Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Money makes interest
Every team after Tavares will offer 10+ with term.

Winning, market size, and team fit is going to be what lures him in the end.

If that's not the case, he's staying in NY. The pressure he's been under there would only be doubled if he played in MTL

Last edited:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
why the hell would he go to Montreal?

What is incentive? a few decent players and a tire fire just hoping Price can Carey again (pun fully intended)

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Question to all Islanders fans : how much is Tavares worth in today's market? Is he worth 12M a year?

You guys know him best...

That depends, because we don't live in a vaccum. To some teams (that need that legit #1C desperately) he could be worth $12M per year, to other teams he wouldn't. I like the guy and there's not much bad that can be said about him, he's level-headed, has a great work ethic, leading by example kind of captain. His defensive play is an issue, though. I would say he's worth around $9-10M per year but probably it will take even $10-11M to sign him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Isn't it obvious? He's going to colorado where he can make bank while riding shotgun to the Nathan MacKinnon Experience. Youngest team in the league, who are giving the president's trophy winners hell despite missing their starting goalie, their #1 & #4 blueliners; their biggest hole (by far) is a second scoring line that can capitalize on the attention that 92-29-96 get on the road and they have a stupid amount of cap space so could move forward with:

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Jost - *Tavares* - Andrighetto
Nieto - Soderberg - Wilson
Greer - Kamenev - Compher
Kerfoot

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Johnson
Barberio - Nemeth*
*Meloche / Timmins / Makar

*sigh* if only...oh well. With all of the prospects & extra picks we still have coming in all we really need is to convince Stastny not to take a back breaking deal to fill that 2C spot before sliding down to replace Soda.

Last edited:
Reactions: a mangy Meowth

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'm wondering the $ame thing. Like what rea$on could he po$$ibly find to to $ign with the Hab$? I$ there a $ingle thing they can offer him that would make him think about it?

The Habs cant blow everyone else out of the water with their offer. Many others can offer similar money and a better chance to win.. so again why Montreal?

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm wondering the $ame thing. Like what rea$on could he po$$ibly find to to $ign with the Hab$? I$ there a $ingle thing they can offer him that would make him think about it?

:laugh: It’s true. We can make the biggest offer and I think we will. Price, Weber, Tavares, Chucky, Drouin, Gallagher, Pacioretty, (Zadina/Hughes/Tkachuk/Boqvist). Plus poehling looks like he’s got number 2 upside That’s a hell of a core to build around.

Reactions: KawaYui

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
If the Sabres win the lottery and can move ROR for a D, signing JT would only be a 3-4M cap hit increase over ROR. I dont see it happening at all, but it could be done with the cap.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I'm not saying that the Habs can't offer him a big ass contract, because they probably do (there's a question if they should, but oh well...), but how much of that money Tavares could actually keep? If we would compare the tax rate in Quebec to a place like... Nashville? Vegas? Florida? I wouldn't be surprised if the teams there could offer Tavares smaller contract but he still would get more money.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I'm not saying that the Habs can't offer him a big ass contract, because they probably do (there's a question if they should, but oh well...), but how much of that money Tavares could actually keep? If we would compare the tax rate in Quebec to a place like... Nashville? Vegas? Florida? I wouldn't be surprised if the teams there could offer Tavares smaller contract but he still would get more money.

Exactly. Its everything that was talked about with Stamkos going to FA except he already was in Florida so he stayed. JT will go elsewhere from Montreal

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Not saying he's coming to MTL, because he won't, but players of that caliber make boat loads off their personal brand in these markets, offsetting any loses to taxes.

Companies in a major hockey markets line up to use players likeness. Something along the line of Canadian Tire being part of the negotiations with Stamkos in Leaf land.

Florida would have better success marketing a high school football quarterback over Tavares

Reactions: kenito7

Jan 21, 2018
Isn't it obvious? He's going to colorado where he can make bank while riding shotgun to the Nathan MacKinnon Experience. Youngest team in the league, who are giving the president's trophy winners hell despite missing their starting goalie, their #1 & #4 blueliners; their biggest hole (by far) is a second scoring line that can capitalize on the attention that 92-29-96 get on the road and they have a stupid amount of cap space so could move forward with:

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Jost - *Tavares* - Andrighetto
Nieto - Soderberg - Wilson
Greer - Kamenev - Compher
Kerfoot

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Johnson
Barberio - Nemeth*
*Meloche / Timmins / Makar

*sigh* if only...oh well. With all of the prospects & extra picks we still have coming in all we really need is to convince Stastny not to take a back breaking deal to fill that 2C spot before sliding down to replace Soda.

Tavares in Colorado would be filthy.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
:laugh: It’s true. We can make the biggest offer and I think we will. Price, Weber, Tavares, Chucky, Drouin, Gallagher, Pacioretty, (Zadina/Hughes/Tkachuk/Boqvist). Plus poehling looks like he’s got number 2 upside That’s a hell of a core to build around.

Except that it isn’t

Reactions: Lays

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Colorado has everything Tavares needs and might have a top 10 pick in 2019 with the Ottawa pick. East is a more difficult path to the cup right now.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Colorado has everything Tavares needs and might have a top 10 pick in 2019 with the Ottawa pick. East is a more difficult path to the cup right now.

They don't have a number 1 D.
The Ottawa pick will not be an asset whatsoever during the negotiations. It's a 1st rounder for next year and there's no guarantee it's a top 10 pick.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
They don't have a number 1 D.
The Ottawa pick will not be an asset whatsoever during the negotiations. It's a 1st rounder for next year and there's no guarantee it's a top 10 pick.
The Avs have a good enough top 4 D.

And they have 2 very good D prospects on the way.

How do you know how JT perceives EJ? Maybe he sees him as a #1D.

Also, why is the #1D such an important aspect? The Avs defence is better than the habs, despite having man-mountain Weber as their #1. So what’s with this JT needs a #1D or he’s not signing there argument? Is there proof of this? A link? A source?

Or just some random requirement to give yourself a better chance in your mind?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I think that he wants to stay on the Island. That said if he does decide to leave, I expect that it will be to a team that is a cup contender and one that can afford him. Not sure if there are many teams that count as cup contenders that can actually afford him without giving up major pieces to do so.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Avs have a good enough top 4 D.

And they have 2 very good D prospects on the way.

How do you know how JT perceives EJ? Maybe he sees him as a #1D.

Also, why is the #1D such an important aspect? The Avs defence is better than the habs, despite having man-mountain Weber as their #1. So what’s with this JT needs a #1D or he’s not signing there argument? Is there proof of this? A link? A source?

Or just some random requirement to give yourself a better chance in your mind?

It's all about comparing them to his options. The Avs D compared to the Blues or the Sharks, it's tough to really give that edge to Colorado from that perspective. Colorado having MacKinnon could be a huge point in their favor but then again that D and the fact that Varlamov could bounce after next season could disqualify the Avs from the JT sweepstakes. We likely won't know until it actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad