Prospect Info: Where does Rudolf Balcers fit in the pool?

Where does Rudolf Balcers fit in the pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
OK, I'll take the opportunity to post my current Top-20

1- Drake Batherson
2- Erik Brannstrom
3- Logan Brown
----------

4- Jacob Bernard-Docker
5- Joshua Norris
6- Christian Wolanin
----------

7- Alex Formenton
8- Rudolfs Balcers
9- Vitali Abramov
10- Filip Chlapik
11- Christian Jaros
----------

12- Joel Daccord
13- Filip Gustavsson
14- Angus Crookshank
15- Maxime Lajoie
16- Max Veronneau
17- Jonny Tychonick
18- Jonathan Davidsson
19- Marcus Hogberg
----------

20- Nick Paul

That's an incredible Top-20
I would move abramov up and balcers down but yes a pretty good list of players there.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1. Brown
2. Batherson
3. Wolanin
4. Norris
5. JBD
6. Brannstrom
7. Formenton
7. Jaros
8. Chlapik
9. Hogberg
10. Gustavsson
11. Daccord
12. Lajoie
13. Veronneau
14. Paul
15. Balcers
16. Kelly
17. Rodewald
18. Tambellini
19. Englund
20. Nurmi/Crookshank

You have two #7
Forgot Abramov?
Balcers 15th?
Goalies 9th, 10th, 11th?
Rodewald is not a prospect anymore (over 25 y/o), Tambellini turns 25 in November and has a very low chance to play in the NHL as he didn't even get a call up on a rebuilding club.
No Tychonick and Davidsson? You think 16th-20th are better prospects?

I would move abramov up and balcers down but yes a pretty good list of players there.

Saw your post before you edited. The reason I have Balcers above Abramov is likelihood of reaching potential.

Balcers is a safe bet to be a top-9 forward, maybe gets higher with time and experience as he is still developing. Abramov has a higher ceiling, he could really boom but I'm a bit concerned with his size and speed combo. If he was just a bit faster/taller, he would be higher on my list, probably #4. At least, he is very shifty and strong on his skates, that's why there's hope with him and hopefully he can improve skating

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You have two #7
Forgot Abramov?
Balcers 15th?
Goalies 9th, 10th, 11th?
Rodewald is not a prospect anymore (over 25 y/o), Tambellini turns 25 in November and has a very low chance to play in the NHL as he didn't even get a call up on a rebuilding club.
No Tychonick and Davidsson? You think 16th-20th are better prospects?

Saw your post before you edited. The reason I have Balcers above Abramov is likelihood of reaching potential.

Balcers is a safe bet to be a top-9 forward, maybe gets higher with time and experience as he is still developing. Abramov has a higher ceiling, he could really boom but I'm a bit concerned with his size and speed combo. If he was just a bit faster/taller, he would be higher on my list, probably #4. At least, he is very shifty and strong on his skates, that's why there's hope with him and hopefully he can improve skating
Well I think Balcers, Abramov, Tychonick & Davidsson could end up being career AHL players who get some time in the NHL but never stick. They might make it to the NHL with another team, but I don't see it given the limited viewings we have had of some of them, I just don't think they are dynamic enough to be NHLers.

Well you know goalies it could take a while before one of them steps up, I think all three could be close to each other in potential but who knows. I also think Rodewald & Tambellini have more of a shot at being bottom line NHLers than the guys I mentioned earlier but we'll see. I've been painting all day & my body is feeling it now, not 25 any more, unfortunately. Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well I think Balcers, Abramov, Tychonick & Davidsson could end up being career AHL players who get some time in the NHL but never stick. They might make it to the NHL with another team, but I don't see it given the limited viewings we have had of some of them, I just don't think they are dynamic enough to be NHLers.

Well you know goalies it could take a while before one of them steps up, I think all three could be close to each other in potential but who knows. I also think Rodewald & Tambellini have more of a shot at being bottom line NHLers than the guys I mentioned earlier but we'll see. I've been painting all day & my body is feeling it now, not 25 any more, unfortunately. Have a nice weekend.

You still have two number 7 on your list :naughty:

Ok, it's your opinion but you realize that Davidsson almost made the Jackets at training camp? You should read that too :

1OB Summer Prospect Rankings: #5 Jonathan Davidsson

"Jonathan Davidsson in the Swedish League, was excellent [last] year," Kekalainen said. "He's got top-end NHL speed right now and he's 21 years old."

This guy looks like a good bet to be a 3rd liner.

Also, you say that Abramov isn't dynamic enough? Well, sounds weird to me cause that's his game. He's not a fast skater and is on the small side though.

Balcers has already played 32 NHL games and is only 21 y/o, doesn't look like he will be a career AHLer.

Also, Tychonick? He just got drafted and turned 19 y/o this month. It's way too early to predict that he'll be a career AHLer IMO. And he was also a 2nd round pick that was projected in the 2nd round. From the reports and videos, he doesn't seem to lack dynamism, another with excellent skating ability.

And can't consider Rodewald a prospect anymore. If not, why not consider Stefan Elliott as a prospect?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Ok, it's your opinion but you realize that Davidsson almost made the Jackets at training camp? You should read that too :

"Jonathan Davidsson in the Swedish League, was excellent [last] year," Kekalainen said. "He's got top-end NHL speed right now and he's 21 years old."

Also, you say that Abramov isn't dynamic enough? Well, sounds weird to me cause that's his game. He's not a fast skater and is on the small side though.

Balcers has already played 32 NHL games and is only 21 y/o, doesn't look like he will be a career AHLer.

Also, Tychonick? He just got drafted and turned 19 y/o this month. It's way too early to predict that he'll be a career AHLer IMO. And he was also a 2nd round pick that was projected in the 2nd round. From the reports and videos, he doesn't seem to lack dynamism, another with excellent skating ability.

And can't consider Rodewald a prospect anymore. If not, why not consider Stefan Elliott as a prospect?
If they're not 6'4 230lbs he doesn't like them, that's been established.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I remain uncertain about Balcer's ability to finish. He does everything well so he's likely to end up a good player, but if he can finish he might legit top 6 material.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

How many 3rd liners can this team have? At centre I assume that Brown & White have two positions locked down & then there is Tierny, Pageau, Chlapik, Norris & maybe Paul. Smith is also here for another season at least so potentially 8 centres vying for 4 jobs. I expect a couple of them could end up on the wing like Smith, Paul & maybe one of Chlapik or Norris or traded. Chlapik could be returned to Belleville as could Norris but they will be up sooner or later. From this group I would have Brown, White & one of Tierny or Pageau & probably Paul at centre. Where does that leave Chlapik & Norris? Probably one or the other will be moved to LW when they are NHL ready.

Let's look at LW, IMO Tkachuk & Formenton probably have two out of the four spots covered, that leaves two LW spots & there is Duclair, Balcers, Smith & maybe Paul, Chlapik or Norris. Boedker is probably gone after next season if not before & whoever they draft over the next few drafts or are in the org or they trade for that can play LW might also threaten to take a job. 8 players & 4 jobs could be a problem, but I assume everyone has their own choices as to who they would want in their lineup. Out of that lineup I would have Tkachuck, Formenton, & either Duclair or Chlapik & either Paul or Norris at LW

On the RW I assume that Batherson gets a spot & Ryan for at least a couple more yrs until he is movable or bought out. That leaves Veronneau, Davidsson & Abramov to fight over two spots & IMO they are all too small to play on the 4th line but hey that's just me. Ryan still has three more seasons before his contract ends so he will be here for a while too. From all these guys listed & I may have forgotten a couple this would be next yr's lineup but I assume that people would have different players, however, there are always contracts to consider. And let's not forget that Chlapik & Norris are coming who can play centre or LW & whoever they draft who may be NHL ready within the next couple of yrs. Who do you think those little guys are going to beat out?

To start next season:
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Paul - Brown - Veronneau
Smith - Pageau - Boedker/Balcers

After the trade dealine:
Duclair/Balcers - Tierny - Ryan
Formenton - Brown - Veronneau/Davidsson/Abramov
Smith - Paul - ???

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How many 3rd liners can this team have? At centre I assume that Brown & White have two positions locked down & then there is Tierny, Pageau, Chlapik, Norris & maybe Paul. Smith is also here for another season at least so potentially 8 centres vying for 4 jobs. I expect a couple of them could end up on the wing like Smith, Paul & maybe one of Chlapik or Norris or traded. Chlapik could be returned to Belleville as could Norris but they will be up sooner or later. From this group I would have Brown, White & one of Tierny or Pageau & probably Paul at centre. Where does that leave Chlapik & Norris? Probably one or the other will be moved to LW when they are NHL ready.

Let's look at LW, IMO Tkachuk & Formenton probably have two out of the four spots covered, that leaves two LW spots & there is Duclair, Balcers, Smith & maybe Paul, Chlapik or Norris. Boedker is probably gone after next season if not before & whoever they draft over the next few drafts or are in the org or they trade for that can play LW might also threaten to take a job. 8 players & 4 jobs could be a problem, but I assume everyone has their own choices as to who they would want in their lineup. Out of that lineup I would have Tkachuck, Formenton, & either Duclair or Chlapik & either Paul or Norris at LW

On the RW I assume that Batherson gets a spot & Ryan for at least a couple more yrs until he is movable or bought out. That leaves Veronneau, Davidsson & Abramov to fight over two spots & IMO they are all too small to play on the 4th line but hey that's just me. Ryan still has three more seasons before his contract ends so he will be here for a while too. From all these guys listed & I may have forgotten a couple this would be next yr's lineup but I assume that people would have different players, however, there are always contracts to consider. And let's not forget that Chlapik & Norris are coming who can play centre or LW & whoever they draft who may be NHL ready within the next couple of yrs. Who do you think those little guys are going to beat out?

To start next season:
Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Paul - Brown - Veronneau
Smith - Pageau - Boedker/Balcers

After the trade dealine:
Duclair/Balcers - Tierny - Ryan
Formenton - Brown - Veronneau/Davidsson/Abramov
Smith - Paul - ???

Of course there’s a massive logjam coming up. I don’t really agree with what they’ve done, trade your best talents to create a logjam down the line? I mean, it could make sense in the context of a rebuild eventually if they end up using these assets wisely but anyway, that’s another subject (I see it as purely financially motivated)

Even if Balcers ends up scoring for another team, it doesn’t matter as we are discussing his prospect value. The fact that there’s a logjam doesn’t diminish his value

Ryan, Smith and Boedker are placeholders at this point, they won’t be here much longer

I also doubt they keep both Pageau and Tierney down the line, I think one will be traded very soon (if they’re smart, they trade Tierney)

Not sure when but we could see something like this very soon :

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson (my massive skill/size line)
Formenton-Norris-White (my hell to play against line)
Balcers-Chlapik-Veronneau (my skilled secondary line)
Paul-Pageau-Davidsson (my shutdown line)

Duclair, Crookshank, Abramov, Luchuk, Kelly, Gruden, Nurmi, Klimchuk... who knows what will happen with all of them, some could beat the guys listed in my lineup. And then there will be new prospects coming from the draft (but I hope they focus on D-men this upcoming draft)

If they’re smart, they sign long term deals with keepers like Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Formenton, Wolanin, Batherson and even Jaros. Would give the team a lot of money and cap flexibility as you would get them playing under their value for a while (think Karlsson and Turris contracts). Not too sure what you have with the rest so go traditional bridge contracts with them.

Reactions: Icelevel

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I could see them bringing one of Gibbons or Maggie back also, I know they say everyone
loves Maggie in the room, not afraid to say something when needed.

After hearing Grizz''s interview a few weeks back, I assume he couldn't take Kelly's old job and help Dono, because of his contract.

Maybe we get Duchy back.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What no Balcers in the top 10. How could he?

Yeah no Balcers but more importantly... no Wolanin, no Jaros, no Abramov?
Formenton above Brown? Even JBD seems like a reach
Hogberg 6th? Sens pool is not that good if that's the case...

Anyway, it's all pretty subjective but based on what those prospects did on their route to the NHL, his ranking seems a bit odd.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What, Balcers doesn't meet the 25 or less games played criteria to be on the list because he's played 32 games?
He must be a bust.

Well didn’t see that. 25 games is a pretty low amount to call a prospect graduated. That’s why you never get any kind of consistency in these prospect lists, everyone going by their own criterias

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Of course there’s a massive logjam coming up. I don’t really agree with what they’ve done, trade your best talents to create a logjam down the line? I mean, it could make sense in the context of a rebuild eventually if they end up using these assets wisely but anyway, that’s another subject (I see it as purely financially motivated)

Even if Balcers ends up scoring for another team, it doesn’t matter as we are discussing his prospect value. The fact that there’s a logjam doesn’t diminish his value

Ryan, Smith and Boedker are placeholders at this point, they won’t be here much longer

I also doubt they keep both Pageau and Tierney down the line, I think one will be traded very soon (if they’re smart, they trade Tierney)

Not sure when but we could see something like this very soon :

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson (my massive skill/size line)
Formenton-Norris-White (my hell to play against line)
Balcers-Chlapik-Veronneau (my skilled secondary line)
Paul-Pageau-Davidsson (my shutdown line)

Duclair, Crookshank, Abramov, Luchuk, Kelly, Gruden, Nurmi, Klimchuk... who knows what will happen with all of them, some could beat the guys listed in my lineup. And then there will be new prospects coming from the draft (but I hope they focus on D-men this upcoming draft)

If they’re smart, they sign long term deals with keepers like Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Formenton, Wolanin, Batherson and even Jaros. Would give the team a lot of money and cap flexibility as you would get them playing under their value for a while (think Karlsson and Turris contracts). Not too sure what you have with the rest so go traditional bridge contracts with them.

Ryan is here for another 3 yrs & given that his offensive production continues to diminish I doubt anyone is taken him off our hands until maybe his last yr at the deadline. Smith has two more yrs & the same applies to him & Boedker should be gone after next season but until then unless they decide to make them a healthy scratch they will be in the lineup since I doubt they get bought out. I've read on here several times from different sources that nobody thinks that Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson are top six players, most seem to think they are bottom six forwards but mostly the 3rd line. IMO they are minor league players & if they can't crack this lineup on the worse team in the NHL to expect them to do better elsewhere is wishful thinking. I think every yr for the next 3 or 4 yrs they need to move on from their UFAs & replace them with the NHL ready prospects in their system now & those soon to be from the next few drafts. If they are not going to re-sign Ceci he should be moved at the draft to move up or to acquire another 1st rd pick.

I don't share your optimism with those kind of players, Veronneau could be a healthy scratch tonight against the Leafs after a pretty optimistic start to his NHL career but what is he really? He's another small soft forward just like Abramov, Balcers & Davidsson, IMO Duclair is better than all four of them but he is very inconsistent too. I'm not liking your lineup there at all & you haven't included Abramov at all so what does that mean? He can't even make the worse team in the NHL? Why would I rate him at all? Another point I would like to make is that I doubt very much that White is moved back to RW, he has shown he can play centre in this league & if he is compared to Bergeron than he should probably play centre like Bergeron, it's a much more important position & he has proven he is good at it especially with Tkachuk on his line.

I think Brown will eventually end up as the #1 centre on this team since at the moment there is no other contender IMO but who knows how long that will take. I think they should keep Tkachuk & White together since they seem to play well together & can feed off each other but they need a goal scorer on this line. Brown will need someone to go into the corners & fight along the boards to get him the puck as well & IMO it should be either Paul or more likely Formenton. I also think that over the next three drafts Ott should pick up a number of players who IMO should have the best chance of beating out those small players I wouldn't have in my lineup Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson as well as some of the guys you mentioned. I like Parker Kelly better than any of those guys & just don't think they will ever be in our lineup & maybe not even in the NHL. They remind me of a number of guys that people had high hopes for that never panned out like Sorenson, Dahlen, Prince, Connacher & the list goes on.

This would be my lineup going into next season & have the other prospects back in the AHL. I would look to move all of the UFAs next season leading up to the deadline to acquire more picks/prospects. I would also use some of the prospects we have to acquire other young players or to move up in the draft or more likely more picks.

Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Smith - Pageau (UFA) - Boedker (UFA)
Paul - Brown - Rodewald/Leason ( 2019 draft) - should be able to go to Belleville

Chabot - DeMello (UFA)
Wolanin - Jaros
Harpur/Boro (UFA) - Seider (2019 draft) - European can also go to Belleville

Anderson (UFA) - Hogberg/Condon (UFA)

After the trade deadline they should be able to promote Chlapik & the 2019 draft picks to replace whichever UFAs they are able to move. I know most don't agree with me but I just don't see those guys beating out other guys & hopefully can be used to acquire more picks or better players.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ryan is here for another 3 yrs & given that his offensive production continues to diminish I doubt anyone is taken him off our hands until maybe his last yr at the deadline. Smith has two more yrs & the same applies to him & Boedker should be gone after next season but until then unless they decide to make them a healthy scratch they will be in the lineup since I doubt they get bought out. I've read on here several times from different sources that nobody thinks that Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson are top six players, most seem to think they are bottom six forwards but mostly the 3rd line. IMO they are minor league players & if they can't crack this lineup on the worse team in the NHL to expect them to do better elsewhere is wishful thinking. I think every yr for the next 3 or 4 yrs they need to move on from their UFAs & replace them with the NHL ready prospects in their system now & those soon to be from the next few drafts. If they are not going to re-sign Ceci he should be moved at the draft to move up or to acquire another 1st rd pick.

I don't share your optimism with those kind of players, Veronneau could be a healthy scratch tonight against the Leafs after a pretty optimistic start to his NHL career but what is he really? He's another small soft forward just like Abramov, Balcers & Davidsson, IMO Duclair is better than all four of them but he is very inconsistent too. I'm not liking your lineup there at all & you haven't included Abramov at all so what does that mean? He can't even make the worse team in the NHL? Why would I rate him at all? Another point I would like to make is that I doubt very much that White is moved back to RW, he has shown he can play centre in this league & if he is compared to Bergeron than he should probably play centre like Bergeron, it's a much more important position & he has proven he is good at it especially with Tkachuk on his line.

I think Brown will eventually end up as the #1 centre on this team since at the moment there is no other contender IMO but who knows how long that will take. I think they should keep Tkachuk & White together since they seem to play well together & can feed off each other but they need a goal scorer on this line. Brown will need someone to go into the corners & fight along the boards to get him the puck as well & IMO it should be either Paul or more likely Formenton. I also think that over the next three drafts Ott should pick up a number of players who IMO should have the best chance of beating out those small players I wouldn't have in my lineup Balcers, Abramov or Davidsson as well as some of the guys you mentioned. I like Parker Kelly better than any of those guys & just don't think they will ever be in our lineup & maybe not even in the NHL. They remind me of a number of guys that people had high hopes for that never panned out like Sorenson, Dahlen, Prince, Connacher & the list goes on.

This would be my lineup going into next season & have the other prospects back in the AHL. I would look to move all of the UFAs next season leading up to the deadline to acquire more picks/prospects. I would also use some of the prospects we have to acquire other young players or to move up in the draft or more likely more picks.

Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Smith - Pageau (UFA) - Boedker (UFA)
Paul - Brown - Rodewald/Leason ( 2019 draft) - should be able to go to Belleville

Chabot - DeMello (UFA)
Wolanin - Jaros
Harpur/Boro (UFA) - Seider (2019 draft) - European can also go to Belleville

Anderson (UFA) - Hogberg/Condon (UFA)

After the trade deadline they should be able to promote Chlapik & the 2019 draft picks to replace whichever UFAs they are able to move. I know most don't agree with me but I just don't see those guys beating out other guys & hopefully can be used to acquire more picks or better players.

By that logic you're probably thinking Batherson, Brown, Brannstrom and etc are also not going to become much since they "can't even make this roster"

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What no Balcers in the top 10. How could he?

hahahaha ...... sorry ... I got carried away ... I've been painting all weekend & could be high on the fumes.

Yeah no Balcers but more importantly... no Wolanin, no Jaros, no Abramov?
Formenton above Brown? Even JBD seems like a reach
Hogberg 6th? Sens pool is not that good if that's the case...

Anyway, it's all pretty subjective but based on what those prospects did on their route to the NHL, his ranking seems a bit odd.

Humm? Another guy who doesn't think much of Balcers or Abramov & I had three goalies pretty close to each other around the ten spot too. Wolanin & Jaros could have been there but at the same time it might also indicate that Ottawa has a lot of possibilities with their prospect pool. Some people have a different view of things & don't follow what the majority say, I am a little surprised he has Crookshank so high, another LWer. Oh, did he not include anyone who had 25 games or more in the NHL? I still think they have a lot of options in the org & should have quite a few more after the next three drafts. I think they are in good shape moving forward.

By that logic you're probably thinking Batherson, Brown, Brannstrom and etc are also not going to become much since they "can't even make this roster"

I don't know where you get that, are you a fan of Balcers, Abramov & Davidsson? I've seen Balcers enough to know he isn't going to beat out Formenton or Tkachuk so there is two LW jobs that are taken next season. I doubt any of those three are going to beat out Batherson or Ryan for a RW job so that's two RW jobs gone too for next yr. Are they better than Veronneau who also plays RW? IMO Duclair is better than Balcers, Abramov & Veronneau & I would guess better than Davidsson & Crookshank too & fast. I also don't think those guys have more potential than Norris or Chlapik?

IMO they are all too small & soft to be on any kind of checking or energy line & are basically complimentary players who may add some offence to a line but most of our lines are IMO already spoken for but of course things can change quickly. They wouldn't be on my team but clearly everyone has a different opinion to what kind of players they like or want on their team. A lot of people on here don't like Smith or Tierny but I would take them both over any of Balcers, Abramov, Veronneau, Davidsson or Crookshank at this point. At the least they are better defensively & play a 200' game. Maybe they can beat out some of the guys below, but I just don't see it.

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
Paul - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Chlapik - Ryan
Smith - Pageau/Tierny - Veronneau/Balcers/Abramov/Davidsson

And who should play the 4th line given what other teams have on their 4th lines? I wouldn't have any of the small soft players playing there either. Our 4th line last night played a physical game against the Leafs & were rewarded for it. And of course this doesn't even take into consideration who they draft in the next few drafts, I expect that there should be a few players in the next few drafts that will take spots away from some of the players above including those I have mentioned.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->