Where Does The Lightning Go From Here?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It was just something that crossed my mind since he and Kuch looked pretty good together at the worlds. It also helps that vegas is gonna have some serious issues if the cap is gonna stay below 83 mil.
Depends on salary and what Vegas wants. Also I am not sold on his game translating to the NHL.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would only be interested in him if his attitude of entitlement has improved. Dude has to be willing to earn his spot.

I feel like things would be different now than they were a few years ago. Plus we could have been saying that when we first drafted him or even a year or so after we drafted him and SY was pretty adamant about guys coming to earn their spot. At least he could have said it before we gave Point the job before going through the AHL now. I feel like if we traded for him we may tell him the very same thing, however JBB could also say, barring you just being a huge disappointment, you will most likely be on the team. Maybe he wouldnt even like that though.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I feel like things would be different now than they were a few years ago. Plus we could have been saying that when we first drafted him or even a year or so after we drafted him and SY was pretty adamant about guys coming to earn their spot. At least he could have said it before we gave Point the job before going through the AHL now. I feel like if we traded for him we may tell him the very same thing, however JBB could also say, barring you just being a huge disappointment, you will most likely be on the team. Maybe he wouldnt even like that though.
I guess it's really hard to know. However, seing the chemistry between he and Kucherov, as @Master P said earlier, it may be worth a look if it's not too expensive.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I guess it's really hard to know. However, seing the chemistry between he and Kucherov, as @Master P said earlier, it may be worth a look if it's not too expensive.

I remember seeing him and Kucherov at their rookie camps. They were clearly the best out there then. Would probably be good with each other in the NHL too. Although I would probably rather have him play with Stamkos or Point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Gusev makes much sense for us right now. We have plenty of small, skilled wingers. I don't think adding more of the same thing is going to help much.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
There has been some level of mismanagement of the team's cap and that has been the awarding of long term contracts (4 or more years) to non core players like Killorn, Palat, Gourde and Johnson. None of these players should have ever received more than 3 year deals and there value was inflated by the offensive system run by TB. Come playoff time when winning puck battles, hitting and scoring greasy goals becomes a premium, none of these 4 players has excelled (especially in the past 2 years).

TB must find a way to trade at least 2 of these players along with Callahan to get cap relief for Points extension and then add some gritty forwards like Coyle and O'Reilly! I am willing to part with this years #1 pick and a good prospect like Raddysh or Stephens to re-work our team. I think that Masin and Volkov can make our team as #22 and #23 members of the roster and contribute when injuries hit as they always do! Also this team must add another goalie who will be capable of splitting time at the AHL but capable of being an NHL backup in case of injury. I believe Vegas has a bunch of NHL caliber goalies!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There has been some level of mismanagement of the team's cap and that has been the awarding of long term contracts (4 or more years) to non core players like Killorn, Palat, Gourde and Johnson. None of these players should have ever received more than 3 year deals and there value was inflated by the offensive system run by TB. Come playoff time when winning puck battles, hitting and scoring greasy goals becomes a premium, none of these 4 players has excelled (especially in the past 2 years).

TB must find a way to trade at least 2 of these players along with Callahan to get cap relief for Points extension and then add some gritty forwards like Coyle and O'Reilly! I am willing to part with this years #1 pick and a good prospect like Raddysh or Stephens to re-work our team. I think that Masin and Volkov can make our team as #22 and #23 members of the roster and contribute when injuries hit as they always do! Also this team must add another goalie who will be capable of splitting time at the AHL but capable of being an NHL backup in case of injury. I believe Vegas has a bunch of NHL caliber goalies!

Killorn has been historically good in the playoffs. Johnson had one of TB's best ever post-seasons in 2015, and was instrumental in shutting down the Bruins in 2018.

Even non-core players require good contracts these days.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

This just isn't reality. Guys are being given 11M+ before they turn 21, young talent quickly prices itself out of retention. The fact that Tampa has amassed by far the greatest collection of talent in the NHL is because they've been able to retain their talent cheaply and have maneuvered themselves well. I guess these are the kind of unmeasured knee jerk reactions that come with being swept. I get it, we aren't happy and want to fix that abomination that appeared in the playoffs, but I think your scenario is just a little too convenient.

People forget that we missed the playoffs two years ago and this same board was clamoring about how we needed to produce in the regular season because anything could happen in the playoffs, we just had to make it. That was easy to say while the Pens were repeating with a bunch of small forwards and a terrible defense. Now that we've been bounced by the polar opposite, everybody wants a big and gritty team. Relax guys...

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This just isn't reality. Guys are being given 11M+ before they turn 21, young talent quickly prices itself out of retention. The fact that Tampa has amassed by far the greatest collection of talent in the NHL is because they've been able to retain their talent cheaply and have maneuvered themselves well. I guess these are the kind of unmeasured knee jerk reactions that come with being swept. I get it, we aren't happy and want to fix that abomination that appeared in the playoffs, but I think your scenario is just a little too convenient.

People forget that we missed the playoffs two years ago and this same board was clamoring about how we needed to produce in the regular season because anything could happen in the playoffs, we just had to make it. That was easy to say while the Pens were repeating with a bunch of small forwards and a terrible defense. Now that we've been bounced by the polar opposite, everybody wants a big and gritty team. Relax guys...
Agreed, but the one thing I want to add is that we do need some size. We are lacking a power forward in our bottom 6 would do us wonders.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed, but the one thing I want to add is that we do need some size. We are lacking a power forward in our bottom 6 would do us wonders.

I half way agree. What I've wanted us to draft and develop for the longest time is a scoring line power center. Think Getzlaf, Kessler, Toews, Johansen, Scheifele, etc. These are the types of guys who are absolutely invaluable in the playoffs because they are puck possession hogs and create havoc for the other team to account for and as a result create space to manufacture offense. The closest thing we've had to that was Howden and he was dealt off, management is allergic to these types of players for some reason, but they'd be such a boon for us.

It's shocking to me that the two player types that would benefit us the most, RHD and a large scoring C, we have done an underwhelming job of trying to acquire.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I half way agree. What I've wanted us to draft and develop for the longest time is a scoring line power center. Think Getzlaf, Kessler, Toews, Johansen, Scheifele, etc. These are the types of guys who are absolutely invaluable in the playoffs because they are puck possession hogs and create havoc for the other team to account for and as a result create space to manufacture offense. The closest thing we've had to that was Howden and he was dealt off, management is allergic to these types of players for some reason, but they'd be such a boon for us.

It's shocking to me that the two player types that would benefit us the most, RHD and a large scoring C, we have done an underwhelming job of trying to acquire.
Yup, in one way you would think that the Scouting Staff and Management is trying to "Outsmart" everyone when it comes to the draft too prove to people they know better. I don't disagree with the axiom that you can teach defense but you can't teach how to think the game, but they refuse to acknowledge you can't teach size.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad