Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Montreal

Drouin tavares pacioretty
Letkonen stastny gallagher
Scherbak danault galchenyuk
Hudon de la rose byron

Dahlen weber
Mete petry
Juulsen alzner

Price

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan here, I'm pretty sure he is done with the NYI for a number of reasons:
  1. The arena situation in Long Island will not be resolved until almost half way through his contract;
  2. Snow has picked some great young players and likely to load up on two more great prospects but has done little to add to the the team to get the them into the playoffs while JT is on a reasonable cap hit. I actually think the organization has secretly moved on because of Barzal's emergence;
  3. Goaltending and D issues, don't know what they have in terms of up and coming but Toronto was a rudderless ship until Andersen came along and it's not easy to find a top 15 goalie which I believe you need to win the SC.
Where does he end up?

• STL-Great D, Solid forward group and great prospects. Suspect Goaltending;
  • SJS-Solid D, Great Forward group and Net is solid
  • MTL-Best Goalie in the World, lots of great complimentary pieces that would align with him as the 1C, Good Coach and likely to offer the most cash;
  • TML-Say what you will, it could be done. Matthews and JT would be up there with any 1/2C combo in the NHL. Both Matthews and JT would likely have to take a paycut to play together. Likely need to trade Gardiner and Martin, go after Carlson and Bob's your uncle.
  • CAR-Got a great supporting cast of forwards, D is solid, Goaltending is their one weakness and likely what will prevent them from being a viable destination;
  • NJ-Very young team looking for a leader, Solid Forwards, Solid D, and Schneider is top 15 or better IMO.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Nope I have no problem with Isles fans wanting Tavares back. Infact I stated this in my post above earlier this morning. Absolutely no problem with this. I understand attachment to homegrown players. Maybe this is why my assessment is more impartial. I am not an Isles fan, you are. I only comment what I see on the ice. Isles fans will know I have been nothing but complimentary to Barzal. Players play well I will say so. When they don't I will point this out too.

Oh lord :laugh:

Okay, still no answer. So, again. What would make you feel satisfied? People not wanting Tavares to sign with their teams? Because I'm really trying to understand your point here. Maybe you want... I don't know, see him without a contract next year? Or you don't like all the talk about him?

Yes, I'm a fan of the Islanders but that doesn't mean I'm also a fan of Tavares. Or Ladd. Or Bailey. Or any other player on this godforsaken team. And I can easily criticize Tavares. I agree with you, his skating isn't the best and there's really not much he can do to improve. I just don't agree that he's gonna slow down so much in the next few years that it'll really be a problem regarding his contract, because he doesn't rely that much on his skating while playing. And that is a simple mechanism that can be applied to other players, not somethig specifically related to Tavares.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Toronto, if he really wants to get his name on the SC, their window is is going to be wide open for the next 5 years

JT could get the family name on that cup possibly 3 times in that span, and if he did his grand kids would probably never have to pay for a meal in toronto ever

as far as pay cuts go 7 yrs 11per as long as Matty takes the same, both players would have out clauses after 5 years

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh lord :laugh:

Okay, still no answer. So, again. What would make you feel satisfied? People not wanting Tavares to sign with their teams? Because I'm really trying to understand your point here. Maybe you want... I don't know, see him without a contract next year? Or you don't like all the talk about him?

Yes, I'm a fan of the Islanders but that doesn't mean I'm also a fan of Tavares. Or Ladd. Or Bailey. Or any other player on this godforsaken team. And I can easily criticize Tavares. I agree with you, his skating isn't the best and there's really not much he can do to improve. I just don't agree that he's gonna slow down so much in the next few years that it'll really be a problem regarding his contract, because he doesn't rely that much on his skating while playing. And that is a simple mechanism that can be applied to other players, not somethig specifically related to Tavares.

Question about what? You want me to name an acceptable price on his next contract if I were a GM?

Relax there. Just ask I will answer. I am not too sure what you are asking me.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Toronto, if he really wants to get his name on the SC, their window is is going to be wide open for the next 5 years

JT could get the family name on that cup possibly 3 times in that span, and if he did his grand kids would probably never have to pay for a meal in toronto ever

as far as pay cuts go 7 yrs 11per as long as Matty takes the same, both players would have out clauses after 5 years

What are these out clauses you speak of, this is not baseball or basketball

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Question about what? You want me to name an acceptable price on his next contract if I were a GM? Relax there. Just ask I will answer.

Well, but I'm asking for the third time here :laugh:
1) What would make you feel satisfied?
2) Would you be happy if people didn't want Tavares to sign with their teams?

And yeah, when you said it, I'm curious about the price range you have for him.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What are these out clauses you speak of, this is not baseball or basketball
why are they specified as ineligible under the CBA guidelines? If they are then fine, but because nobody has publicly stated they use them, does not mean they do not exist.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, but I'm asking for the third time here :laugh:
1) What would make you feel satisfied?
2) Would you be happy if people didn't want Tavares to sign with their teams?

And yeah, when you said it, I'm curious about the price range you have for him.

If I were a GM I would do something big and short. I guess 9M x 4 years. But 5 years would probably the minimum his agent would take. I feel a shorter contract, bigger cap hit is the way to go for a 28 year old next season, that I know you do not want to hear it, may be slowing. I am using the evidence of what I see in the past 2 months of play as I am sure NHL scouts will be asked by their GM"s on JT's recent play. I would be leary of any Weber type of lifetime contracts.

What would make me satisfied? If JT does not agree, I would set my sights on reallocating the cap space elsewhere. What I would have done, I did say before the deadline was deal JT for prospects and a valuable 1st rd pick to add to the 2 they have already and rebuild around their superb rookie, Barzal. But that bridge has been crossed and closed.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'm betting he stays East (just seems like the M.O. for most stars in EC markets), but if he does come West, I don't see how the Avs aren't a legitimate option - especially over teams like SJ and STL. Only real argument I can see is that he won't be 'the guy' but JT doesn't seem like the guy where that would be a factor. The Avs have one of the most ideal cap climates in the entire league, are an exciting young team with a bright future, and you get to join another superstar to create one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Not to mention Denver is a great place to live. Like I said, I'm betting he stays out East, but if he does consider the West, Colorado should be right near the top of his list.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If I were a GM I would do something big and short. I guess 9M x 4 years. But 5 years would probably the minimum his agent would take. I feel a shorter contract, bigger cap hit is the way to go for a 28 year old next season, that I know you do not want to hear it, may be slowing. I am using the evidence of what I see in the past 2 months of play as I am sure NHL scouts will be asked. I would be leary of any Weber type of lifetime contracts.

You know, I was really going to take this seriously, and then you said this. Past 2 months. So you're basically using the evidence from a very short period of time when he played like shit. And here I am looking up games from 2 and 3 years ago and comparing it to this year's games and looking for signs of slowing down.

Why wouldn't I want to hear it? I can. I can also accept it (hence my looking up games and comparing it to see if something really is there) without any problems. And sure, in 7 years he's not going to be the same player that he is today, but that can be said about every UFA?

What would make me satisfied? If JT does not agree, I would set my sights on reallocating the cap space elsewhere. What I would have done, I did say before the deadline was deal JT for prospects and a valuable 1st rd pick to add to the 2 they have already and rebuild around their superb rookie, Barzal. But that bridge has been crossed and closed.

I think now I finally understand you. It must be so frustrating thinking he's worth 9M x 4 years and people here want to give him 12M x 7/8 years or even more.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I would have said Nashville last summer but they have their top two centers locked down long term.

NJ will have significant interest and I believe JT will be interested in NJ as well.

Hischer is more or less equivalent to Barzal, and they have Hall along with a really solid group of prospects/young pro players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You know, I was really going to take this seriously, and then you said this. Past 2 months. So you're basically using the evidence from a very short period of time when he played like ****. And here I am looking up games from 2 and 3 years ago and comparing it to this year's games and looking for signs of slowing down.

This is the call GM's make. They do not look at a 28 year old and say how this player will play for me when he was 25. This would be faulty thinking would it not? Haven't you heard of playing for your next contract? This is the time for JT to show his worth, but all we have are question marks can he keep up with the play in today's game.

I think now I finally understand you. It must be so frustrating thinking he's worth 9M x 4 years and people here want to give him 12M x 7/8 years or even more.

If a team gives him McDavid money, and think he is worth McDavid money at age 28. Then I would say adios Johnny. If you think he is worth the money that the best player is making in the game today? I am sorry, you are not thinking straight or you are only thinking with your heart.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
i think he stays.

my premise is that John is thy type who if he leaves will look at himself as a failure, because of his uncle he is driven to be a one team player and with his fiancee aryne negotiating a position with a hospital on the island, it seems that they are at least exploring staying, at least she isnt acting as a hinderance

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
This is the call GM's make. They do not look at a 28 year old and say how this player will play for me when he was 25. This would be faulty thinking would it not? Haven't you heard of playing for your next contract? This is the time for JT to show his worth, but all we have are question marks can he keep up with the play in today's game.

Nah, you didn't understand me. If you look at two months of the player you won't see how he is changing, how his game is evolving/devolving, in what direction he's going. All of these things needs a wider time perspective and you won't see them looking at two months. Sure, then you need to take into account that he's going to be older and slower and how the league is going to change, but still, it requires time. Do you really think a smart GM is looking only at two months before he signs a player to a multimillion dollar contract?

If a team gives him McDavid money, and think he is worth McDavid money at age 28. Then I would say adios Johnny. If you think he is worth the money that the best player is making in the game today? I am sorry, you are not thinking straight or you are only thinking with your heart.

At no point did I say I think he's worth that kind of money. I said: "people here want to give him 12M x 7/8 years or even more", because I see posts saying it will take that much for him to sign. I do think he should get 7/8 years, but as the money part, I would aim lower than 12M. But maybe there's a team who would give him that much. We'll see in a few months, I guess.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO if he leaves NYI it'll be to go to a team that is already provably better. Leaving there to got MTL or NYR makes zero sense to me.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
why are they specified as ineligible under the CBA guidelines? If they are then fine, but because nobody has publicly stated they use them, does not mean they do not exist.

Article 11.1(a) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement states, in part, "The standard form SPC annexed hereto as Exhibit 1 will be the sole form of employment contract used for all Player signings after the execution of this Agreement. The standard form SPC may not be amended or modified in any manner whatsoever. ..."

The standard player contract doesn't contain the type of provision you mentioned about players having an out from the contract after 5 years. There are express provisions elsewhere in the collective bargaining agreement specifically permitting European out clauses and no trade or no movement clauses, but there is nothing in the cba about permitting players to opt out part way through their contracts.

Imo the type of provision you suggest would be a modification of the standard form contract which is not permitted under the cba.

On a completely unrelated point, we seem to have essentially the same thread started March 16, then again March 20.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have a hard time seeing SJS resigning Thornton and Kane if the sign Tavares.

A lot of things have to happen for that to occur but it is feasible. If the cap goes to 82 million, Tavares signs for 12 mil, Kane signs for 6 mil, Thornton takes a contract that has a low base salary and a significant amount of bonus money in it. They would also need to do two of three things being buying out Paul Martin, and/or trading Melker Karlsson, and/or trading Mikkel Boedker. All those things are feasible. All of it happening is unlikely. If the Sharks land Tavares, there really isn't a need to keep Thornton unless you're willing to move Couture/Hertl to wing. But if you do that then there really isn't a need to re-sign Kane since you'd have Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, Meier, Donskoi, Labanc, and some others depending on movement to the wing.

The knock on San Jose is that their core is pretty old. Pavelski, Burns and Thornton won't be around for more then half of JT's contract. I think he probably stays in Long Island but NYI is missing the play offs again and he could be considering a contender.

Vegas would be a compelling choice.
A less likely yet interesting alternative would be CBJ.
JT could sign in San Jose but he would do that knowing there probably no more then a 2-3 year window for the cup

The uninformed knock is that their core is pretty old. They have core pieces coming up that people should probably look into.

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa
Obviously other teams also receive a similar benefit but I feel that the Habs have prob the most publicized need and IMO J.T can affect the biggest change on the Habs. Or if the Habs win the Lottery it may be the 1st time in a while we see a 1st OA traded.

You're looking at this through a very narrow lens, at least half the teams in the league need a 1C and any team signing him is in for a BIG change. 1C's just don't grow on trees.

Not sure what you're insinuating about the 1OA being traded... hes a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad