Where is our offense?

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Top two lines will start getting lucky breaks
Bottom two lines will be lucky to get one decent chance a game
Just watch anyother team and you cannot believe how SLOOOOWWWWWWW that "3rd" line is. The men paid to put this team together couldn't see the obvious last year, so they probably won't see the obvious this year. Vets are nice crappy vets are useless.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
We have no secondary scoring. Something like 1 goal through the entire season. That's absolutely horrendous.

Depth is absolutely essential for being a contender when chances dry up in the playoffs.

We need to either break up our top6 and put 1-2 guys on our 3rd line or hope that the 3rd/4th liners can pick it up.

This is what I've been moaning about as well. ZERO secondary scoring and its driving me nuts. If the top 2 forward lines aren't scoring, then nobody is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Too many cute plays that are not connecting. I would like to see some ugly goals to kick start their scoring. I think I was going to tear my hair out in frustration after hearing Debrusk comment on how many high quality scoring chances we have had because even if they are beautiful scoring chances, if they don't go in they mean nothing.

This.

The first line is guilty of not bringing it to the paint nearly often enough. They're guilty of trying to score hilite reel goals. Fact of the matter is they didn't score one goal today. When your top unit consisting of two #1 picks in the world, a previous75 pts scorer, and one of the best offensive D out there aren't getting it done its a huge problem that falls entirely on that line to fix. Given the minutes, PP time, the team focusing so much of the stars on that line it needs to produce regularly.

Heres something too. The 2nd line lately is getting a constant rotation of guys like Whitney. Yet people deem the 2nd line as defensively poor. Heres a simplification, Whitney is poor, in every aspect. Not only does he contribute nada offensively he's a regular landmine liability out there. If the first line were having to overcome the mistakes of guys like Whitney back there it would be a disaster right now.

AV's played a more disciplined game than us today. End of story.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
One thing I've noticed is how unlucky we are getting with deflections. Almost every deflection we get on a point shot either goes just wide, or just over the net. Another thing I have noticed is that it seems like the guys are just putting a touch too much heat on some of the passes in close. They are either coming in too hot to one time quickly, or they end up hopping and it ends up either going in the corner or with a weak flubbed shot on goal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Heres an easy way to digest whats wrong. Our vaunted first line, with fantastic support from J Schultz(who has been more effective than anybody on the top line) has only 5 goals so far this year. Despite receiving the most PP time. The best supporting D, etc.

The 2nd line forwards have 10 goals.

Whats wrong with that picture?

Are the first line forwards, first unit, getting it done? Really?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Offense from the D:

Justin Schultz 22 shots, 5 pts and +2 through 8 games

The other 6 dmen combined: 25 shots, 5 pts and -17 through 8 games.

In other words without J Schultz the dmen provide ******* once again offensively (and defensively as well obviously).

When a completely green rookie is doing better than all the rest of your dmen combined... you know you are in deep trouble on the blueline.

They desperately need some help from the backend for J Schultz. If Whitney or Petry can't do it (and we know Potter can't)... then it has to come from somewhere else outside the team in the form of an acquisition from somewhere.

I actually shudder to think what this defense would look like if Schultz didn't sign in EDM this past summer (or if he goes down with an injury).

Now the bottom 6 forwards:

A grand total of 2 goals and 3 assists from the bottom six in 8 games.

That's atrocious. Plus one of those goals was on the PP. So basically every second game the bottom 6 forwards "might" chip in a lone assist if you're lucky. Wooptie doo.

Throw in the fact that those bottom 6 players are a combined -11 and you really see they are ******** the bed down there.

54 shots by those bottom 6 forwards through 8 games. That's an average of less than 7 shots per game from the bottom 6 and they have atrocious accuracy so far as well... 2 goals in those 54 shots... 3.7% as a group (and again one of those goals was a PP marker. Only Petrell has an ES goal so far in the bottom 6).

Honestly I don't care how hated Omark is or how deficient he is defensively... we need some fricken skill in the bottom 6 or that bottom 6 is going to absolutely sink the team with their epic stone hands.

If that means getting Omark back... or pulling up Arcobello to see what he can do... then do it because what they have now certainly isn't working.

The Oilers need some obvious skill and vigor put into both the blueline and the bottom 6. The talents are all concentrated into a few areas and there is obviously still VERY little depth beyond the top assets.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One thing I've noticed is how unlucky we are getting with deflections. Almost every deflection we get on a point shot either goes just wide, or just over the net. Another thing I have noticed is that it seems like the guys are just putting a touch too much heat on some of the passes in close. They are either coming in too hot to one time quickly, or they end up hopping and it ends up either going in the corner or with a weak flubbed shot on goal.

Lets be clear here. You can't possibly deliver better service from guys like Schultz and Eberle who are excellent setup guys and RNH has zero goals. Staring at several empty nets this year. After 8GP. Its a problem. Hall not exactly lighting it up either.

Trying to make perfect plays all the time is contributing to the lack of first line production.

PikNailAndWeWontFail

Jun 16, 2012
For me it's taylor hall and his inability to finish. He has so many great chances every game but shoots it right into the goalies mid section. Dont get me wrong I love the guy but if he had better finishing ability he would be an unstoppable beast!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just thought about it another way... they are 1/6th of the way through the schedule now... and the bottom 6 have just 5 points in 8 games... projecting that over the entire 48 game season, they are on pace to have 30 pts between them all. To repeat, the entire bottom 6 will have 30 points in total at this rate. That's horrendous and obviously disastrous if they can't address those deficiencies soon.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Put the puck on the net. Don't make the extra pass. Don't shoot it wide.

Shoot the puck on net and get rebounds or deflections. This team should not be getting outshot every damn game.

A couple garbage goals to go along with the super-special-pretty-dangling ones would go a long way.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Lets be clear here. You can't possibly deliver better service from guys like Schultz and Eberle who are excellent setup guys and RNH has zero goals. Staring at several empty nets this year. After 8GP. Its a problem. Hall not exactly lighting it up either.

Trying to make perfect plays all the time is contributing to the lack of first line production.

It is...They need to put more pucks on the net. But, they also need to be a lot cleaner with their passing. Harti put one to Hemsky today that was way to hard. The shot RNH had at the open net hopped onto it's end just as he was shooting. Little things like that are costing the team goals right now.

I'm just not in panic mode right now like everyone else is. Not everyone is producing right off the start, it's going to happen. Hell Kessel and Ovechkin both have only just got their first goals. If you guys can't see the improvements this team has made over last year, and how they are a much better team already this year, then you aren't paying attention or are just choosing to only look at the bad parts of peoples games and not the good.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It is...They need to put more pucks on the net. But, they also need to be a lot cleaner with their passing. Harti put one to Hemsky today that was way to hard. The shot RNH had at the open net hopped onto it's end just as he was shooting. Little things like that are costing the team goals right now.

I'm just not in panic mode right now like everyone else is. Not everyone is producing right off the start, it's going to happen. Hell Kessel and Ovechkin both have only just got their first goals. If you guys can't see the improvements this team has made over last year, and how they are a much better team already this year, then you aren't paying attention or are just choosing to only look at the bad parts of peoples games and not the good.

Overall I'm fine with where the club is at, don't get me wrong, I was very positive after the loss in SJ and we got a point in that one. Trouble is this club is playing down to opposition and did it in Calgary and now Colorado. These are teams we should certainly beat, AV's are missing several key players and we lost. Thats a bad result.

This club has an easy time getting up for games against the better clubs. But when 2 pts are laying on the table they fall down. If not corrected that will be our undoing. This should be a playoff club we are looking at right now. Its time for them to discover being a winning team. Performances like this won't do that.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Offense from the D:

Justin Schultz 22 shots, 5 pts and +2 through 8 games

The other 6 dmen combined: 25 shots, 5 pts and -17 through 8 games.

In other words without J Schultz the dmen provide ******* once again offensively (and defensively as well obviously).

When a completely green rookie is doing better than all the rest of your dmen combined... you know you are in deep trouble on the blueline.
Eye-opening. Tambellini is probably completely oblivious.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Kessel still hasn't scored.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Just thought about it another way... they are 1/6th of the way through the schedule now... and the bottom 6 have just 5 points in 8 games... projecting that over the entire 48 game season, they are on pace to have 30 pts between them all. To repeat, the entire bottom 6 will have 30 points in total at this rate. That's horrendous and obviously disastrous if they can't address those deficiencies soon.
Projections based on a small sample size are meaningless. But the bottom 6 is definitely not generating much offense and seem to be a liability on defense as well.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Projections based on a small sample size are meaningless. But the bottom 6 is definitely not generating much offense and seem to be a liability on defense as well.

The thing is... in a short season like this if you wait until you get a big sample the season is over. :)

Tambo won't likely make a move either way but a shake up is definitely needed because 5 of 6 dmen slots and half the forwards are basically sinking the team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The thing is... in a short season like this if you wait until you get a big sample the season is over. :)

Tambo won't likely make a move either way but a shake up is definitely needed because 5 of 6 dmen slots and half the forwards are basically sinking the team.
I know and I agree with you for the most part. I hope we can add a big body to the top six and some skill to the bottom six. I think Tambo needs to move Whitney, PRV and Hemsky for those needs.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
1. Lots of people are going to disagree but this team is too small and cute. We need size and grit now, if we want to go anywhere. Think of the amount of goals scored via gritty, cycle style goals that are scored in the NHL versus dangly, cute set up goals. We need to start getting the puck to the net and playing tough, to neutralize the opposite defence. By being tough along the boards and controlling the puck via size, we can increase our puck possession and the overall flow of the goal, like the sharks etc.

2. We need our d-man to develop some chemistry and synchronize with top 9. Justin Schultz + the kid line isn't nearly enough offence from the defensive corps. Plus the d and forwards need to work together to reduce faulty passes and turnovers, this could be worked on through communication and coaching.

3. The kid line needs to stop being so cute with their datsukian dangles, we need to get the puck to the net and score some garbage goals. So many goals and scoring chances have resulted from poor turnovers due to over fancy stick work. Easy fix and I believe the kids will get better as time passes and as they learn the game.

4. Dubnyks been playing great, could work on his confidence on ice, but thats not a biggie.

Last edited:

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
1. Lots of people are going to disagree but this team is too small and cute. We need size and grit now, if we want to go anywhere. Think of the amount of goals scored via gritty, cycle style goals are scored in the NHL versus dangly, cute set up goals. We need to start getting the puck to the net and playing tough, to neutralize the opposite defence. By being tough along the boards and controlling the puck via size, we can increase our puck possession and the overall flow of the goal, like the sharks etc.

2. We need our d-man to develop some chemistry and synchronize with top 9. Justin Schultz + the kid line isn't nearly enough offence from the defensive corps. Plus the d and forwards need to work together to reduce faulty passes and turnovers, this could be worked on through communication and coaching.

3. The kid line needs to stop being so cute with their datsukian dangles, we need to get the puck to the net and score some garbage goals. So many goals and scoring chances have resulted from poor turnovers due to over fancy stick work. Easy fix and I believe the kids will get better as time passes and as they learn the game.

4. Dubnyks been playing great, could work on his confidence on ice, but thats not a biggie.
I don't think that anybody is going to disagree with what you said about the Oilers' offensive approach. It's all predicated on scoring off the rush and fancy dipsy doodle dangling. The forward group need an injection of size AND skill.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Just a tip for people, combining the +/- of a line to get bigger numbers isn't accurate.

If a forward line gets scored on, they are -3. If a defensive pairing gets scored on, they are -2.

For example:
Throw in the fact that those bottom 6 players are a combined -11 and you really see they are ******** the bed down there.

No, they're not ******** the bed by that -11. What that -11 says is that the bottom six gets outscored by about 1 goal every two games. It's not fantastic, but it's not ******** the bed. It also double counts the offensive woes. Yes, they are struggling offensively, which is going to directly affect their ability to outscore the opposition, which is going to negatively impact their +/-.

Given that they only have ONE ES goal between them, this means that the bottom 6 has been on the ice for about 5 goals against in the last 8 games. Is this really "******** the bed" defensively? For comparison sake, the second line by itself has been outscored by about 5 goals on their own (since their combined +/- is -14 right now).

Never ever, ever combine +/-. It's misleading to do so and you're going to get numbers that don't accurately reflect anything.

ES scoring throughout the lineup is an issue, unless your name is Taylor Hall.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Heres an easy way to digest whats wrong. Our vaunted first line, with fantastic support from J Schultz(who has been more effective than anybody on the top line) has only 5 goals so far this year. Despite receiving the most PP time. The best supporting D, etc.

The 2nd line forwards have 10 goals.

Whats wrong with that picture?

Are the first line forwards, first unit, getting it done? Really?

The first line is getting the most sustained offensive pressure by far. I'm really not that concerned about them, RNH is a little snake bitten and 2 strong games from them could close that gap entirely. The 3 of them have taken a huge jump in the match-ups they are getting and we shouldn't expect them to continue at the same point levels cause of it. This is a huge step in their maturation process and IMO they are handling it very well, and if you've noticed them seem to get hemmed in far less than last year while facing better competition on top of it.

Our primary concern should be how little we are getting out of our 3rd and 4th lines. Jones should help a bit when he gets back, but most of his offense comes off break-aways, which won't really help his line mates get more goals.

IMHO we had the worst 4th line in the entire league last year and yet we decided it best to reassemble them back together. I'm not sure if the numbers showed this to also be the case, but I suspect if there was a 4th line that was worse at the very least that line probably provided a lot of toughness and some intimidation. Tambo you're awesome :laugh:.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Is it me or did Taylor Hall,Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have so much more in their jump when Renney was coach?

They were getting sheltered with soft minutes under Renney, Kreuger is playing them power vs power usually.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The first line is getting the most sustained offensive pressure by far. I'm really not that concerned about them, RNH is a little snake bitten and 2 strong games from them could close that gap entirely. The 3 of them have taken a huge jump in the match-ups they are getting and we shouldn't expect them to continue at the same point levels cause of it. This is a huge step in their maturation process and IMO they are handling it very well, and if you've noticed them seem to get hemmed in far less than last year while facing better competition on top of it.

Our primary concern should be how little we are getting out of our 3rd and 4th lines. Jones should help a bit when he gets back, but most of his offense comes off break-aways, which won't really help his line mates get more goals.

IMHO we had the worst 4th line in the entire league last year and yet we decided it best to reassemble them back together. I'm not sure if the numbers showed this to also be the case, but I suspect if there was a 4th line that was worse at the very least that line probably provided a lot of toughness and some intimidation. Tambo you're awesome :laugh:.

The fourth line looked OK when it was Paajarvi, Hartikainen and Belanger. Horcoff being hurt and the Oilers choosing to send Paajarvi down instead of Hordichuk put an end to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad