Speculation: Where does Tanev sign and what contact does he get?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I could see him back in Vancity or a place like Detroit, Winnipeg, Florida Boston Arizona or even Edmonton or the Islanders

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Funny how a year can change minds. Pretty sure many teams (*cough leaf fans*) wanted nothing to to with tanev because he was too injury riddled. Which I get is still a worry but when he is healthy he’s a rock! Blocking machine... Great fit with Hughes.

With that said maybe a 3-4yr contract around $5M. Benning has said he wants tanev back but still not sure where the cap space is coming from.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You see kids, when people gets injured, they go on LITR and retire.

You front load the 8 years as much as you can, and basically Tanev can retire whenever he wants later.

This keeps a lower cap hit than signing him to a $5m x 5 years.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Basically the title is the entire thread premise. Does Vancouver have the cap space for him?

I was thinking he could be a good fit for Pittsburgh as we could use a 3RD, and his brother plays here.

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Tanev
POJ-Ruhwedel
(Johnson shot off into the sun)

Seems like a defensive unit that can contend for a cup.

I thought all players go to the Leafs first

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Basically the title is the entire thread premise. Does Vancouver have the cap space for him?

I was thinking he could be a good fit for Pittsburgh as we could use a 3RD, and his brother plays here.

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Tanev
POJ-Ruhwedel
(Johnson shot off into the sun)

Seems like a defensive unit that can contend for a cup.
I heard tanevs name around pitt...probably a no go but never know

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Canucks fan, nervous about his next contract and seriously considering whether the smart move is to walk away. He's still very good, but has suffered a number of injuries and is clearly declining already.

I think his contract will be an issue if signed for more term or salary than $4m and 4 years. I expect him to get $5m x 5 years as a UFA overpayment. He could get more in term and salary.

If he were willing to do it, I'd be tempted to push him for something like $3.5m x 8 years, as front loaded as possible.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Why Pit? Can’t see him as a fit there. Tanev is the ideal partner fir a young elite skilled LSD.

Our 3rd pairing has been a flaming dumpster on fire thats on fire and if we can figure out a team to take Jack Johnson we could give our young left shot defenseman Pierre Olivier Joseph a nice partner in Tanev.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think 4M for Tanev is the most we can do on the Pens. He likely does better elsewhere.
His current cap hit is $4.45m. If he takes the same percentage of cap as his last contract he’ll come in at $5.25m. I seriously doubt he’ll sign anywhere for $4m

Nov 1, 2011
How would that fit under that cap

Have to do the proposed trade from another thread to dump Eriksson.

Eriksson + Roussel for Ryan (saves Sens $$$, saves Canucks cap). Buyout Ryan.

Markstrom out -$3.7m
Toffoli out -$4.6m
Erikson out -$6m
Roussel out -$3m
Ryan buyout +$3.6m

Net $13.7m out to sign Pietrangelo + raises on re-signings. Tanev is $0 increase at $4.45m.

Sign Pietrangelo 7 x $10m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad