Speculation: Where does Tyson Barrie end up

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Perhaps, but I think he will need to sign short term deal to rebuild value.
Yes, I think this off-season will have quite a few shorter term deals not only to prove it and increase value but also the flat cap for the next 2 to 3 yeats isn't helping anyone either

Reactions: Blueston

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barrie is almost useless if he cannot join the rush and skate the puck from end to end all the time. He is a somewhat shokingly bad passer considering the point totals and has to carry the puck to be effective.

Complete rover and awful defensively. Does have streches when he looks ok defensively, but overall he sucks and makes a lot of terrible decisions. Be ready to give up a lot of goals when Barrie hits the ice.

Not convinced he is as good as some think he is on the PP due to the limited passing ability. Barrie is a solid shooter though and will score his fare share of goals.

Reactions: qqaz

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Barrie is almost useless if he cannot join the rush and skate the puck from end to end all the time. He is a somewhat shokingly bad passer considering the point totals and has to carry the puck to be effective.

Complete rover and awful defensively. Does have streches when he looks ok defensively, but overall he sucks and makes a lot of terrible decisions. Be ready to give up a lot of goals when Barrie hits the ice.

Not convinced he is as good as some think he is on the PP due to the limited passing ability. Barrie is a solid shooter though and will score his fare share of goals.
Sounds exactly like a smaller version of Justin Faulk.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I don't see Barrie taking anything less than a 4 year deal less than 6m per season with his offensive talent. He didn't fit well with what the Leafs needed and the Avs don't have room for another offensive D man. Any thoughts on where he could end up?
Beer league, North Vancouver

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If a team has a strong defensive partner for Barrie he could work on a 2nd pairing and QB a PP.
I doubt he gets much term but on a short deal i could see him cashing in.
He didn't work with Muzzin.
Who imo looked like the perfect compliment to his style.
So, not entirely sure what gives with this guy.

Personally I think he will slowly find his game playing for a team that doesnt have a million eyes on him and hungry reporters ready to make an article.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Yikes. Boston's gonna let Krug walk to sign Barrie?

How good is Krug defensively? I don't watch a lot of Boston games but I suspect that Krug hasn't been given the tough assignments over the last couple seasons. From a point production standpoint, the last couple years (exclude last year) were very similar between Krug and Barrie. The point difference over their career has been due to PP play production. We know that Krug QB'ed Boston's #1 ranked PP and had nearly a minute more of PP ice time than Barrie this past year. If Krug is asking for 8 and ends up getting 3 million more per than Barrie, Barrie might be the better value.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
How good is Krug defensively? I don't watch a lot of Boston games but I suspect that Krug hasn't been given the tough assignments over the last couple seasons. From a point production standpoint, the last couple years (exclude last year) were very similar between Krug and Barrie. The point difference over their career has been due to PP play production. We know that Krug QB'ed Boston's #1 ranked PP and had nearly a minute more of PP ice time than Barrie this past year. If Krug is asking for 8 and ends up getting 3 million more per than Barrie, Barrie might be the better value.

Krug is good with the puck. Bad without it. Would still pay for him, but he's gonna get paid better somewhere else. Barrie could be a cheap (almost) replacement.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't know where he will go.
I know that he should go to a team that lacks a D that can run their 1st PP unit and has a shutdown type of defender on their 2nd pairing that could need someone to help him out with moving the puck.
Not sure if there is a team out there that fits the bill but that is exactly the type of team he should go to...

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Where does Tyson Barrie end up?

The 3rd pairing, and his coache's nightmares.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yikes. Boston's gonna let Krug walk to sign Barrie?

If Barrie was willing to sign a prove it deal it makes sense.
Krugs spot on pp and sheltered behind McAvoy& Carlo.

Krug is looking to get paid this offseason
If Barrie is looking for same then hell no

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets if Barrie is willing to take a short term deal and fair AAV for the Jets. He could try to regain his value on a 2 or 3 year deal and resurface as a UFA when the cap is much higher. Jets can provide that opportunity for him?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Curious about where he ends up and for how much as well.

He is a really great player. Top pairing Dman sorts in the right situation. And quite frankly outside of playing under Babcock in Toronto, he was really good for the Leafs as well. But his stint with Babcock as the coach is all anyone remembers.

My guess he gets something like 4-5 years in the 6M neighborhood.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Curious about where he ends up and for how much as well.

He is a really great player. Top pairing Dman sorts in the right situation. And quite frankly outside of playing under Babcock in Toronto, he was really good for the Leafs as well. But his stint with Babcock as the coach is all anyone remembers.

My guess he gets something like 4-5 years in the 6M neighborhood.
Playoffs: 5gp 0p, -2, 47CF%, 42HDCF%

He was quite literally one of our worst players in a playoffs full of disappointments. So please, don't tell us that the only thing we remember is Babcock, we watched Barrie play all year. He was better under Keefe, but he was not a good player.

Reactions: Luckylarry

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If he could have stayed one more year in Colorado anchoring their PP he’d be looking at 7-8mil long term. Poor guy

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If he could have stayed one more year in Colorado anchoring their PP he’d be looking at 7-8mil long term. Poor guy

Makar was coming to take his lunch money one way or the other, and he still got the opportunity to play PP minutes with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and co.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Barrie will go where he gets the most total dollars. There will be a team paying him 24-30 million.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Makar was coming to take his lunch money one way or the other, and he still got the opportunity to play PP minutes with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and co.

I thought Rielly had PP1 duty most of the time. Agreed on Makar I’m just saying he was a year away from cashing in way more than he’s worth

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I thought Rielly had PP1 duty most of the time. Agreed on Makar I’m just saying he was a year away from cashing in way more than he’s worth

Rielly was injured for a decent stretch, so I'm sure he got some PP1 time with the Leafs. In any case, he wasn't getting PP1 minutes on Colorado either.

ETA: Getting relegated to PP2 isn't necessarily a kiss of death anyway. Ristolainen scored a bunch of his points playing PP1 minutes in Buffalo until we drafted Dahlin. But when Dahlin took those minutes, Risto got more productive at ES, so his overall output is still in the 40-45 point range (or pacing for it, in the shortened 19-20 season).

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad