Speculation: Where does Tyson Barrie end up

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don't think so. I think Barrie was moved right away when Keefe became coach.
upload_2020-9-17_5-39-59.png

Keefe made changes, but up to the Reilly injury Barrie’s PP time only saw a 17 second bump per game.
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-tyson-barrie-impact-keefe/
The Leafs had quit as a team on Babcock. Their whole team got the “new coach” bump, of which Barrie was a part. I think Barrie is a good offensive minded D man, and a team will pay him 24-30 million as a UFA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
View attachment 367816

Keefe made changes, but up to the Reilly injury Barrie’s PP time only saw a 17 second bump per game.
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-tyson-barrie-impact-keefe/
The Leafs had quit as a team on Babcock. Their whole team got the “new coach” bump, of which Barrie was a part. I think Barrie is a good offensive minded D man, and a team will pay him 24-30 million as a UFA.

Before Keefe:
- Barrie had 2 PP points in 23 games
- Rielly had 5 PP points in 23 games

After Keefe:
- Barrie had 10 PP points in 47 games
- Rielly had 2 PP points in 24 games

From when Keefe got hired to when Rielly got hurt:
- Barrie had 4 PP points in 23 games
- Rielly had 2 PP points in 23 games

From what I remember, Barrie got more #1 unit time vs Rielly after Keefe became coach. Leafs fans????

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Before Keefe:
- Barrie had 2 PP points in 23 games
- Rielly had 5 PP points in 23 games

After Keefe:
- Barrie had 10 PP points in 47 games
- Rielly had 2 PP points in 24 games

From when Keefe got hired to when Rielly got hurt:
- Barrie had 4 PP points in 23 games
- Rielly had 2 PP points in 23 games

From what I remember, Barrie got more #1 unit time vs Rielly after Keefe became coach. Leafs fans????
I posted the minutes of PP time for Barrie under Babs and Keefe. Barrie’s PP time on ice went up by 17 seconds/game. His play improved, as did all their players, because he got a bump from the new coach. I’m suggesting the increase in point production was more a function of the bump from the coaching change (which the entire team experienced) than from PP time on ice, which the chart shows wasn’t much of a difference.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
People are drastically underestimating what Barrie is going to get on the market.
He's not going to be cheap, or opt for short-term deals (unless the AAV is sky-high).
GMs don't exactly play it safe when signing UFAs, especially PMDs with a solid history of production.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
People are drastically underestimating what Barrie is going to get on the market.
He's not going to be cheap, or opt for short-term deals (unless the AAV is sky-high).
GMs don't exactly play it safe when signing UFAs, especially PMDs with a solid history of production.
Yeah you pretty much know what you're getting with Barrie. He can play to 4, offensive Dman / PP. He's not gonna blow you away with his defensive prowess or penalty killing. But teams looking for an offensive RHD will pursue him. I think he gets a decent deal.

Quick glance maybe Calgary if they lose Brodie, Vancouver, Edmonton, Detroit

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

This off-season isn't going to be business as usual for anyone. The revenue isn't there for teams to even spend to the flat cap ceiling.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How good is Krug defensively? I don't watch a lot of Boston games but I suspect that Krug hasn't been given the tough assignments over the last couple seasons. From a point production standpoint, the last couple years (exclude last year) were very similar between Krug and Barrie. The point difference over their career has been due to PP play production. We know that Krug QB'ed Boston's #1 ranked PP and had nearly a minute more of PP ice time than Barrie this past year. If Krug is asking for 8 and ends up getting 3 million more per than Barrie, Barrie might be the better value.

Barrie has spent the better part of his career playing on a PP with either MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog for 4 minutes a night, or Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander for three. I've no doubt Krug got some advantageous PP time, but there's really no argument that Barrie wasn't put in just as much of a position to succeed.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
This off-season isn't going to be business as usual for anyone. The revenue isn't there for teams to even spend to the flat cap ceiling.
I'm most interested in who ends up getting burned by this. I get a feeling it might be goalies, given there are so many available. Some guys will still get their payday, other teams probably punt on free agents and fill needs from within with rookies. But yeah a lot of players are gonna get shafted and may even be forced to settle for a one year deal for not a lot of money.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He'll re-sign in Toronto one he realizes he's not going to get a pay increase due to Covid/Cap/$ issues.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Barrie has spent the better part of his career playing on a PP with either MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog for 4 minutes a night, or Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander for three. I've no doubt Krug got some advantageous PP time, but there's really no argument that Barrie wasn't put in just as much of a position to succeed.

Right and excluding this past season with Toronto when his PP time was about a minute less that Krug’s, Barrie’s PP points and subsequent points overall were comparable to Krug’s. 2 of the last 3 years have been close in production. If my choice is Krug at 8 or Barrie at 5, my initial choice is Barrie.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He can still be a good ppqb. Outside of that, he's just not that stellar. If he keeps his options open I could see van, cgy, and Winnipeg making a pitch if they strike out on krug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->