Where is Jake Gardiner. Is Randy sending him a message?Is anyone untouchable?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I think people forget the Marlies need to be successful as well

The AHL can teach Gardiner some more defensive responsibility and there is no damage to him playing in the AHL opposed to the NHL in regards to his own success and development (emphasis on development because he is 22). No rush, let Eakins work with him more, seems to have worked so far with others.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think people forget the Marlies need to be successful as well

The AHL can teach Gardiner some more defensive responsibility and there is no damage to him playing in the AHL opposed to the NHL in regards to his own success and development (emphasis on development because he is 22). No rush, let Eakins work with him more, seems to have worked so far with others.

I don't buy that. Jake Gardiner has already excelled as an NHL top four defenseman and would be there had he not suffered a concussion. There's no sense in burning up precious ELC time on a guy who can make a big contribution to the big club just because the "Marlies need to be successful as well". We're not the '83 Islanders. There's no rush at this particular moment, but Gards needs to be back up as soon as possible, because I don't see the Kostka, Fraser experiment being a long term benefit to the organization.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I'm just curious...I've noticed that in the 2 games Gardiner has played he's got an average of almost 20 minutes TOI.

I haven't watched many Toronto games, but in the ones I've seen Franson has looked pretty good. He doesn't seem to get nearly as much TOI as other defencemen though. Is there a reason for this? Statistically speaking he's been your best defenceman this year and he has looked good from everything I've seen. I know that Gardiner is super talented but isn't he just coming off injury, too?

Just find it weird.

Cody Franson has the most points for Leafs D-men and his defensive partner Mark Fraser currently owns the top +/- on the team (Cody being 2nd I believe). Both have good chemistry and are playing extremely well. However, both are playing 3rd pairing sheltered minutes mostly with the Leafs 3rd line who matches up with a weaker opposition. Their chemistry will keep them together and I don't see Fraser getting 15-20 minutes a night so I highly doubt Franson will be seeing more ice time then 16-18 minutes a night. Add on to that the fact that at some point Jake Gardiner will be back up and that gives us 4 defenseman who can easily eat up 20 minutes per night. All in all the most ideal lineup will end up being the following.

Phaneuf - Holzer (23-25 minutes per game IDEALLY)
Gardiner - Gunnarsson (20-22 minutes per game IDEALLY)
Franson - Fraser (15-19 minutes per game IDEALLY)
Liles/Komisarek

Next season,

Phaneuf - Holzer
Gardiner - Franson
Reilly - Gunnarsson
Fraser

SteveV*

Gardiner will be fine.

Typical overreaction by leaf nation.

Yes, people critiquing his play as though indicative fail to realize the guy was on a couch for two months doing absolutely nothing but stewing. I think we have seen with many players, getting over a concussion takes a long time. I also believe the Leafs realized this fact very quickly which is why Gardiner was sent down, NOW he is returning to form. Again, cut Gardiner some slack and don't think he has really regressed, otherwise you'll make a stupid move and regret it for years. Gardiner is going to have a long, great career. Is he perfect yet? Well DUH!

Marlboro

Feb 7, 2012
LeafsNation
he's practising his Blue steel.

bigpic3_jake.jpg

Leafs need to trade away some D to make room

stish

Gardiner is not playing (currently) on the big club why exactly? He had a concussion, and is playing in the AHL to recover? Sure send guys who have a head injury down to play in that league. He's not playing because he does not play with any edge to his game. If the Leafs could trade him for a Luke Schenn type player, it would be a good move. If you can't see how important toughness is on D now that the Leafs finally have it, then you need to c'mon.

You mean a slow, useless defenceman? Why would we want one of those?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->