Where does the Canucks forward group rank?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Jim Benning promised to be aggressive during his end of the season media scrum last year. He certainly lived up to that promise by making major changes to the roster. Will it be successful? thats yet to be detmined.

Though their D-core is average at best, the Canucks on paper seem to have one of the more balanced and deeper forward groups in the league.

We all know 2 things are needed with the forward group to be successful in the playoffs.

1. All-star power in the top 6
2. Depth Depth Depth. Balance Balance Balance. Playoffs are a grind but its also important that not everyone is a skilled guy. Need grinders, and grit players that know how to play in front of the net and in the corners.

Where would you rank their forward group?

Projected lineup

JT Miller- Pettersson- Boeser
Hoglander- Horvat- Garland
Pearson- Dickenson- Podkolzin
Motte- Sutter- Highmore
Macewan

Call ups: Petan, Gadjocvich, Lockwood, Justin Bailey, Dries, Downey, Di Guiseppe

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Jim Benning promised to be aggressive during his end of the season media scrum last year. He certainly lived up to that promise by making major changes to the roster. Will it be successful? thats yet to be detmined.

Though their D-core is average at best, the Canucks on paper seem to have one of the more balanced and deeper forward groups in the league.

We all know 2 things are needed with the forward group to be successful in the playoffs.

1. All-star power in the top 6
2. Depth Depth Depth. Balance Balance Balance. Playoffs are a grind but its also important that not everyone is a skilled guy. Need grinders, and grit players that know how to play in front of the net and in the corners.

Where would you rank their forward group?

Projected lineup

JT Miller- Pettersson- Boeser
Hoglander- Horvat- Garland
Pearson- Dickenson- Podkolzin
Motte- Sutter- Highmore
Macewan

Call ups: Petan, Gadjocvich, Lockwood, Justin Bailey, Dries, Downey, Di Guiseppe

The group is better than HF will give them credit for - mainly because of recency bias and a lack of understanding of how much better that third line is. They'll say they weren't good last year and Garland plus Dickinson only gets them to average, ignoring that the year before a worse top 6 was one of the best in the NHL and that Pettersson was injured last year. Podkolzin will be a perfect fit stylistically and will be thrust into a modest role where he won't be expected to score 20 goals or 40 pts. That third line is the second coming of Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermeyer and the top six will be even more lethal. They should be ranked in the top 10 now but I am betting they end up top 5.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Top 6 is top ten in league. The 3rd line has the ability to be a shutdown group but can't see it scoring much. The 4th is meh average at best. So as a group I'd say they are around 12-17. They will score plenty goals but they will allow plenty as well.

Reactions: ponder and Samzilla

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Their top 6 is around 10th best in the league, I'd say. Bottom six has some question marks, but is probably middle of the pack.

Last edited:

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The group is better than HF will give them credit for - mainly because of recency bias and a lack of understanding of how much better that third line is. They'll say they weren't good last year and Garland plus Dickinson only gets them to average, ignoring that the year before a worse top 6 was one of the best in the NHL and that Pettersson was injured last year. Podkolzin will be a perfect fit stylistically and will be thrust into a modest role where he won't be expected to score 20 goals or 40 pts. That third line is the second coming of Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermeyer and the top six will be even more lethal. They should be ranked in the top 10 now but I am betting they end up top 5.
Elite homerism. They are 15-20th best forward group.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I mean none of their players were that close to being PPG and there are like, lots and lots of PPG players in this league and they don't play that well defensively so...

Reactions: EdJovanovski

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I mean none of their players were particularly close to being PPG and there are like, lots and lots of PPG players in this league and they don't play that well defensively so

JT Miller has 118 pts in his last 122 games and thats with an injured Pettersson for most of last year.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I was nodding right along with you regarding the Garland + Dickinson + Pettersson points you were making

Then we hit the last two sentences

Reactions: bh53 and Lt Dan

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Top 6 is quite good.... bottom 6 is WOOF

woof might be harsh for the bottom 6.

Pearson has scored 40 goals in his 3 shortened season with the Canucks.

Podkolzin is a recent top 10 pick and is a 2 way beast.

Motte Dickenson and Sutter are PKers and defensive matchup roles.

Just out of curiosity can you list me the bottom 6 of the top foward groups you consider so i can have a comparison.

Reactions: bh53

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I was nodding right along with you regarding the Garland + Dickinson + Pettersson points you were making

Then we hit the last two sentences

the pahlsson line is an exaggeration probably. It is a big question mark how good they’ll be, Pearson is an above average third liner, Dickinson is elite defensively (bad offensively) and Pod is purported to be a great 2 way player, but I’m probably getting ahead of myself with him. I just have a feeling about him and love the stylistic fit based on team need.

as for the top 5 comment, as I said, 2 years ago they were top 10 and had Loui Ericsson and Pearson in their top 6.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
the pahlsson line is an exaggeration probably. It is a big question mark how good they’ll be, Pearson is an above average third liner, Dickinson is elite defensively (bad offensively) and Pod is purported to be a great 2 way player, but I’m probably getting ahead of myself with him. I just have a feeling about him and love the stylistic fit based on team need.

as for the top 5 comment, as I said, 2 years ago they were top 10 and had Loui Ericsson and Pearson in their top 6.
so you have a history of exaggeration?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
barring injury,

I think this Canucks group finishes at worst 15th overall in offence.

-shackles off on Horvat
- added playmaking in Garland
- upcoming soon to be contract years for Boeser, Horvat, Miller and even EP if he only signs bridge
- Elite offensive Dmen in Hughes getting the puck to the forwards
- Pacific Division is weak

Reactions: JAK and bh53

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

How’d they do 1 year ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad