Where does your kid play

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Great update, thanks Hank :handclap:

My son's team's is doing very well. They're currently in 1st with a 11-1-1 record.
Let's hope it lasts :)

I don't mean to take away from their success, but when I see a team with results like that, it makes me think they should have been tiered higher. From what I've seen over the years (and yes, I've been around longer than I'd like to admit ;)) it seems that players on teams that dominate their league typically progress less through the season.....Wouldn't you agree?

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
I don't mean to take away from their success, but when I see a team with results like that, it makes me think they should have been tiered higher. From what I've seen over the years (and yes, I've been around longer than I'd like to admit ;)) it seems that players on teams that dominate their league typically progress less through the season.....Wouldn't you agree?

Can't say that I disagree, but this is AAA level in the Greater Toronto Hockey league, this is the highest level he can play.
That being said, there are a couple of teams in the loop that shouldn't be there.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Can't say that I disagree, but this is AAA level in the Greater Toronto Hockey league, this is the highest level he can play.
That being said, there are a couple of teams in the loop that shouldn't be there.

Do you guys tier teams the way we do here - play about five or six games against teams that expect to be competitive, then they are moved up and down accordingly? It's a good system in theory, but yeah, a few teams always seem to get tiered too low or too high.

Last year our highest tiered novice players played their season against house league atoms. They're doing the same thing this year, but this years novice team is so strong, they are dominating all their games, so I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm not so sure that the novice team is going to improve much this year, and I don't know that it's even such a good idea to take these novice kids out of their own house league in the first place. There's the argument that the strongest players need to be challenged but there's the other side that says the weaker kids need those stronger guys around to learn from. So it's not black and white, is it?

What age group is your guy in? I would be really curious to see how our boys would play against an Ontario AAA team. I hate to say we'd probably get slaughtered, but I'm guessing the sheer number of players you choose from is ten times that of ours. Still, it would be neat.

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
We live on South Shore Montreal .Our home league. My 4 sons play hockey at level Novice,Atom,Peewee and Bantam .They love their hockey !

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Do you guys tier teams the way we do here - play about five or six games against teams that expect to be competitive, then they are moved up and down accordingly? It's a good system in theory, but yeah, a few teams always seem to get tiered too low or too high.

No, there is no tiering in rep (A-AA-AAA) hockey.
In Toronto you can play in the GTHL without restrictions. There are 12 AAA organization and a whole bunch of A and AA. AAA organizations cannot be affiliated with AA orgs. It's up to the coach/org to field a competitive team, but then you're stuck with that team for that season.
It's different in house league and select. That level hockey is being tiered and/or convened to make games competitive.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
Obviously it's only the kids from well to do families that can be on that team.I
We are a long way from well to do, just an average family. But we made the decision long ago that our kids come first. Our fees are spread out over the season, we make a monthly payment. Is it worth it? Yep...every penny, because he plays against the best, never shares ice, and is usually taught by the best. What sucks is that he broke his ankle in practice last Monday, and is off the ice for two months. Do we still have pay???? Yep...

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
My 6 YO plays here in Virginia, and just made the Squirt travel team. He also plays in the lower house league (really enjoys that cause he gets to score more goals, and not be all about teamwork) lol

Having fun, lots of icetime, great coach from upstate New York....looking to do a camp in the N.E. this summer.

When he was 5 playing againest the 7/8 YO travel mite team, on the far right, left wing

THis one is from lower house 9/10 YO from this fall

My wife thinks we mixed kids at the hospital and we have a soccer playing southerner in Toronto !! ;)

His 3 YO bro just started taking lessons...decent lil skater...we have a finished basement where they spend hours with the plastic hockey gear shooting and checking each other.....

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
It's been an awesome experience so far. I'll be shocked if he scores a goal this year, but I don't care. He's improved greatly and is having a lot of fun out there.

What a great attitude for a parent to have. My son's team went from losing games by 6+ goals to a 3 game winning streak, including 2 shut outs. He still needs to gain speed and he skates with his skate in, but he's improved so much. All the kids have and they can't wait to get to the rink.

I even signed him up for a hockey camp during March break.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
What a great attitude for a parent to have. My son's team went from losing games by 6+ goals to a 3 game winning streak, including 2 shut outs. He still needs to gain speed and he skates with his skate in, but he's improved so much. All the kids have and they can't wait to get to the rink.

I even signed him up for a hockey camp during March break.

Thanks for the compliment. And that's great about your son improving and enjoying hockey. It's awesome seeing them improve and enjoying it at the same time, eh?

To be honest, I never thought my kid would be that into hockey. But he seems to have caught the bug.

Last weekend he scored 2 goals in his mini game (he's still separated from the stronger skaters and plays games with the other weaker ones on 1/3 of the ice).
Before the game I told him to try his best to touch the puck 3 times. He must have touched it 6 times along with his two goals. What was hilarious is that after each time he touched the puck (or scored) he'd raise his stick in the air and do a slow arc around the ice in celebration. He had the most serious look on his face too. Like he was the Black Knight lifting Excalabar out of the stone.
Everyone (see 12 people) in the stands was laughing hysterically - including my wife and I.

Anyway he was battling a cold then so I didn't expect him to get up at 7:00 am for his practice the next morning. But when he woke up the first thing he said was "Don't I have hockey practice this morning?" I wasn't going to argue with him so I raced him over. The practice was a heavy skating one where they used the whole ice for half the session.
The drill was to lie on the goalline and when the coach blew the whistle they were to get up and skate to redline, do a Superman dive, get up and continue to skate to the far goaline and lay on their bellies. Then they would do it again.
Because we have 2 teams that practice at the same time the other team would go first, followed by my sons team. The poor little guy would just get to the goaline and lay down when the whistle would blow for him to go again. But he never complained and did his best the entire time. I can't tell you how proud I felt. Despite waking up so early and battling a cold, he went through the entire practice with his chin up.

And then last night, when I tucked him in for night he asked me "When do I get to play hockey again?". I know it's wrong for me to want him to enjoy hockey so much, but I couldn't have been happier when he asked this.

I just have to keep my head level and realize that there might come a time when he doesn't want to play hockey (or other sports). But so far, he's really liking it (as well as baseball and swimming). I'll just try and do my best to encourage him a lot and not push my agenda or love of sport onto him too much. But it's so freakin' fun watching him out there. And now my 1 year old son is starting to get into it too. He's constantly grabbing Hudson's little plastic hockey sticks and whacking at balls into a plastic net. It'll be fun watching him too.

4Hockey4

Jul 27, 2005
Virginia
www.putcanceronice.org
I feel your pain Hank - I told my son we might go up to Toronto and Montreal in the spring, and he looked me square in the eye and dead serious and asked - "Are we coming back" :biglaugh:

His dream is too live in the N.E. or Canada and have a pond out back that freezes....

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Great post Hank :clap: made my eyes watery :blush:
Make sure you capture some of it on tape ;)

4Hockey4 - we don't have a pond out back...so I usually make a rink in the backyard ;)

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Great post Hank :clap: made my eyes watery :blush:
Make sure you capture some of it on tape ;)

4Hockey4 - we don't have a pond out back...so I usually make a rink in the backyard ;)

I'm definitely getting some footage this weekend. I really wish I had captured this past week. Seeing him celebrate touching the puck was a riot.

How big is your backyard rink? I'm going to build one this winter too. I 'm hoping to make it 30x20 using barn planks and greenhouse plastic.

My area sucks in that we only get 4 weeks of ice if we're lucky. So I'm really hoping for a cold winter. This is when I envy people living further north. The Staal brothers have no idea how lucky they are to have the rink their dad build them.

Cheers everyone. To those with kids playing this weekend, good luck!

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Seeing him celebrate touching the puck was a riot.

I bet

How big is your backyard rink? I'm going to build one this winter too. I 'm hoping to make it 30x20 using barn planks and greenhouse plastic.

Mine's been getting bigger over the years. If I recall correctly the first one was about 30x20, now it's up to 35x50.
From this in 2005:

To this last winter:

But 30x20 should definitely be big enough for him.

My area sucks in that we only get 4 weeks of ice if we're lucky. So I'm really hoping for a cold winter. This is when I envy people living further north. The Staal brothers have no idea how lucky they are to have the rink their dad build them.

How far south are you?
You can find some good tips here: How To Make A Backyard Rink

Thank you.

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
Hank, doesn't sound like you need to worry about pushing your son. My husband hates hockey so I was very happy when my guy decided to play!

Nbr-17, nice rink. I wish we had a yard that big. Problem is our front lawn is much bigger than the back, but we're on a hill. Also Toronto doesn't seem cold enough to go to all the effort of a yard rink. Luckily we live near 3 rinks but they're filled with hockey teams most of the time. At least he gets to skate 2x weekly with his team, plus the school takes the kids a few times during the winter.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
How far south are you?
You can find some good tips here: How To Make A Backyard Rink

Thanks for the link!

I live in Southwestern Ontario very close to Windsor. Actually, our town is the most southern town in all of Canada. We're lucky to get 2-3 weeks of consecutive days under 0C.

I've actually looked into purchasing an artificial rink by Custom Rinks.
My wife has even agreed to it. But I first want to buy some property that has an outbuilding big enough for one.
My dream has always been to own one of these rinks and put it in a barn. And when I do get it, I'm going to offer the rink up to some underprivaledged families who can't afford league fees.
Hockey is so expensive in some areas that it's a shame not all kids can enjoy it.

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
I'm definitely getting some footage this weekend. I really wish I had captured this past week. Seeing him celebrate touching the puck was a riot.

I'm off for the weekend to the 1st of 12 tournaments my sons will play this season ....and we all know that these tourneys are just as much fun for the parents as they are for the players ,right ?
Have a great weekend ..I know I will :handclap:

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
...How big is your backyard rink? I'm going to build one this winter too. I 'm hoping to make it 30x20 using barn planks and greenhouse plastic....

I'll bet there's been a thread about this in the past - if not, we should start one. Of course, there's not much happening with outdoor rinks yet since it hasn't been cold enough....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad