where is marek swartz playing this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
He went back to Czech Rep. he's playing with Sparta but his stats seem to be unavailable.. I hope he's doing good, and also that he plans on coming back to NA!

Jim Motion12

Aug 24, 2005
his there some chance this guy play in the nhl with his talent?

+ do you think he will play for his country at the next junior world tournament
let me know please

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Jim Motion12 said:
his there some chance this guy play in the nhl with his talent?

+ do you think he will play for his country at the next junior world tournament
let me know please

Schwarz has the talent to be an nhl goaltender if not an all star in the league. From what i saw of his last year with Vancouver he needs to work on his position play and his mental games/consistancy. He will make an amazing save 1 minute and let in a very weak goal another. That could very well keep him out of the NHL but the rest of his game is extremely impressive.

He should be in the next world juniors unless his team doesn't release him, which would be surprising. He will almost definitely be starting in goal for the czech team.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Fripp said:
In all honesty, he had a really bad year for Vancouver last year for someone who's supposedly NHL-bound.

I personally think that a future NHL starting goalie should be absolutely dominating against CHL opponents. I have a hard enough time believing Dubnyk will make it to the NHL... I have an even harder time believing Schwarz will.

I know... he had culture shock and all that, but Schwarz's performace last year should raise big alarm bells IMO.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
His return to Europe should raise even more alarm bells.

The success rate of players, including prospects, who come to NA and then return to Europe is not impressive.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
His return to Europe should raise even more alarm bells.

The success rate of players, including prospects, who come to NA and then return to Europe is not impressive.

Rather than 'unimpressive', I'd say 'random'. There are genuine causes for players going bust NHL-wise, and one has yet to come up for Schwarz.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Pekka Lampinen said:
Rather than 'unimpressive', I'd say 'random'. There are genuine causes for players going bust NHL-wise, and one has yet to come up for Schwarz.

There have been an underwhelming number of prospects who come to play in North America, then return to Europe, who ultimately go on to have an NHL career.

This is not to say that it is impossible.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Pekka Lampinen said:

Wouldn't the fact that a player was not very good as a WHL goalie be an indication that a player might bust?

dmcilvan

Oct 25, 2004
I'll admit that he was barely adaquate for the Giants last season, but he definitely showed he could up his game to the next level at the World Juniors last year. In my eyes, it was a toss up whether I was more impressed by Schwarz or Olesz; both of whom were tournament all-stars if I remember correctly.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
oil slick said:
I personally think that a future NHL starting goalie should be absolutely dominating against CHL opponents. I have a hard enough time believing Dubnyk will make it to the NHL... I have an even harder time believing Schwarz will.

I know... he had culture shock and all that, but Schwarz's performace last year should raise big alarm bells IMO.

It might not equate to goaltenders...but there are numerous European NHLers that were just 'average' their first year in the CHL.
I think for goalies at that stage of development potential is more important than performance. Ovbiously you'd like to have both - but Schwarz is one of those goalies that has an innate set of physical skills you just can't teach. It's really all about developing those skills and putting it all together. He might not have the mental consistancy for it though. :dunno:

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
oil slick said:
Wouldn't the fact that a player was not very good as a WHL goalie be an indication that a player might bust?

Key word, 'indication'. Despite people looking for the cause for that as well in this thread, no one has been clearly able to pass judgment.

You have to watch him play - he has the ability and tehnique, but obviously I don't know his mental makeup. Even professional player personnel rarely seem to manage that.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
oil slick said:
I personally think that a future NHL starting goalie should be absolutely dominating against CHL opponents.

Even Martin Brodeur wasn't absolutely dominating in the QMJHL. In fact, he wasn't really even dominating. Both J-F Labbe and Jocelyn Thibault had better Q careers. :dunno:

Aside from that OT, the St. Louis goaltending pipeline is about as rammed as a pipeline could possibly be. With Lalime as the top choice for starter, it left Curtis Sanford, Reinhard Divis, Jason Bacashihua, Chris Beckford-Tseu, and Marek Schwarz all fighting for spots.

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm pretty sure that since Schwarz would be the only player out of that bunch to gain anything from playing in the Czech Rep. it was made so. Sanford and Divis are reliable back-ups, Bacashihua needs more development (i.e. playing time), and putting Beckford-Tseu in Europe would make no sense.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
oil slick said:

And the Giants' atrocious defense had nothing at all to do with Schwarz's performance.

Most goalies playing behind that defense wouldn't have done much better.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
SneakerPimp82 said:
And the Giants' atrocious defense had nothing at all to do with Schwarz's performance.

Most goalies playing behind that defense wouldn't have done much better.

OK - and from all reports from fans of the Giants, Schwarz was really not very good as well. And then there were the world juniors where he played great... I don't know what to believe.

Either way, to dismiss an entire season where he himself did not perform very well (by all acounts) is stupid. I'm not saying he'll bust or anything, but it puts a big question mark over him I would think.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
oil slick said:
OK - and from all reports from fans of the Giants, Schwarz was really not very good as well. And then there were the world juniors where he played great... I don't know what to believe.

Either way, to dismiss an entire season where he himself did not perform very well (by all acounts) is stupid. I'm not saying he'll bust or anything, but it puts a big question mark over him I would think.

I'm not dismissing it, but I'm not too worried about it either. It was his first year on the smaller NA ice surface, and playing behind a pretty bad defense didn't help matters, not to mention all the other cultural adjustments as well. He's the no. 1 goalie on a very good Czech Elite League team, and playing very well, so again I'm not that worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->