Where is Jake Gardiner. Is Randy sending him a message?Is anyone untouchable?

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Komisarek is our 9th d-man right now and I don't think he is really in the conversation after Holzer-Kostka-Fraser all passed him on the depth chart.

Slightly OT, but I find it so interesting that Komisarek has actually been darn good this year and still cannot crack the lineup at the moment. We've really had a LOT of pleasant surprises on the blueline.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
and Gardiner is in the AHL, i can see a trade happening soon to make room for Gardiner (as we have a lot of depth) but id rather him being counted on as the #1 and playing 25+min a night in the AHL, could be good for his confidence as well as showcasing our other D who we want to trade.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Agreed, but it's only natural when you have that kind of talent and want to make an impact right away. Time spent in the AHL with a coach like Eakins can only help him simplify his game and once the time is right to be called back up the Leafs I think we will see a much improved Gardiner. Eakins did it with Frattin, Kadri, and now Gardiner. I have full confidence with Eakins in the AHL, hopefully he's still around when Riley plays there next season.

Unfortunately for Rielly, its either back to Juniors or with the Leafs next year, as he will still be inelligible to play with the Marlies due to his age. IMO, he has nothing left to learn playing in the juniors, especially on such a horrible team. He pretty much will have to play with the Leafs, but with very sheltered minutes to start.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Thought I read last night on Twitter, someone had said Gardiner played 30 minutes against Houston, including a full 2:00 minute stint on the PP.

Eakins says he's ready.

But, bringing him up creates a further logjam.

Unless you put Liles or Komisarek on waivers...I believe Holzer is still waiver exempt..not sure about Kostka or Fraser. If they are not...all would be claimed.

Liles might be the most expendable. Komisarek too. But wouldn't fetch much in return.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Unfortunately for Rielly, its either back to Juniors or with the Leafs next year, as he will still be inelligible to play with the Marlies due to his age. IMO, he has nothing left to learn playing in the juniors, especially on such a horrible team. He pretty much will have to play with the Leafs, but with very sheltered minutes to start.

If the Marlies can make the playoffs and if Reilly team does not he can then play with the Marlies. However, it really does not look like the Marlies will be making the playoffs this year.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
It will take like 3 NHL games before he becomes waiver eligible so Leafs have to be sure when he comes up because he will have to stick. If there is the slight doubt his game is 100% yet or he's not feeling 100%, its fine to let him play it out in the AHL. He'll come up at some point this season.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
On this episode we ask the question whats up with Jake Gardiner? Is anyone untouchable. Is Randy sending him a message?

Leaf Matters podcast
mp3
http://podalmighty.com/index.php/component/k2/item/169-leaf-matters

itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

podcast.png

Common Toronto media;make a mountain out of a mole hill and use the chicken little tactic. Very few if any young players have had their careers ruined by extensive development. They do a good job with the Marlies, and no harm in letting Gardiner completely recover from his concusion. Add to that, the Leafs D is playing very well, and have lots of depth. Gardiner will have a full career in the NHL and will be called up sooner rather than later. I'm amazed at how hard people try to create a media stir or story out of nothing.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
If the Marlies can make the playoffs and if Reilly team does not he can then play with the Marlies. However, it really does not look like the Marlies will be making the playoffs this year.

I hear ya, but we're talking about the entire regular season next year. It would be a waste sending him back to juniors. And, while i would absolutely love to see him spend a year under Eakins, his age kinda negates that, at least for next year anyways.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Common Toronto media;make a mountain out of a mole hill and use the chicken little tactic. Very few if any young players have had their careers ruined by extensive development. They do a good job with the Marlies, and no harm in letting Gardiner completely recover from his concusion. Add to that, the Leafs D is playing very well, and have lots of depth. Gardiner will have a full career in the NHL and will be called up sooner rather than later. I'm amazed at how hard people try to create a media stir or story out of nothing.

This isn't the Toronto Media just a fan blog.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I think your are right. He needs to have played 4 seasons in junior. He only has 3. As an example, Percy played with Marlies last year but he had completed his 4th year.

Percy got to play on the Marlies because his team's season ended.

Whydidijoin*

However, it really does not look like the Marlies will be making the playoffs this year.
:huh:

26-17-2-3

6th place in the conference, having played up to 5 games less than some teams...

How exactly does it not look like we are going to make the playoffs?

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
With only a few games left before he has to clear waivers ( which I learnt on this thread) IMHO I think a they will continue to showcase who they have and make a trade which will open a spot for Jake.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

26-17-2-3

6th place in the conference, having played up to 5 games less than some teams...

To be fair they don't win much anymore since the NHL started back up. The Marlies aren't that good anymore, which is fine because the Leafs are benefiting.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
With only a few games left before he has to clear waivers ( which I learnt on this thread) IMHO I think a they will continue to showcase who they have and make a trade which will open a spot for Jake.

I don't understand why this is so trivial? While Eakins says he's ready to come up, he also mentioned it would only happen if Carlyle feels he can steal someone's spot in the lineup. I'd take both coachs' decision over anyone in the organization right now.

As of now I can see them bring him up only if somehow trades or injuries occur, otherwise he stays put where he is. Simple really.

Whydidijoin*

To be fair they don't win much anymore since the NHL started back up. The Marlies aren't that good anymore, which is fine because the Leafs are benefiting.
There has not been enough time to properly evaluate them since the NHL came back, especially with most players stepping into entirely new roles, or playing after not playing at all (or in a lower league).

Even still, we have not been horrible, and it seems like every game we do lose is by one goal.

We were also one of the best teams in the league before the NHL started back up, and got a significant lead in the standings.

We are 2 points off of the freaking division lead, and we have played 5 less games than the leader!

Vintage Leaf Memories

Jan 7, 2013
Gardiner clearly has a future in Toronto. Whether he is still on the "untouchable" list may be a fair question, however. Not because the Leafs don't like him a lot but because of his value. I hate giving up young defensemen, ever. But hard to say what the Leaf brass is thinking.

I don't think, in fairness, this is "making a story out of nothing". Developing players - properly - is always a good thing, of course. But given the Leafs' history, discussing how these types of situations will be handled in the months ahead is fair game, in my view.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He is recovering from concussion and he will have to clear waivers after a few more games, are probably the 2 reasons he is being held in the AHL.

When he gets back defense will probably look like this:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Frazer - Kostka
Liles - Holzer

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
I think Carlyle might be using the theory of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Thats what i reckon plus Gardiner can make his mistakes will recovering in the AHL rather than on the big club.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He is recovering from concussion and he will have to clear waivers after a few more games, are probably the 2 reasons he is being held in the AHL.

When he gets back defense will probably look like this:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Frazer - Kostka
Liles - Holzer

This... keeping him there until we decide on who we're gonna get rid of... or until a worthwhile trade is offered for one of our extra D's.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He got injured so he's sent down to the AHL. Not a smart move to bring a young player back straight to the NHL after a concussion. He should be back up when hes back in game shape, not worried. Especially with the depth at D.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

26-17-2-3

Record during Lockout with 8 NHL players on the roster: 21 - 13

Record post Lockout with current roster: 5 - 9

I would be very surprised if they make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad