Where have all the flat curves gone?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I haven't bought a stick in about 6-7 years (stocked up back in 2017, bought 10 of my favorite - unrelated note - stick inflation has gotten completely out of hand in the last few years).

I used to like the Forsberg / Zetterberg curves back in the day. I think they may have been Burrows at one point as well.

Anyways, I went to my local hockey retailer and every one of their 300+ sticks had at least a moderate curve, especially at the toe. There were like only 3-4 curves to choose from?!? I checked two other spots and it was the same story

So what gives? Is there a reason for such a scarcity of these blades? I'm very particular with my sticks, so buying them online makes me a bit nervous, but I might be out of luck. Any tips on a reliable online option that would offer some flat curve options so I can stock back up?

Reactions: Dingo

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Prostockhockeysticks have good reviews on this site and internet in general. They've been talked about on this sub. Third Line model is $109 before tax/shipping, Red Line $159

Flat Curves

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Prostockhockeysticks have good reviews on this site and internet in general. They've been talked about on this sub. Third Line model is $109 before tax/shipping, Red Line $159

Flat Curves

I was browsing this site and I found this warning when it comes to delivery times:

Custom orders are made completely from scratch according to your preference, the current lead time is 100+ days due to an extended factory holiday during the month of January. Lead times will return to normal at the beginning of February 2024. During the month of January, we strongly suggest ordering from our large stock of pre-built inventory that can be delivered within 5-9 days.

Gee - I wonder where that factory is located...

That being said - any experience with this website? I have wondered about ordering a "custom stick" as prices are comparable or better to one in the store. From this site or others.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
OP I did the same as you years ago. I bought a 6 pak of Rebok Ai9 and Sick kick 20ks all with Iginla profile. Sticks were thee years off current market and couldn't beat the price at $600 for 6. They were over $200 plus when new.

I had tried a couple of the "hooks" that others were playing, and couldn't find what I wanted.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It’s a shame that flatter curves are becoming extinct.

I can’t remember what is exactly said (I think there’s been various topics on this sub forum). But the ‘gist’ I can gather is that curves like PM9/WR01 aren’t as used in the majors and/or they weren’t selling as well.

I love my PM9 in ball hockey. Nothing else like it

Reactions: Dingo

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
I haven't bought a stick in about 6-7 years (stocked up back in 2017, bought 10 of my favorite - unrelated note - stick inflation has gotten completely out of hand in the last few years).

I used to like the Forsberg / Zetterberg curves back in the day. I think they may have been Burrows at one point as well.

Anyways, I went to my local hockey retailer and every one of their 300+ sticks had at least a moderate curve, especially at the toe. There were like only 3-4 curves to choose from?!? I checked two other spots and it was the same story

So what gives? Is there a reason for such a scarcity of these blades? I'm very particular with my sticks, so buying them online makes me a bit nervous, but I might be out of luck. Any tips on a reliable online option that would offer some flat curve options so I can stock back up?

Right now, kids are mainly taught shooting techniques focused on quick releases off the toe. The modern curves are designed for this type of shot.

With more and more of the newer generation leaning towards a preference of these modern curves, we start seeing companies phase out the flatter ones just cause of the lack of demand. Started with PM9s and now we're seeing P88s being phased out. Bauer, CCM and Warrior still sell P88s, but Sher-wood has removed them completely from their lineup, and True only has em on senior for their low kick family.

I had to move from P38 to P88. Not sure what curve I'll go with if P88 is done.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Welcome to club. Had always used the PM9 curve regardless of brand and was forced to switch to the 88 a couple of yrs ago.

It’s frustrating and there will be some things you’ll have to change permanently, but you’ll adjust.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I've used Prostock a decent amount of times
Ice Hockey Gear & Equipment | ProStockHockey.com
Some of the sticks aren't as light (under 375), but they hold up and if you get a retail model, you're getting a good stick with a curve you're use to. Example, if you like Sherwood - this might be a good buy

Hockeystickman is good. They have their own elite sticks priced affordably. However, due note that they're located in CA and shipping can be expensive. My only knock is that on their elite all black sticks, they seem to come a little shorter than most standard SR sticks. The last stick I got I didn't need to cut and it was about 1/2 inch smaller than I normally use. Normally I have to go almost an inch off.

Twighockey has been one of my favorite in the past 2 years, but the price is starting to increase. For the all the companies that made a name telling you to buy the same product for less, they're continue to increase their prices while putting out the exact same product. My advice is if you're a left handed player, you can always find clearance top of the line sticks that are very affordable with the right deals. So you don't need to buy those sticks from other companies selling comparable sticks. If you're a right handed player, you're screwed! The best deals are often sold out of RHS, and if you do find one, good luck getting the curve or flex you want.

Last edited:

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
I was browsing this site and I found this warning when it comes to delivery times:

Gee - I wonder where that factory is located...

That being said - any experience with this website? I have wondered about ordering a "custom stick" as prices are comparable or better to one in the store. From this site or others.
Geppetto does a great job of providing small batch customization of sticks, I actually find his products to be of higher quality than the other China market/no name sticks out there. Price point wise they are much better than the big brand sticks. The ability to get a pro's curve in either hand or any flex is amazing...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Some of the curves on manufactured sticks is ridiculous. Damn thing is a banana! Idk why but it just doesn’t feel good on my stick at all. But I can’t do no curve. Low to moderate curve towards the heel and slightly more steep on the toe. That’s ideal.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
I didn't want to hijack OPs thread and didn't feel the need to start a new thread so I waited about a week for the thread to die...

But where the heck did all of the non-grip sticks go?! I've been out of the game for about 5 years and haven't bought a stick in about 6-7 years and couldn't help but notice almost every stick in the shop was a grip stick last night. Since im getting back into the game and need a new stick am I going to have to suck it up and by a grip stick?

What have I missed in the past 5 years where everything has gone to a grip stick? New revelations about performance? I also need new gloves, have they too adjusted the material in the palms to accommodate the new grip sticks?

I mentioned this to the proshop employee and he kinda just laughed it off and said he thinks it might just be another marketing gimmick but I find that hard to believe.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
So this is where I (yet again) stand up and say I'm not a huge hockey pro - what do you mean by a "grip stick"?
The tacky coating on the shaft of the sticks. This used to be more of an “option” and only a handful of sticks had this while the “standard” was a smooth finish. Now it’s the opposite and the standard is grip.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The tacky coating on the shaft of the sticks. This used to be more of an “option” and only a handful of sticks had this while the “standard” was a smooth finish. Now it’s the opposite and the standard is grip.

Ah - gotcha. Yes, pretty much any stick you buy these days (and for several years) has a kind of "tacky" finish to it.

That being said I (and my kids, and everyone else I know) still throw some kind of tape on the top to provide more grip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad