 1.40 regulation goals per game. They average 26.4 shots in regulation. If you assume the NHL's average SV% is .915 that means they will only score 2.24 goals per game. It's an understandable thread.

The Perfect Human*

First line struggling. This is what's going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->