Where does Tomas Tatar rank in terms of NHL forward prospects?

Edge of Sanity*

He has to be climbing up pretty high.

Last year's stats:
58 GP
16 G
16 A
32 P
+8

He was the youngest player in the AHL at the time playing on a horrible team, this year he's at:

62 GP
23 G
32 A
55 P
+18

And looked pretty good in his NHL stint, getting his first career goal during it, he's also up to 190 lbs now so he's put on the weight everyone said he needed to. Where does he rank in terms of the best forward prospects in the NHL?

Anchor Town*

He will still need (and get) another year in the AHL, but he's looking really promising. Though he has put on the weight, he still needs to get stronger as well as work on his game in his own end

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He has pretty much the same numbers as Kadri in the AHL this year, same goals per game and .03 ppg less.

Not too shabby, he is electrifying offensively

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
ive seen him a bunch of times this year....kid's got a nose for the net, should be a good one

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No. Jankrok sees the ice better. Only way Tatar is better is if Jarnkrok busts from the Olympic to NHL ice shift. A player of Jarnkrok's caliber... I doubt that happens.

I think its a little premature to say either will be better than the other until Jarnkrok comes to NA ice. Tatar has already shown he can handle the size, speed and skill of the NHL and has produced big in the AHL.

Jarnkrok has a lot of potential but at this point has had a solid rookie season in the SEL and thats all.

I'm hoping these 2 guys can be 70 point players in the future however.

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
I think its a little premature to say either will be better than the other until Jarnkrok comes to NA ice. Tatar has already shown he can handle the size, speed and skill of the NHL and has produced big in the AHL.

Jarnkrok has a lot of potential but at this point has had a solid rookie season in the SEL and thats all.

I'm hoping these 2 guys can be 70 point players in the future however.

Yea one of these awesome EU prospects has to pan out: Tatar, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Nyqvist...maybe you could throw Nestrasil in there as well. Maybe two will make it and we can have some more euro-twins to take the reigns from Pasha+Hank.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I was skeptical at first but I'm definitely starting to come around a little bit. He's been quite impressive this year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Still don't understand why he dropped all the way to the end of the second round. Made no sense then and makes no sense now. Guys a borderline first round talent and should be a nice second liner and fits in well in Detroits system or any system I suppose.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Still don't understand why he dropped all the way to the end of the second round. Made no sense then and makes no sense now. Guys a borderline first round talent and should be a nice second liner and fits in well in Detroits system or any system I suppose.
Teams probably didn't know enough about him. Detroits has the best european scouts in the world and they likely knew more about him than other teams. That and nobody drafts slovaks anymore for whatever reason.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Teams probably didn't know enough about him. Detroits has the best european scouts in the world and they likely knew more about him than other teams. That and nobody drafts slovaks anymore for whatever reason.

IIRC he was rated near the end of the first/early second but several scouting companies. I don't think it had as much to do with Detroits scouting as it did with being a no brainer decision for them. It's not like he was some 6'th round gem.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
My guess is his potential is probably around 65 points or so. He could blossom into a great player ala datsyuk and zetterberg but im not convinced his vision or hockey IQ is on that level.

Everything I hear about him is that he is probably good enough to play in the NHL, but is in the AHL for two reasons:

1) his defence could use SOME work, not saying that its all that bad
2) Its detroit. That in itself explains why he is not up yet.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tatar has excellent NHL possibilities.

If there's any team in the league that let's guys be over-nurtured and then makes good use of them at the NHL level, it's Detroit.

As usual, in guys like Tatar, Järnkrok and Pulkinnen, they've once again snagged players outside of the first round who look like they'll follow in the successful footsteps of so many players in Wingsville before them.

In any case, saw him at the WC last spring and he looked very good playing against a lot of NHLers. Just a question of time until he's contributing in Detroit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What nhl player does he compare to?

He is somewhat similar to Jiri Hudler. His hockey sense and offensive ability are pretty close to that level but Tatar has got a very good pair of wheels on him and has more grit to his game. I'm not saying he is gritty but he will win battles in the corners and go to tough areas that Hudler has a bit of a reputation for avoiding.

Last year I'm pretty sure he was the youngest player to ever play in the AHL as well on a side note

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
A few weeks ago, I watched on TV an interview with him and I got a feeling, he also grew up mentally. You know, 2 years ago he was typical teenager.

Anyway, great to hear positive references about him in Grand Rapids this season ... Well done.

My answer for the thread question: I guess 40-50

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad