Speculation: Where does Tanev sign and what contact does he get?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think Canucks prioritize him over Markstrom and Toffoli. The Hughes factor will play a massive role. Hughes is the 2nd most important player for the Canucks franchise and having a stable partner to help him develop is crucial.

Reactions: qqaz

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
My Canucks offer to keep him would be 3 years @ 4.25m per, anymore term or higher cap hit and he can walk. He was been a good soldier but he is over 30 now and we need to turn a new guard on the D and get younger and add some grit.

He will be missed but he has earned a lot already with us so if he needs another pay raise it should be from another team imo

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
My Canucks offer to keep him would be 3 years @ 4.25m per, anymore term or higher cap hit and he can walk. He was been a good soldier but he is over 30 now and we need to turn a new guard on the D and get younger and add some grit.

He will be missed but he has earned a lot already with us so if he needs another pay raise it should be from another team imo
I seriously doubt he’ll sign for less money than he’s already making

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd love him on the Leafs. He and Rielly looked so good together at the Worlds a few years back. However, 30 years old and his history with injuries...3x4.5...he'll do better elsewhere.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Van should let Toffoli and Markstrom walk, sign Tanev and Pietrangelo.

Edler - Pietrangelo
Hughes - Tanev
Rathbone/Juolevi - Myers
Benn

Defense sorted.

So many questions about how this will work especially when Petey and Hughes sign for 10+ each since long term.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Funny how a year can change minds. Pretty sure many teams (*cough leaf fans*) wanted nothing to to with tanev because he was too injury riddled. Which I get is still a worry but when he is healthy he’s a rock! Blocking machine... Great fit with Hughes.

With that said maybe a 3-4yr contract around $5M. Benning has said he wants tanev back but still not sure where the cap space is coming from.
Theres more than a few of us who've wanted Tanev here for years. And to be fair, hes missed a ton of games over his career. He comes with significant risk.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
5th in the league last year for short-handed time on ice/game for defenders. Tanev is a dream for Toronto. But the injury history is real, and the Leafs can't afford to give him a huge cap-hit.

If he's interested in term, I think they'll go more than 3 years for him. And front-loading a contract should be appealing to a guy who knows he's hurt a lot.

I'd offer 5 years at 4 million. I'd go a bit higher on dollars or term, but not both. And I know some fans would be against a 5 year deal already, and understandably so.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
5th in the league last year for short-handed time on ice/game for defenders. Tanev is a dream for Toronto. But the injury history is real, and the Leafs can't afford to give him a huge cap-hit.

If he's interested in term, I think they'll go more than 3 years for him. And front-loading a contract should be appealing to a guy who knows he's hurt a lot.

I'd offer 5 years at 4 million. I'd go a bit higher on dollars or term, but not both. And I know some fans would be against a 5 year deal already, and understandably so.
That’s fine. But he won’t sign a three year deal in Toronto imo. I think 4 years is the minimum he signs for at this point if he leaves Vancouver.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not really interested in a long-term deal here. It would be a boost anchor before too long.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Theres more than a few of us who've wanted Tanev here for years. And to be fair, hes missed a ton of games over his career. He comes with significant risk.
You could see this year with Hughes and even the forwards who finally could skate and get breakouts that Tanev FINALLY didn't have to wait and wait and wait for guys to get open and was able to avoid lots of those hits that were always destroying him in years past. His big fault for the longest time was he would wait for guys to skate to position and being an old and slow team guys were that half step behind and he would wait and wait for them to get open and then get crushed in the process. It was painful to watch but the last year+ finally having guys who can skate has vastly helped him get rid of that puck quicker. Gonna be a bummer to lose him but haven't heard much of Van trying to get him back recently.

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
Seems crazy to give 8 years, but I get it. I'd do the same for 7 years from Toronto (max term we can offer).

I don't get it.Too much term unnessary for a probable solid 3rd pairing guy. will block players in the pipeline.

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
You see kids, when people gets injured, they go on LITR and retire.

You front load the 8 years as much as you can, and basically Tanev can retire whenever he wants later.

This keeps a lower cap hit than signing him to a $5m x 5 years.[/QUOTE

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad