Where is Jake Gardiner. Is Randy sending him a message?Is anyone untouchable?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Thought I read last night on Twitter, someone had said Gardiner played 30 minutes against Houston, including a full 2:00 minute stint on the PP.

Eakins says he's ready.

I was at the Marlies game yesterday - Gardiner definitely looks ready - he was dominant out there against the Aeros. He was all over the ice - not quite sure his TOI was 30 minutes, but I wouldn't doubt it was close including OT.

Both he and Connolly definitely do not belong down there - Eakins has already said this for the both of them. What worries me with Gards is that yes, it's probably best for him to build up his confidence and not rush him up, but there's nothing to say he won't get another concussion while down with the Marlies - he plays so much and in every situation that anything can happen and that would be catastrophic.

(As an aside, Colborne also looked good out there yesterday - he has good vision and nice hands, but I wasn't impressed with his skating - something tells me he's going to have a hard time staying up with the Leafs unless he works on it more.)

Pulp Fiction

RIP Wade Belak
Dec 28, 2009
Grabo's Pineapple
Has anyone seen him play recently? How has he looked relative to pre-injury form?

His game on Monday was by far his best game of the year, he also played over half the game, so it wasn't just great play that stood out.

Otherwise, IMO he's been an average AHL'er for the past month or so.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
His game on Monday was by far his best game of the year, he also played over half the game, so it wasn't just great play that stood out.

holzer is the only one that doesnt have to clear waivers ...id keep fraser over kotska , i lke holzer too .....its liles that's mucking things up ,gardiner is bigger ,younger version of liles ,just not sure what the leafs will do ,sad part is ,its not the younger ,newer guys that are mesing up ......just not enough from .grabo ,kullemin and kessel this year ,along with liles ,who was a pp quarterback i his last gig .......

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

In my observation... this has been the real (and only) issue with Gardner. I'm quite sure that he'll be back with the Leafs when the guy we saw last year shows up again.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Weird choices?

I'm just curious...I've noticed that in the 2 games Gardiner has played he's got an average of almost 20 minutes TOI.

I haven't watched many Toronto games, but in the ones I've seen Franson has looked pretty good. He doesn't seem to get nearly as much TOI as other defencemen though. Is there a reason for this? Statistically speaking he's been your best defenceman this year and he has looked good from everything I've seen. I know that Gardiner is super talented but isn't he just coming off injury, too?

Just find it weird.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Get rid of Kostka. Send him to the Marlies and call up Jake.

What has Kostka done with the Leafs this year to warrant we get rid of him? He plays a far safer game than Gardiner and he has been solid for RC, obviously RC thinks so, he's playing the heck out of him.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Gardiner has been in the AHL a while, so are you referring to the two games at the beginning of the season? That's all he's played.

AFAIK, Franson has been getting more and more ice time as we scale back guys like Kostka. I'm sure someone can pull the TOI in recent games. But I agree, I really like Franson and he's been solid for us.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Gardiner is down with the Marlies finding his game post injury. The team is playing well without him, but I imagine it will come to a head soon and a move will be made to get him back into the lineup.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
I'm just curious...I've noticed that in the 2 games Gardiner has played he's got an average of almost 20 minutes TOI.

I haven't watched many Toronto games, but in the ones I've seen Franson has looked pretty good. He doesn't seem to get nearly as much TOI as other defencemen though. Is there a reason for this? Statistically speaking he's been your best defenceman this year and he has looked good from everything I've seen. I know that Gardiner is super talented but isn't he just coming off injury, too?

Just find it weird.

Franson rarely plays PK. Also, he is terribly slow and bad defensively. Gardiner should be up, kostka should be waived.

Whydidijoin*

Record during Lockout with 8 NHL players on the roster: 21 - 13

Record post Lockout with current roster: 5 - 9

I would be very surprised if they make the playoffs.
And since you don't seem to understand, I will post it again:

FlyingV said:
There has not been enough time to properly evaluate them since the NHL came back, especially with most players stepping into entirely new roles, or playing after not playing at all (or in a lower league).

Even still, we have not been horrible, and it seems like every game we do lose is by one goal.

We were also one of the best teams in the league before the NHL started back up, and got a significant lead in the standings.

We are 2 points off of the freaking division lead, and we have played 5 less games than the leader!
Once again, 2 points back, and 5 less games.

And 7 of those 9 losses were by 1 goal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sure Nonis is working the phones hoping to find new homes for Komisarek and Liles with the main intent behind that being Gardiner's promotion opportunity back up from the AHL.

Alflives*

Franson rarely plays PK. Also, he is terribly slow and bad defensively. Gardiner should be up, kostka should be waived.

You must be trolling. Waive Kostka? Franson is bad defensively? The Leafs finally have a big tough group of D to support Phaneuf, and you want to change the direction by bringing in Gardiner? Forget that. If anything, trade Gardiner for another tough guy, who is hard to play against.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Gardiner needs to get gritty and be willing to drop the gloves if he wants to make the NHL team.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Gee really? Is that what it means when you say 4 complete seasons?

:shakehead

You realize that last year was his 3rd right? Maybe you should go look up stats before you start running your mouth. He got to play on the Marlies becuse his OHL team's season ended, not because he played 4 years. All CHL players are alowed to play in the AHL when their CHL team's season is done, years of service doesn't matter.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Has anyone seen him play recently? How has he looked relative to pre-injury form?

He's played 30+ minutes in each of his last 2 games, and has looked dominant, IMO he's starting to out grow the AHL.

Either trade him or call him up, he is an NHL defenceman.

P.S marlies game on today at 7pm on Leafs tv, I'll post a link before 7.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
You must be trolling. Waive Kostka? Franson is bad defensively? The Leafs finally have a big tough group of D to support Phaneuf, and you want to change the direction by bringing in Gardiner? Forget that. If anything, trade Gardiner for another tough guy, who is hard to play against.

And what you're doing isn't trolling? C'mon, man listen to yourself, trade Gards for a tough guy? Sure, because I'm sure we'd all be completely happy if the Leafs traded Jake for Parros, Ott, Thornton or BizzNasty. Do you even watch NHL? Or do you just read SS articles, watch OTR and/or rants from various sources on this site? Puckmoving D-men are rarity, big hulking bruisers are not.

Alflives*

And what you're doing isn't trolling? C'mon, man listen to yourself, trade Gards for a tough guy? Sure, because I'm sure we'd all be completely happy if the Leafs traded Jake for Parros, Ott, Thornton or BizzNasty. Do you even watch NHL? Or do you just read SS articles, watch OTR and/or rants from various sources on this site? Puckmoving D-men are rarity, big hulking bruisers are not.

Gardiner is not playing (currently) on the big club why exactly? He had a concussion, and is playing in the AHL to recover? Sure send guys who have a head injury down to play in that league. He's not playing because he does not play with any edge to his game. If the Leafs could trade him for a Luke Schenn type player, it would be a good move. If you can't see how important toughness is on D now that the Leafs finally have it, then you need to c'mon.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I understand wanting toughness but I don't think we need EVERY defenceman to be a tough guy. Do people remember just how good Jake was for us last year? Team is simply better with him in the lineup.

If he truly is back to 100%, i'd like to see him back up and one of Kostka/Fraser/Holzer become the 7th D or sent back down. Not sure which one goes though.

I can definately see a defenceman or 2 moving at the deadline though.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Gardiner is not playing (currently) on the big club why exactly? He had a concussion, and is playing in the AHL to recover? Sure send guys who have a head injury down to play in that league. He's not playing because he does not play with any edge to his game. If the Leafs could trade him for a Luke Schenn type player, it would be a good move. If you can't see how important toughness is on D now that the Leafs finally have it, then you need to c'mon.

Trolololol? Gardiner's in the AHL because he's the only defensemen we have who's not eligible for waivers. Sending a guy down to make room for him would run the risk of losing him for nothing, which is poor asset management.

If the Leafs wanted another Luke Schenn type, the wouldn't have ****ing traded Luke Schenn.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Let him keep playing down there. Once he gets a string of games like the last one, call him up. We arent in any rush. Kostka is playing good in his diminished role lately, Korbi has been pretty good with Dion, though I'd prefer to see him with Franson or Fraser on the 3rd pairing, and Fraser has been a revelation. Who can go down? He hasnt really outplayed anyone yet. We're still winning, playing good (Except for 57 minutes last night). Let him fully recover. Until one of the 3 callups falter, theres no use in calling him up until hes absolutely ready.

SteveV*

Get rid of Kostka. Send him to the Marlies and call up Jake.

Agreed(press box), particularly on the powerplay. Kostka is a good depth guy, but he has sure tapered off from the weird training camp high that propelled him into the NHL. Nobody will ever convince me that Kostka is better than Liles either; if anything I think Carlyle has messed with JML's head giving career AHLer all these minutes based on performance in a stupid truncated training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad