Where in the world is Filip Zadina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
25 goal pace in the AHL as a 18 year old is good production if he's able to make the Wings roster in a top 9 role next year he'll be right on track for a 6th overall pick.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Poor Hans fans

In memory of Hans:

giphy.gif

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
He's an 18/19 y/o playing in the AHL. The production is plenty.

Another poster said it, but I really think it should be said again: If he were in the QMJHL putting up 2 points a night would there be any concern? No. But the fact is he's developing much better being in the AHL.

Reactions: Goodman68

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At the end of the day, he hasn't put up 50 PTS in 28GP, so he SUCKS!

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's an 18/19 y/o playing in the AHL. The production is plenty.

Another poster said it, but I really think it should be said again: If he were in the QMJHL putting up 2 points a night would there be any concern? No. But the fact is he's developing much better being in the AHL.
That, of course, is going on the baseless assumption that he'd be putting up 2 points per game.

That same logic was used a month ago to say "going back to the WJC and dominating is going to do GREAT things for his confidence"

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
For some reference, here is the some of the similar players drafted around where Zadina was drafted and how they did in their D+1 year. They turned out pretty alright.

NameDraft positionPoints in D+1 (AHL or equivalent)Points in D+1 (NHL)
Filip Zadina6th 201817 in 28 games
Mika Zibanejad6th 201111 in 23 games20 in 42 games
Filip Forsberg11th 201233 in 38 games1 in 5 games
Sean Monahan6th 201334 in 75 games (NHL)
William Nylander8th 201452 in 58 games
Pavel Zacha6th 20153 in 3 games2 in 1 game
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's no Filip Forsberg. Definitely a bust.

Best trade that underperforming 19 year old before he starts having negative value.

Rangers will offer you a gently used Marc Staal with no retention.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's no Filip Forsberg. Definitely a bust.

Best trade that underperforming 19 year old before he starts having negative value.

Rangers will offer you a gently used Marc Staal with no retention.

I mean, with such an appealing trade offer, who can say no? :laugh:

Reactions: Kupo

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's always a healthy dose of one-upsmanship when a number of prospects of the same tier are drafted back to back and the HF population is out to score points.

It's too early.

I can recall the very divisive Zibanejad/Couturier/Scheifele debates which finally ended when Mark blew the other two out of the proverbial water.

But until then, it was a daily grind of endless silliness.

The simple answer is that it will take years to judge IMHO.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
That, of course, is going on the baseless assumption that he'd be putting up 2 points per game.

That same logic was used a month ago to say "going back to the WJC and dominating is going to do GREAT things for his confidence"

That isn't the point.

The point is, even if he was, it would have as much to say about his potential as an NHLer as his current AHL production does.

The difference is, in one case (QMJHL) everyone would be excited. In the other (AHL with 17 points) we're getting a main board thread concerned about his future.

What he's doing in the AHL is so utterly within the envelope of reasonable expectatons for a #6 OA pick six months on from his draft it isn't even funny.

Like, I'm pretty sure he's the highest scoring player from the '18 draft in the AHL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Also, aren't we going to recognize that virtually every rookie is significantly better in the latter half of their first season? It's pretty misleading to point to the first half of their rookie year and claim that's representative of their long-term potential. We'd have shipped Steve Stamkos off to the salt mines a long time ago.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
He's what 19 years old?

Not every teenage is going to be dominate coming into the AHL right out of junior.

If after 2 or 3 years in the AHL he hasn't made any progress then I would get worried.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
The Detroit Red Wings' 6th overall pick in last year's draft has seemed to have hit a snag.

With 8 goals and 9 assists for a combined total of 17 points in 28 games and an abysmal +/- of -13, Zadina has hit a mid-season slump from what was a point-per-game stint before WJC.

Speaking of WJ's, Zadina, while playing for Czech, averaged just 2 assists in the whole tourney.

Should we be worried, given that the prospects picked ahead of him (apart from Hayton) have had an astounding start?
17 points in 28 games is a 50 point pace. Pretty damn good for a 6thOA pick in his D+1 year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
17 points in 28 games is a 50 point pace. Pretty damn good for a 6thOA pick in his D+1 year.
And playing against men between 20 to 30 something year old physically developed men versus being 19 in a league of 16-20 year olds.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My question is why are the red wings known for their patient development rushing an 18 year old to the NHL?

If they were rushing him he would be in the NHL.

Zadina is probably the most skilled prospect Detroit has had in 20, maybe 25 years.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If they were rushing him he would be in the NHL.

Zadina is probably the most skilled prospect Detroit has had in 20, maybe 25 years.

Jesus the OP made it sound like he was on their roster. Who gives a shit if he hits a slump out of the NHL, that's why he isn't in the NHL.. He's still figuring it out. It's what the juniors and AHL are for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->