Where does Tkachuk rank all time as a Panther

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
1) yes
2) tops

My heart would like to say Luongo, if we're talking a franchise kind of guy, but we failed him and didn't really give him a chance to compete while still playing. Then you have the great individual effort seasons from Bure, but there was no playoff success or enough supporting cast, plus I don't feel he's very linked to Panthers. Guys from the '96 team are all loved, but no one player exceeded what Tkachuk did in a single season. Barkov's a great player and all, but he hasn't had quite a season peak yet like Tkachuk and the playoff success didn't really come until Tkachuk.

So yeah, I think Tkachuk has basically already become the greatest all-time Panther when taking everything together. We've been missing a player like him for so long. And the best part, he's just getting started.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
1) yes
2) tops

My heart would like to say Luongo, if we're talking a franchise kind of guy, but we failed him and didn't really give him a chance to compete while still playing. Then you have the great individual effort seasons from Bure, but there was no playoff success or enough supporting cast, plus I don't feel he's very linked to Panthers. Guys from the '96 team are all loved, but no one player exceeded what Tkachuk did in a single season. Barkov's a great player and all, but he hasn't had quite a season peak yet like Tkachuk and the playoff success didn't really come until Tkachuk.

So yeah, I think Tkachuk has basically already become the greatest all-time Panther when taking everything together. We've been missing a player like him for so long. And the best part, he's just getting started.
I pretty much agree: with the playoffs I can’t think of another season that compares: maybe by regular season bure’s
59 was more impressive

I think I’m comfortable saying Tkachuk ranks higher than Huberdeau. I won’t go there for Barkov yet tho

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Absolutely best panthers season I can think of. And I’m saying this as a Barkov fan. I’m hoping Barkov gets Barky11.0 installed and wrecks the league next year, inspired by MT.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It has to be number 1 if you look at both regular season and playoffs.

Other notable seasons include Bure (Rocket), Luongo (Vezina nomination), and Barkov (Selke). Although as I recall Barkov's season before he won the Selke was better.

As for all time, hard to rank after one season, but he's probably already top 5. Which is both great and sad when you think about it. He has become my favourite Panther. Amazing to have a player like this on our team in his prime.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
In my opinion, only a handful of Panthers have made such a massive impact that it's sent ripples throughout the entire league.

First, it was Mellanby and the whole rat-trick thing. That combined with number two, Vanbiesbrouck and his incredible run to help the team make the finals.

After that it was Bure, him simply being acquired made teams and fans finally take notice of the Panthers but that dwindled quickly and despite a couple electric seasons with the Panthers, Bure is nothing but a fading supernova about to burst ahead of an awful era in Panthers history.

Then for a while it was nothing, and nobody. Sure Huberdeau and Barkov are great players, but not exactly notable from a general fans perspective. Even Luongo got popular around the league after his time in Vancouver and his twitter account surfacing.

Tkachuk stands in alone in a very unique spot right now. He's immediately marked this team back on the map and his impact in one playoff run alone cannot be overstated. It's only been one season so who knows, it may dwindle like Bure's time did, but if I was a betting man I'd bet against that happening.

He not only has a chance to cement himself in Florida Panthers history (IMO he already has but that's more a testament to our sad history), but if he can bring a Cup to this team and contribute in a similar fashion that he did in this run then he's going to be a living legend in the NHL.

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
Bure had great seasons but the team was never able to capitalize on that 99-00 where they got swept by the eventual cup champions and dropped 32 points in the standings the next season with a similar roster. That really began that decade plus long run of bad to mediocre Panther teams.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Pavel Bure - my favourite player ever, so far - was the better scorer than MT. But the leadership MT brings, leading by example, effort level, going-where-it-hurts is just way better with MT. Bure was too onedimensional. Plus MT already with the better results in just one season... we could be in for observing an absolutely fantastic career here with MT

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
1. Others have had arguably better regular seasons (luongo, Bure, JVB) but through no fault of their own, don't have the postseason impact. Or the other way around, Bobrovsky comes to mind. But tkachuk has an argument for best individual postseason and regular season in franchise history and they happened in the same year. So taking that into account, I think this is decisively the best panther season ever

2. I don't think he should be near the top of an all time Panther ranking list just yet. One year alone, even if it's the best in franchise history, shouldn't be enough to overtake elite players that have had multiple great seasons with the franchise.

Reactions: violaswallet

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Ok, so a young superstar from a canadian market (who is also the son of a famed NHL star) basically handpicks a trade to the Panthers. Happily signs for max term on a very reasonable number. Okay, not a bad start...but what about his play?

His first season he basically drags us into the playoffs and to the finals... incredibly clutch goals and moments all the way there. All-Star MVP in our venue... Incredible teammate, leader, face of the franchise.

1 season in and this dude is very arguably the greatest Panther of all time already. If not, he certainly will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad