Where is Maxime Ouelett?

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Playing NHL 2007 on his PS2 is what I'm guessing.

What happened to this kid? All the potential in the world, but he never panned out.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
I remember when he was quite the prospect and also had a decent showing at the World Juniors.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
He was a fairly high pick by Philadelphia 1st round 22 nd overall. Never lived up to expectations. Was traded to Washington didn't play much behind Kolzig. Signed in Vancouver and wasn't good at all. To me If a goalie has been traded 3 or more times and hasn't yet established himself he never will.

germanative

May 27, 2004
I read last week in Journal du Québec about him. He waiting for a pro-contract, if not he thinks to becoming hockey coach. He puts his problems on the back of the injuries and owing to the fact that the team(Washington) didn't give him a chance behind Kolzig, in spite of good performances in AHL and NHL as backup.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
He was a fairly high pick by Philadelphia 1st round 22 nd overall. Never lived up to expectations. Was traded to Washington didn't play much behind Kolzig. Signed in Vancouver and wasn't good at all. To me If a goalie has been traded 3 or more times and hasn't yet established himself he never will.

Manny Legace was
-- drafted low by Hartford
-- traded for future considerations to LA
-- signed as a free agent by Detroit
-- claimed off waivers by Vancouver
-- claimed off waivers by Detroit

... then became an NHL regular.

So it can happen. Unlikely, but possible.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Manny Legace was

Well, technically he was moved 3 times as that moving on waivers back and forth was in a short time (like Brookbank in 03-04).

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He made a brief appearance in Pittsburgh during their game against the Devils, but he played forward instead of goalie, and he looks a lot like Michel Ouellet these days.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I read last week in Journal du Québec about him. He waiting for a pro-contract, if not he thinks to becoming hockey coach. He puts his problems on the back of the injuries and owing to the fact that the team(Washington) didn't give him a chance behind Kolzig, in spite of good performances in AHL and NHL as backup.
Washington didnt completely give him a chance...but I wouldnt say his performances in the AHL and NHL were all that good...just ok. The 02-03 season was pretty good with the 10 SO's...just a crappy W/L record since Tim Army was coach with no sense of offense. His season during the lock out was a bit of a disappointment...but the Pirates were just not motivated as a whole that year.

I think there was more to the story on Ouellet not getting that back up role a year ago and them going out and getting Brent Johnson. Sure it could have been just a ack of faith in his ability...but the media here didn't get any answers and the Caps barely mentioned anything about it when it happened. Just that they got Johnson off waivers.

Then when Ouellet goes down to Hershey...they don't even play him except for one game (he was shelled). The whole thing was weird from a Caps fan perspective.

Hopefully Varlamov makes up forget about Ouellet. Daigneault still has some hopes as well.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
seems to be the problem with drafting keepers. Sometimes they pan out and stick in the NHL, like Brodeur, Luongo, Kolzig and like Ward , Fleury and Toivonen seem to be doing. It seems like you get a majority of 1st round goalies flopping like 99ers Ouellet, Ahonen, Finley, then Damphousse etc. too.

Goalies do take time to develop. Much longer, usually, than any other position. Giguere, 1st rounder #13 in 95, first full NHL season in 2001-02, Jay McKee #14 in 95, first full NHL season in 1998-99. This kind of thing is even more prominent now, with the UFA age dropping. Keepers are hard to judge, hard to project and hard to develop.

There are later round successes too which shows the unpredictability of goalie drafting:
Nabokov rd 9 in 94
Kiprusoff rd 5 in 95
Vokoun rd 9 in 94
Raycroft rd 5 in 98
Roy rd 3 in 84
Hasek rd 10 in 83

Roger's Pancreas*

And yet some people continue to call it a bad trade.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I just remember Barry Melrose on nhl2nite the day he got traded saying the Flyers just traded away their next Bernie Parent..:biglaugh:

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
And yet some people continue to call it a bad trade.
I think at the time, given Max's stature it was bad from a flyers perspective.

It was Oates to Philly for Max O, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks i believe. Oates then never resigned in Philly, and Max O turned to ****.

It would probably be like the bruins trading savard in the last year of his contract for Irving, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Manny Legace was

Dwayne Roloson's career is proof of that. He deserves the Masterton Trophy for what he's accomplished. Tim Thomas has been around the block a few times too.

http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/roloson.html
Signed as free agent by Calgary Flames, July 4, 1994.
Signed as free agent by Buffalo Sabres, July 9, 1998.
Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets in National Hockey League Expansion Draft, June 23, 2000.
Signed as free agent by St. Louis Blues, July 14, 2000.
Signed as free agent by Minnesota Wild, July 2, 2001.
Agreed to multiyear extension with Minnesota Wild, March 11, 2003.
Signed with Lukko Rauma (SM-Liiga) during National Hockey League lockout, October 18, 2004.
Traded by Wild to Edmonton Oilers in exchange for first-round selection (and conditional third-round selection) in 2006 National Hockey League entry draft, March 8, 2006.
Resigned as unrestricted free agent to three-year, $11 million contract by Oilers, July 1, 2006.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
seems to be the problem with drafting keepers. Sometimes they pan out and stick in the NHL, like Brodeur, Luongo, Kolzig and like Ward , Fleury and Toivonen seem to be doing. It seems like you get a majority of 1st round goalies flopping like 99ers Ouellet, Ahonen, Finley, then Damphousse etc. too.

Goalies do take time to develop. Much longer, usually, than any other position. Giguere, 1st rounder #13 in 95, first full NHL season in 2001-02, Jay McKee #14 in 95, first full NHL season in 1998-99. This kind of thing is even more prominent now, with the UFA age dropping. Keepers are hard to judge, hard to project and hard to develop.

There are later round successes too which shows the unpredictability of goalie drafting:
Nabokov rd 9 in 94
Kiprusoff rd 5 in 95
Vokoun rd 9 in 94
Raycroft rd 5 in 98
Roy rd 3 in 84
Hasek rd 10 in 83

add these guys to the list

nikolai khabibulin rd 9 in 92
ryan miller rd 5 in 99
manny fernandez rd 3 in 92
marty turco rd 5 in 94
david aebischer rd 6 in 97
christobal huet rd 7 in 01
martin gerber rd 8 in 01
manny legace rd 8 in 93
antero niittymaki rd 6 in 98
henrik lundqvist rd 7 in 00
vesa toskala rd 4 in 95
ray emery rd 4 in 01

and you have some undrafted guys

jusrtis joseph
dwayne roloson
ed belfour
curtis sanford

i agree with you. many of the best goalies is picked later then round 2-3 or not drafted at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad