Where does your kid play

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Vivian, your boys look great. Congratulations.
Now I have to dig up some older pics of my little guy ;)

Hank, I'm so glad to hear that your son likes it and that things turned around.
Best of luck.

My son's spring/tournament hockey has been a bit dissapointing so far. They made only one semi-final. Last weekend they started great on Friday with a tie (my son got the game MVP) and a win, but then on Saturday lost twice (the 2nd game against a team who hadn't won yet) and thus were eliminated. Their last tourney of the spring is coming up next weekend and he's really motivated to do well. He likes playing roller hockey and wants to play again next year. He's doing better with each game.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
thanks wendell( i'm assuming that's what nbr-17 means;) )dig 'em up. i never thought i would like watching other guys playing hockey, but when they're my own little guys, well i'd rather watch them play then play myself.
btw the bulldogs site is AWESOME great job to whoever made that!!
now your boy is playing AAA huh? nice you must be proud.

Operation Hedera

Sep 9, 2006
connecticut

last season my 5 year old ( 4 years at the time ) was awarded player of the year for his association .( bridgeport, CT.) he played mites (6-8 yrs.).
i was never prouder in my life.
the girl in the picture is julie chu of the U.S womens team. and that is her olympic bronze medal.

WHat town do you live in? I grew up playing for bridgeport. I'm 17 now.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Keep us updated on the roller hockey.

He really enjoyed playing roller hockey and wants to play again next spring. On top of the houseleague he also ended playing ion two tournaments. The second one being the provincials where they lost in the finals.
Next year he wants to tryout for the rep team as they will try to qualify for the Narch tournament.
This upcoming weekend he is in his first tournament with the winter team and next week is his training camp for the winter season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He really enjoyed playing roller hockey and wants to play again next spring. On top of the houseleague he also ended playing ion two tournaments. The second one being the provincials where they lost in the finals.
Next year he wants to tryout for the rep team as they will try to qualify for the Narch tournament.
This upcoming weekend he is in his first tournament with the winter team and next week is his training camp for the winter season.

That's great. How did he find switching back to ice? How did the tournament go?

My son is in hockey camp this week, and will try out for the rep teams next month. He's hoping for the B team. He has strong points and weak points, so it's hard to tell. I'm guessing he's close, but honestly don't know.

Either way he is in a "no body checking league" as body checking doesn't start until Peewee, though only for rep teams. Is that the same in Toronto? I noticed today they were being taught to pin someone along the boards. It certainly looked safe, but I didn't think that was legal yet for Atoms. I grew up with body checking in hockey from the start, so I had told him it was more or less like soccer. I've noticed in his summer league also that they seem to get away with a little more than that. Know any links to the rules and interpretations of that?

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
That's great. How did he find switching back to ice?

He didn't have any problems. I think roller hockey helped him if anything.

How did the tournament go?

They lost in the semi final. They had a 6:2 lead in the 3rd but got into penalty problem. The other team tied with 6 seconds to go and then won in overtime :(

My son is in hockey camp this week, and will try out for the rep teams next month. He's hoping for the B team. He has strong points and weak points, so it's hard to tell. I'm guessing he's close, but honestly don't know.

Best of luck :)

Either way he is in a "no body checking league" as body checking doesn't start until Peewee, though only for rep teams. Is that the same in Toronto? I noticed today they were being taught to pin someone along the boards. It certainly looked safe, but I didn't think that was legal yet for Atoms. I grew up with body checking in hockey from the start, so I had told him it was more or less like soccer. I've noticed in his summer league also that they seem to get away with a little more than that. Know any links to the rules and interpretations of that?

In Ontario body contact starts at minor atom (9 years old). The boys are looking forward to it. They are in training camp this week and this is one thing that they're working on. The issue is that provinces and the US don't have body contact until minor peewee, so whenever out of province teams are in a tourney there is no contact and that makes it sometimes difficult for the kids to adjust. Last tournament they were hacked and slashed but as soon as they'd knock somebody over they'd get called for it :rant:
Don't know about summer leagues, but a lot of tournaments are non sanctioned, so they basically do/call what they want and yes more often than not they're more lenient.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I like hearing other parents experiences with how their kids are doing and developing.

My wife and I enrolled our 4-year old boy into minor hockey this season. We got him all his equipment and he seemed really geeked about all the cool stuff he gets to wear.

We just got called about the games and practices and I'm a touch worried that this will hinder his love for playing. The games are on Saturdays between 8-9 am. That's not so bad. But his practices are on Sunday's at either 7:30 or 8:30 am (they switch at the half way point of the year, so he could potentially have practices at 8:30 am up until New Years and then have practices at 7;30 am until the end of the season).
My boy loves his sleep and with him starting JK I'm worried that he's going to be too zonked to get up for 7:30 am practices. The good thing is we live 5 minutes from the arena. So I could have all his gear packed up and could pluck him from bed at 7:00 and at the arena by 7:10 at the latest.

I just want this to be a good experience for him. I don't want to turn him off the game forever.

Anyone else face early icetimes with kids so young? How did it work out?

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I like hearing other parents experiences with how their kids are doing and developing.

My wife and I enrolled our 4-year old boy into minor hockey this season. We got him all his equipment and he seemed really geeked about all the cool stuff he gets to wear.

We just got called about the games and practices and I'm a touch worried that this will hinder his love for playing. The games are on Saturdays between 8-9 am. That's not so bad. But his practices are on Sunday's at either 7:30 or 8:30 am (they switch at the half way point of the year, so he could potentially have practices at 8:30 am up until New Years and then have practices at 7;30 am until the end of the season).
My boy loves his sleep and with him starting JK I'm worried that he's going to be too zonked to get up for 7:30 am practices. The good thing is we live 5 minutes from the arena. So I could have all his gear packed up and could pluck him from bed at 7:00 and at the arena by 7:10 at the latest.

I just want this to be a good experience for him. I don't want to turn him off the game forever.

Anyone else face early icetimes with kids so young? How did it work out?

My son as a 5 year old had practice anywhere from 6 am - 8 am, usually on the 6 am side. First practice it was tough getting him there after a few weeks he was waking me to make sure we would not miss it.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Around here 4 to 6 year olds play houseleague within the organization. Where my son played practices were Saturdays either at 10 or 11 AM. Games were Sundays at 10, 11 or noon.
In his second year they started to have a select team. The coach asked who wanted to play select and that practices would be at 7 AM Saturday morning. So I asked my son and he said 'yes'. So I asked 'Are you sure? You're gonna have to get up early you know'. He replied 'You'll wake me up, right?'. How can you say no to that ;)
To this day he has no problem getting up for hockey, school, now that's another thing ;)
If wants to play and enjoys it he'll be fine IMO

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Around here 4 to 6 year olds play houseleague within the organization. Where my son played practices were Saturdays either at 10 or 11 AM. Games were Sundays at 10, 11 or noon.
In his second year they started to have a select team. The coach asked who wanted to play select and that practices would be at 7 AM Saturday morning. So I asked my son and he said 'yes'. So I asked 'Are you sure? You're gonna have to get up early you know'. He replied 'You'll wake me up, right?'. How can you say no to that ;)
To this day he has no problem getting up for hockey, school, now that's another thing ;)
If wants to play and enjoys it he'll be fine IMO

Thanks. That's what I'm worried about though. He plays hockey with me in the basement and likes it when I take him to see local junior games, but I have a feeling he's not going to like these early times to start his career.
What bothers me is that the Novice (8-9), Atom (10-11) and Peewee (12-13) levels all play their games closer to noon. Why make a 4 year old wake up for a 7:30 practice and a 13 year old for an 11:30 one?
Anyway, I hope he likes it enough that he won't mind. We'll see. I just don't want to make him resent a sport before he gives it a real chance.

Puckboy said:
My son as a 5 year old had practice anywhere from 6 am - 8 am, usually on the 6 am side. First practice it was tough getting him there after a few weeks he was waking me to make sure we would not miss it.

That's awesome. Was he a hockey nut before he started playing?

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Its prettty much the norm for the earliest times to go to the Youngest. If you take a moment to think about it, the youngest are also those who typically have the earliest bedtime.

When they grumble about the early wake up call, remind them that each year older brings a later start time. Gotta put in your time....

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
My son plays AAA hockey. He plays in the MWEHL and plays for the Chicago Young Americans. He is a Bantam Major this year. Plays forward. He has played D, but is more a natural scorer. He has played since he was 4 years old. Great experience! We have been all over for his hockey, and will be traveling again this year.

This certainly is a significant effect. I have heard people use the terms "good hockey birthday" and "bad hockey birthday".

BTW...My son has one of the worst hockey birthdays ever. He was born on Dec 19th. He is an 8th grader, and most of the kids on his team are in high school. He has managed to play at this level since he was a squirt major...so it can be done. Now if we can just get him to grow...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
My son plays AAA hockey. He plays in the MWEHL and plays for the Chicago Young Americans. He is a Bantam Major this year. Plays forward. He has played D, but is more a natural scorer. He has played since he was 4 years old. Great experience! We have been all over for his hockey, and will be traveling again this year.

BTW...My son has one of the worst hockey birthdays ever. He was born on Dec 19th. He is an 8th grader, and most of the kids on his team are in high school. He has managed to play at this level since he was a squirt major...so it can be done. Now if we can just get him to grow...

In his case it may have worked to his advantage, making the team anyway with the increased challenge of being younger. Is he small for his age or just compared to his older teammates? There can be quite a difference at that age.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
Is he small for his age or just compared to his older teammates? There can be quite a difference at that age.
No, he is not small for his age. All indications are that he will be tall like his dad, just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. He was injured in the spring, and had x-rays taken of his growth plate. Lots of room for growth yet.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So true LOL
On my son's team the brithmonths are:
Jan 1 player
Feb 4 players
Mar 1 player
May 5 players
Jun 2 players
Jul 2 players

I had a couple of thoughts on this. First, I assume this is the same as last year and the team stays pretty much the same, seeing as it is a one year division. It must be tough for a player breaking in, trying to move up from AA, or having moved from another area...and even tougher for the marginal kid (and parents) that gets cut to make room after playing a year or two on essentially the same team.

This has to be much harder than it is here (not talking from experience, just guessing) where it is a two year division and a mixing/oscillation occurs.

How much better would it be if the divisions were 1 1/2 years? No perfect "hockey birthdays" and more changes every year as players find their levels.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
It must be tough for a player breaking in, trying to move up from AA, or having moved from another area...and even tougher for the marginal kid (and parents) that gets cut to make room after playing a year or two on essentially the same team.
Moving up to AAA from AA at the Bantam Major level or mm/MM is nearly impossible. Unless the kid has unbelievable skills and size, it really doesn't happen all that often. Most AAA teams are made up of kids with an earlier birth year for obvious reasons. However, it all evens out with Midgets. Those kids with the later birthdays I believe get an extra year at midget. I would advise anyone thinking of moving their kid into a AAA program to do it as early as possible. Two kids of equal skill...trying out for the same position, they will always take the kid that has played AAA hockey before.

How much better would it be if the divisions were 1 1/2 years? No perfect "hockey birthdays" and more changes every year as players find their levels.
Until a few years ago, the cut off ran along the same lines as school cut offs. USA hockey instituted the change to birth years about 7 years ago. My son with a later birth year lost his second year of mite eligibilty and had to move up to squirt, whereas most of the kids on his teams stayed at mite. It has been a struggle. Ask me again in about 2 years if it was good or bad. The jury is still out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad