Where has Damien Brunner's scoring gone?

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
He came in on fire with Zett and half the league had been on the couch for 6 months ... everyones up to speed and playing tight/hard playoff hockey. For a smallguy his open ice speed isnt what I thought it was -unless he gets faster sohe cancreate separation and be a threat off the rush his only utility will be putting him in Brett Hulls old spot.

ps. WHY he still is onthe point on the PP boggles me mind. not 1 goal from there ALL year and multiple breakaways. Put him on the left half-wall already.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah he's great in the Swiss League, But the NHL is a entirely different level and i'm just wondering if he really can handle it. He seems to be already running out of gas the Swiss League is much shorter then the NHL is.
He's played about twice as many games as those who didn't play until January.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Brunner has played 71 games this season. Which I think is the most he's ever played in one season no matter where he's been. It's a good excuse and a bad one. NHL's normal season is 82. He has time to prepare though.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think mickey redmond mentioned during a game weeks ago that brunner may have become tired from the greater frequency and physicality of games. this is the longest season he has played, since he also played in switzerland before this season started.

he needs to play low on PP instead of on point.

problem with brunner with datsyuk is that datsyuk checks the opposition's top lines, but brunner is probably the worst defensive F on the team.

datsyuk's W's have also been doing the dirty work on the boards and around the net in the offensive zone, but brunner is not suited to that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
problem with brunner with datsyuk is that datsyuk checks the opposition's top lines, but brunner is probably the worst defensive F on the team.

Worse than Homer? Datsyuk can handle it. Give him Brunner and another forward like Fil or Abby and they'll help cover for Brunner. No big deal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Worse than Homer? Datsyuk can handle it. Give him Brunner and another forward like Fil or Abby and they'll help cover for Brunner. No big deal.

Homer was exceptional at board work and using his frame to help. The worst thing to do is involve Datsyuk too much in that stuff and watch him get hurt. He likes playing with big players, you could try it out, but I don't think Datsyuk wants this experiment either and he probably has some input in that.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Homer was exceptional at board work and using his frame to help. The worst thing to do is involve Datsyuk too much in that stuff and watch him get hurt. He likes playing with big players, you could try it out, but I don't think Datsyuk wants this experiment either and he probably has some input in that.
datsyuk is also clearly not as good as he was when he played with homer. he often looks fatigued to me. so does zetterberg. zetterberg apparently has a groin injury, though.

datsyuk and homer usually played with lidstrom and often rafalski, whereas they would now be playing with much weaker d-men with weaker puck possession.

datsyuk would be spending a lot more time on the boards, which he has seemed not to like to do this season, which would risk being further worn down. playing more on the boards also means less time for him to recover defensively. datsyuk's high middle positioning in offensive zone is one of the reasons he has not been scored on that much this season.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Exactly that's why i said that he seems to be running out of gas at times, Because he has played twice as many games as most of the Wings have since the 48 game schedule began.

He also is playing in North America which is new to him, different style of game and pretty much a new dressing room of guys. There are a lot things that in all honesty go against him or anyone else in his position. It's added stress and just an overall change in the game for him personally. I'm pretty happy with how he has fared this year. Also he just was dealing with an slight injury too. Lets not run him out of town just yet :sarcasm:. I think he will turn out to be a pretty solid player, but how he is used and who is paired with will also play a huge part in his success.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep in mind he basically hasn't had a slump in 3 years, I am sure this is pretty new to a guy that has been leading a league in scoring and playing an important role everywhere he has been. He didn't need to do anything but score, that isn't really acceptable in the NHL. We have seen droughts eat at even the best scorers at this level.

RedWingsNow*

i think mickey redmond mentioned during a game weeks ago that brunner may have become tired from the greater frequency and physicality of games. this is the longest season he has played, since he also played in switzerland before this season started.

datsyuk's W's have also been doing the dirty work on the boards and around the net in the offensive zone, but brunner is not suited to that.

All Datsyuk's wings have done for the most part is LOSE battles.
Datsyuk doesn't need grinders. Datsyuk + Brunner is just fine.

You don't have to be a bruiser to win battles.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Brunner has played 71 games this season. Which I think is the most he's ever played in one season no matter where he's been. It's a good excuse and a bad one. NHL's normal season is 82. He has time to prepare though.

You're missing a couple from his few games played in the Spengler Cup, European Trophy, and two games for the Swiss.

The biggest factor is a condensed NHL schedule which means more frequent games in a smaller time span. That's something he's never experienced before.

In a full 82 game normal season, I think he'll be fine.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Don't know where Brunner's scoring is, but Hudler scored again tonight... ;)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'd so love to see this. He doesn't belong at the point, but Babcock is hung up on it, like he's always been. What's really grating is that we have plenty of D to handle the points on the power play.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
He was always in the left side in pp with his swiss squad. His strenght was his onetimer shoot ala Stamkos. So disappointed Babcock put him on the blueline.

HTT3*

Loss of Ehrhoff had bigger impact.

Seems Bieska and Edler have increased their point production. Edler has the same number of points as Ehrhoff this season (and Edler played less games than Ehrhoff).

Not buying your theory.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Seems Bieska and Edler have increased their point production. Edler has the same number of points as Ehrhoff this season (and Edler played less games than Ehrhoff).

Not buying your theory.

Look at where Vancouver's PP% was in 10-11. Look at what it is now.

Look at what Vancouver's transition game was in 10-11. Look at what it is now.

Bieksa would be on pace for what, 25 points over 82 games? Lowest number for him since his rookie season.

And Edler seems to be on pace for 41 points.

Edler plays on a better team than Ehrhoff now. Ehrhoff fit Vancouver very well imo, hasn't done the same with Buffalo. Lowest pace for him since 07-08.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
He was always in the left side in pp with his swiss squad. His strenght was his onetimer shoot ala Stamkos. So disappointed Babcock put him on the blueline.

I've been calling for this ever since he joined the team. He has a great one-timer which he showed when he scored his (last?) goal setup by Nyquist.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Babcock misused Hudler on the PP too. It's like he is afraid of:

a) using a young defenseman on the PP
b) NOT using Dan Cleary on the PP

If Kindl had been the point man on the second unit last year, and Hudler had been on the wing, the unit would have been more productive and Hudler would have had 60+ points. And he would likely still be a Wing, with a contract probably close to $4-4.5m or so for a few years.

Seriously... he can be the best coach in the league and then turn around and be a god damned moron. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, BABS!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->