Where is Lecavalier's goal rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Last nights game between the Czechs and Canadians was one of the best I've seen as far as excitement goes. But where is Vinny's dramatic goal rated in Canada's history? Of course its not near Henderson ro even Lemieux. Its not similar to Sittler in '76 either. Since it was a great game and a semi final game I compare it to 1984.
Back then Canada and Russia played to a 2-2 tie before Bossy tipped in Coffey's point shot sending Canada onto an easy two win final against Sweden. Not saying the Finns are easy, but you may argue that the winner of the tourny may have been played last night. All I can say is that this game will define 2004 for Canada just like Bossy's goal. What do the rest of you think?

Leafer72*

Re

I think it ties with the Yzerman goal in 96 aganist Sweden in overtime to send them in the finals but like cds said it depends on Tuesday's result

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The '96 goal against Sweden was actually Fleury. Yzerman got the game winner in Game 1 against the USA. We lost the next two so its not as important as say Lecavalier's and then having us beat Finland.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
re

Garfield said:
Not very high on my list. I've been more excited over some World Junior goals than this one.

Sorry but does this have anything to do with you being a Flames fan and Lecavalier's performance in Game 7?? You can't honestly say any of those world junior goals are more important to Canadian Hockey than Vinnys

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
quick said:
Sorry but does this have anything to do with you being a Flames fan and Lecavalier's performance in Game 7?? You can't honestly say any of those world junior goals are more important to Canadian Hockey than Vinnys

:shakehead

I don't care if it was Heatley, Thornton or Shane Doan. If it was Iginla, of course I would be little more excited but Vinny being a Lightning player has nothing to do with it. I actually like Lecavalier, its St. Louis & Richards that I don't like. Even still, I would have loved for any Canadian player to score that goal.

I'm not sure why but this whole tournament I haven't been too excited. I never said the WJ goals were more important, I just got more excited over some of those goals.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

it's not exactly Paul Henderson in magnitude, and he did initially FAN on it...but a pretty huge goal, considering Canada was back on their heels and getting lumped up for most of the 3rd period.
watch for them to come out of the box SMOKING tues. nite, because if that OT GWG wasn't a reprieve, i don't know what is.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
cds said:
It all depends on what happens on Tuesday, IMO.

True, its like the Miracle on Ice, if the US had lost to the Finns the next game, the game aginst to Soviets would have just looked like a dissapointing upset.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I guess it depends on two things:
1) Canada has to win for this to be a memorable goal, and
2) there must not be a more compelling goal in the final game.

Let's remember Paul Henderson scored the game winning goals in the last THREE games in '72. Nobody ever talks about the game 6 or game 7 goals - we only remember game 8.

Ahhh...let's reminisce....

"Here's a shot. Henderson makes a wild stab for it and falls," Foster Hewitt breathlessly described. "Here's another shot. Right in front. They Score!! Henderson has scored for Canada!"
:bow: (and that dudes not in the Hall of Fame, and Tretiak is....go figure....).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm going on the assumption that Canada wins this one tonight. If they dont it will be forgotten. But chances are they will and have an easier game tonight. In that case, I compare it close to Bossy's '84 goal

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I don't know. I think it's in the class of Steve Larmer against Mike Richter in '91. Not a real goal of huge consequence when compared to Lemieux in '87.

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Fish on The Sand said:
Henderson did nothing but score 1 goal :shakehead

If you’re talking about the summit series than Henderson was everything. He had the game winning goal in the last three games of the series and third best in pts in the series with 10 pts.

If Henderson is in the hall of fame for being a major contributor in that historical series defined clutch than that is truly why he is in the hall of fame.

Now if you ment NHL career that is another story i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad