Where does Steph Curry and Kevin Durant rank among all time greats?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Lmfao how did Steph hurt you?

Steph is a better scorer, period. Way better. Way better defender too. These things separate him from Nash.
You'd think Ayesha Curry was that poster's ex gf given his irrational bias against Steph LOL

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think Curry's the best shooter ever , but he 100% benefits from playing in this era.

Durant could play in any era , and is one of the best scorers of all-time. A total freak of nature.

Durant is without a doubt a top 20 player - with Curry, it's a little more difficult , but he's absurdly skilled and has the resume to back it up.

I'd love to see prime Gary Payton guard Curry with 90's rules in place , but unfortunately, I can't. I don't think Curry could do as much unless he was on a super stacked team like he is now. If you gave him just a reasonably talented team with rules that actually allowed defenders to defend and he had to be the focal point like Zeke was, I just can't see him dominating like he does now. His lack of athleticism would really hurt him , despite having the best range of all-time (imo). You actually allow perimeter defenders to get up on him and put their hands on him... he just wouldn't be able to create off the dribble to the same degree. He'd have to resort to off-ball movement and catch and shoot scenarios a lot more than he does now (which, to be fair , he's exceptional at). He'd still be a great player , but he wouldn't be mentioned where he is now.

Isiah Thomas isn't rated as highly as he should be , imo. But he would an absolute monster in the modern NBA. A monster. For me , he and Curry are about neck and neck.

The NBA wanted free-flowing scoring that accentuated the talents of the skilled small man , and they got their wish. It's a completely different game now , and Curry epitomizes it.

For me , there's quite a few PG's I'd take over Curry all-time , with Durant, it's a very small list of SF's. (Bird and Lebron).

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Isiah wouldn't be that great in this era with his terrible 3pt shooting.

Curry would dominate in any era since the 3 point line was introduced. He would have completely broken the game in the 90s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Curry would dominate in any era since the 3 point line was introduced. He would have completely broken the game in the 90s.

If we're playing the "what they'd do in a different era" game my answer is always Walt "Clyde" Frazier. One of the best defensive guards of all time, a brilliant playmaker, clutch AF, and one of the best shooters of his era...I will always be disappointed that so much of his career came before the introduction of the 3pt line or steals being recorded. Imagining what Frazier could've done had he grown up shooting 3s with modern spacing...ugh would he have been nasty; like a prime CP3 only more dominant defensively and with more finesse in the paint.

...those championship Knicks teams as a whole I'd love to see in the modern NBA. So much ball movement, so much shooting...Lucas was basically a stretch 5 in hindsight...plus that motherf***ing Rolls-Royce-backcourt with Clyde & Black Jesus.

Reactions: Jack Straw

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Curry's the best shooter ever , but he 100% benefits from playing in this era.

Durant could play in any era , and is one of the best scorers of all-time. A total freak of nature.

Durant is without a doubt a top 20 player - with Curry, it's a little more difficult , but he's absurdly skilled and has the resume to back it up.

I'd love to see prime Gary Payton guard Curry with 90's rules in place , but unfortunately, I can't. I don't think Curry could do as much unless he was on a super stacked team like he is now. If you gave him just a reasonably talented team with rules that actually allowed defenders to defend and he had to be the focal point like Zeke was, I just can't see him dominating like he does now. His lack of athleticism would really hurt him , despite having the best range of all-time (imo). You actually allow perimeter defenders to get up on him and put their hands on him... he just wouldn't be able to create off the dribble to the same degree. He'd have to resort to off-ball movement and catch and shoot scenarios a lot more than he does now (which, to be fair , he's exceptional at). He'd still be a great player , but he wouldn't be mentioned where he is now.

Isiah Thomas isn't rated as highly as he should be , imo. But he would an absolute monster in the modern NBA. A monster. For me , he and Curry are about neck and neck.

The NBA wanted free-flowing scoring that accentuated the talents of the skilled small man , and they got their wish. It's a completely different game now , and Curry epitomizes it.

For me , there's quite a few PG's I'd take over Curry all-time , with Durant, it's a very small list of SF's. (Bird and Lebron).

Remove zone defenses from the equation and Curry could shoot 50% from 3.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

If you assume he wouldn't just work on his jump shot , like literally any other player in this era.

Friggin' big men that couldn't shoot have altered their games and adapted.

Isiah would do just fine. His talent and work ethic was as good as it gets.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
nonsense.

The rule changes were made for more perimeter production , not to decrease it.

Right, because allowing zone defenses with the old handchecking rules had decreased production too severely. Nobody had an issue with perimeter scoring prior to the introduction of zone defenses to the NBA

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If you assume he wouldn't just work on his jump shot , like literally any other player in this era.

Friggin' big men that couldn't shoot have altered their games and adapted.

Isiah would do just fine. His talent and work ethic was as good as it gets.
He could have worked on his range in the 80s too, but he didn't. That's why Chris Paul is a better version of Zeke.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
He could have worked on his range in the 80s too, but he didn't. That's why Chris Paul is a better version of Zeke.

What kind of logic is that?

Zeke didn't develop/uitilize his 3 pointer because the era didn't require it or encourage it to the same degree, not because he was incapable.

He's not Rondo.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Right, because allowing zone defenses with the old handchecking rules had decreased production too severely. Nobody had an issue with perimeter scoring prior to the introduction of zone defenses to the NBA

Certain player types had no issue.

Name a focal point scoring player with Curry's (lack of) athleticism/body type that dominated in the 90's on the perimeter.

It just didn't happen. You needed size/athleticism to be a scoring guard (that's an elite player) , or you'd be a facilitator , or worse a role player.

He'd be forced to use ball-screens way more , and he wouldn't be nearly as effective driving to the hoop despite having a ridiculous touch around the rim.

Iverson was really the first guy to break the mold (as an elite scorer), and no , I don't think Curry could've handled the punishment A.I took earlier in his career , nor do I think he was a good of an athlete. A.I was a freak , Curry's just not.

You can't touch people out there any more , that has benefitted Curry as much as anyone. Zone defense means nothing to a guy with his range. Zone defense hurts the big man , or the slasher, more than the shooter. It has to be man-to-man against Curry , and you have to fight through a million screens (which they don't even let you do anymore). If you switch a big on to him - you die.

In the 90's that wouldn't have been as big of an issue , because you could actually put hands on people and fight through screens. A hand-checked Curry being funnelled into the paint is not a 30 ppg guy. Not unless he's on a historically stacked team again.

Reactions: Voight

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
What kind of logic is that?

Zeke didn't develop/uitilize his 3 pointer because the era didn't require it or encourage it to the same degree, not because he was incapable.

He's not Rondo.
He took 3s at a shitty percentage his whole career, come on.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
He took 3s at a ****ty percentage his whole career, come on.

compare it to the rest of the league during his time. It wasn't that bad at all.

It looks bad in this era , for sure.

Guys can improve their shots if they put the time in , and the era demands it. Look across the league at all the players that have adapted.

Friggin' Valanciunas is shooting 3's now.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Certain player types had no issue.

Name a focal point scoring player with Curry's (lack of) athleticism/body type that dominated in the 90's on the perimeter.

It just didn't happen. You needed size/athleticism to be a scoring guard (that's an elite player) , or you'd be a facilitator , or worse a role player.

He'd be forced to use ball-screens way more , and he wouldn't be nearly as effective driving to the hoop despite having a ridiculous touch around the rim.

Iverson was really the first guy to break the mold (as an elite scorer), and no , I don't think Curry could've handled the punishment A.I took earlier in his career , nor do I think he was a good of an athlete. A.I was a freak , Curry's just not.

You can't touch people out there any more , that has benefitted Curry as much as anyone. Zone defense means nothing to a guy with his range. Zone defense hurts the big man , or the slasher, more than the shooter. It has to be man-to-man against Curry , and you have to fight through a million screens (which they don't even let you do anymore). If you switch a big on to him - you die.

In the 90's that wouldn't have been as big of an issue , because you could actually put hands on people and fight through screens. A hand-checked Curry being funnelled into the paint is not a 30 ppg guy. Not unless he's on a historically stacked team again.

Name someone from the 90s who could shoot like Steph

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Remove zone defenses from the equation and Curry could shoot 50% from 3.
Ball movement and shooting has always been the way to beat the zone, what on earth are you talking about?

Plus, if they actually called illegal screens, he would find it a lot more difficult to get 3's off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Il Mediano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad