Speculation: Where does Varlamov go?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
What would SJ do with Jones, who has a 5 year $5.75 M AAV contract remaining? How to do you keep him as the backup in that situation?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Someone will give him an awful contract... Hes the type that will cash in huge and in about 2 to 3 years it is gonna be an awful deal.

He just seems so absurdly inconsistent

Reactions: Madifer

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Someone will give him an awful contract... Hes the type that will cash in huge and in about 2 to 3 years it is gonna be an awful deal.

He just seems so absurdly inconsistent

You’ll probably get one Vezina contender season, one terrible season where he is barely starting quality and two decent seasons where for half the year he looks brilliant and half he looks terrible and it’ll come out looking ok but quite frustrating in the ups and downs.

Then again, the Avs defense hasn’t exactly been a fortress in front of him during his Colorado tenure. He’s very risky but also capable of playing extremely well so his value and the appropriate contract is going to be very hard to determine IMO. No idea what cap and term would be fair to be honest. Guess it depends on the market this summer.

Weast

May 16, 2011
He's a very athletic goalkeeper but streaky as all hell. I think a 4x4.5 contract would be pretty good or maybe 3x5

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Varly's injury history would make me hesitant to give him big money with term. I'd be offering a 1-2 year deal if I were a GM in need of a goalie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s both. + Radulov
giphy.gif

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Varly has an injury history so term will be a big concern when it comes to signing him to a deal. That being said he has practically identical numbers to Bob over his career to the point that its scary and he will cost a fraction of the AAV. Imo he'll likely be the best goalie signed in UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad