Prospect Info: Where does Rudolf Balcers fit in the pool?

Where does Rudolf Balcers fit in the pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Any young forward we have that has top 6 potential is great for us.....I only wish we could have a young cant miss RHD in the AHL,as the left side looks really good with Chabot,Laj and Wolanin

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Reminds me of Sergei Samsonov, small and boxy, strong on his skates, great stick handler, not a great 200 foot player but love it when he scores

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Projected 51 point scorer? I dont see any reference to Bure. Balcers turning out to be a middle six-scoring winger is a very reasonable projection. Nobody is saying he will have multiple 50 goal seasons.
Right, again but I love it when fans over hyping and I was being sarcastic...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess your saying he sucks from your huge upper deck profile??

Ok I’m looking for a real answer. You said the poster was overhyping him and made him look like a star

I would like to know what was said that made you think like that?

Notice how I didn't fall for the flaming bait.

Last edited:

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Here..I guess it's not OVERHYPING
He’s going to be a 50-60 point guy... not a doubt in my mind

How many prospects do we have that will be better then that.

Balcers has Havlat type dangling ability

Did Omark ever preform in world competition like Balcers for Latvia this past summer.

I was high on Balcers well before the trade. I’ve watched the dude dangle 2-3 players in OT scoring game winning goals

He was 20 last year and led the Barricuda in production despite not playing with constant line mates or High end talent

Balcers is legit

Sure they do...

Balcers a 20 year old kid led his AHL team in production last year by 10 points playing with nobodies

And then proceeded to have an exceptional world championships where former Stanley Cup Winning Coach praises Balcers as a fantastic talent
Balcers Shines For Latvia At Worlds

"I followed Rudolfs basically all season, watching his videos, and he's gifted. Just look. He finished first in scoring on his AHL team. I've been in the AHL for five years. Best development league in the world.
"He's spending his time there and he's getting stronger, he's getting quicker. He's very gifted. Great shot. Great sense for offense. He has a nice confidence about himself. It's inside of him, but you can see it. You can feel it.
"It's just a matter of time, maybe a year or two, and he'll definitely be there."

"He has a nice confidence about himself," said Hartley, who has dispatched Balcers for an average of 20:26 per game -- tops among forwards and third overall for the Latvians.
"He's not that kid that thinks he's somebody else, but you can tell he's enjoying the moment. He's really taking advantage of the situation. Power play, penalty killing…we're giving him lots of ice time. We count on him and he's been unbelievable for us."

"He wants to learn," Hartley said.
"He's a good young man. I think that he's definitely an NHL player. He just has to keep improving his game away from the puck and keep working on his strength, on his speed.
"His potentials and abilities will definitely make him an NHL player.
"There's no doubt in my mind.
_____

Hey there Hartley, Micklebot thinks you’re pumping him up to much... he can’t be as good as you say

Ok I’m looking for a real answer. You said the poster was overhyping him and made him look like a star

I would like to know what was said that made you think like that?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree with Fuhr :sarcasm:, I heard Hartley totally raved about Balcers. Exciting prospect, he needs to be able to become a consistent threat game after game and then you've got a top-6 forward. It's not easy to become a good NHL player, wherever you had success before but Rudolf definitely has everything that's needed. Up to him to put it all together

If he succeeds then the return for Karlsson might be better than people think. There's a lot of IFs though, so we'll need a few years to properly assess it.

- Balcers : 21 y/o, top-6 scoring threat?
- Norris : 19 y/o, nice toolset to become a pretty solid NHL player, what's his ceiling?
- Tierney : 24 y/o, Pageau level player, maybe more productive?
- DeMelo : 25 y/o, good 3rd pairing D-man?
- 1st round pick : if the Sharks miss the playoffs once in the next 2 seasons, could end up with a relatively high pick. Good chance to get another very good prospect
- 2nd round pick : could get another good prospect, particularly when you look at our recent 2nd rounders from the last 4 drafts (Formenton, Chlapik, Dahlen, Tychonick, Gagne)
- Maybe we're lucky and the Sharks bomb their season and trade EK back to the East, giving us another 1st from the Sharks (wouldn't bank on it though)

Considering the corner the Sens paint themselves in (trading EK at the worst timing possible and as a 1-year rental with no extension in place), that's a pretty solid return. However, I will never understand why the focus was not to get the best D-man possible. We already had several good forward prospects so I would rather have a good young NHL D-man instead of Norris and Balcers.

Let me try to be more clear before some people jump on this. I'm not saying that the return was "great", I'm saying that I have no problem with the return but more with the WAY they traded Karlsson : worst timing (deadline before training camp) + UFA status (didn't wait to get a team he'd agree to sign an extension with).

Trade deadline would have been a better timing as teams have injuries and/or think they could go all the way, so a bidding war could ensue. Work all season to find teams that EK would agree to extend with. In the meantime, you have Karlsson helping your team being more competitive in a year where you don't have your own first.

Why force that trade Melnyk? Why force a rebuild so much too? I know money but the $ saved could have been made back just in tickets as we could have a pretty exciting team with EK instead of DeMelo. Chabot, Lajoie, Tkachuk + the vets.

Team's don't like to start the season with major distractions, and for good reason. EK was not going to get a better haul at the deadline as a rental. As a rental the summer was his highest value because the team acquiring him would have a whole season with his talent, and a whole season to woo him into to signing a long term deal.

On the flip side, our team would not be able to play the way they are with EK in the lineup, they just wouldn't as the offence always ran through EK. I personally don't miss him at all right now, and the guys we have playing that we got in the deal for him have been surprisingly good so far.

I'm hoping the Sharks miss the playoffs so we get a better pick, but beyond that I don't care much.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Team's don't like to start the season with major distractions, and for good reason. EK was not going to get a better haul at the deadline as a rental. As a rental the summer was his highest value because the team acquiring him would have a whole season with his talent, and a whole season to woo him into to signing a long term deal.

On the flip side, our team would not be able to play the way they are with EK in the lineup, they just wouldn't as the offence always ran through EK. I personally don't miss him at all right now, and the guys we have playing that we got in the deal for him have been surprisingly good so far.

I'm hoping the Sharks miss the playoffs so we get a better pick, but beyond that I don't care much.

You could have least said .. "Balcers is off to a good start in Belleville as well" just to kind of tie it into the thread

sajmae

Jun 3, 2010
Czech Republic
So because one Europe kid failed... Balcers will fail?

I just wouldn' t put too much stock into WHC. I remember certain 19yo Swede having an amazing WHC in 2010, being voted into the AllStar team alongside with Datsyuk and Malkin and I was sure he was going to be a star in NHL. He is now a bottom 6 player for the Sens, I am sure you can guess his name.

It would be nice to hit the jackpot with Balcers but scoring even 50points in the NHL is not an easy thing to do.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I was high on Balcers well before the trade... I think he’s going to be a gem, already beginning to see his offensive flair in the AHL

Stone
AHL 20: 54-15-23-38
AHL 21: 37-15-26-41

Balcers
AHL 20: 67-23-25-48
AHL 21: 3-3-0-3

Reactions: coladin

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
I was high on Balcers well before the trade... I think he’s going to be a gem, already beginning to see his offensive flair in the AHL

Stone
AHL 20: 54-15-23-38
AHL 21: 37-15-26-41

Balcers
AHL 20: 67-23-25-48
AHL 21: 3-3-0-3
Lol gem and I love the fact you comparing him to Stone

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Expecting a 50 point forward... overhyping lol
So he’s basically a sure fire duchene or schiefele? That’s what a 50-60pt player is in today’s NHL. If he was a sure fire guy like that he’d have been the only player coming back for an EK rental

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So he’s basically a sure fire duchene or schiefele? That’s what a 50-60pt player is in today’s NHL. If he was a sure fire guy like that he’d have been the only player coming back for an EK rental

Schiefele is a PPG player... his last 143GP 145Pts

That’s what Duchene is supposed to be too... he has the talent

Reactions: Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think it's going to be a while before most posters here really know 1st hand what we have or don't have in Balcers.

The problem is, anybody who was actually watching him in the AHL last year on a regular enough basis to have a good read on him probably wasn't watching our players. I don't know if there's a poster here who was watching enough of both our prospect pool, and the Barracudas to really have a true informed opinion about Balcers.

On paper, he looks like a good addition, but there have been plenty of players who have had big AHL seasons at his age and have failed to make the jump.

I liked what I saw from his game in the pre-season, and I think Dorion's description of him as being a player who goes after pucks (might have the wording off, paraphrasing...) is appropriate given what I saw.

If he turns out as a middle 6 30-40 point scorer, that's a win in my book. If we get a true 2nd liner or better out of him, that'll be huge for our rebuild.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Well, maybe I'm wrong, maybe EK wouldn't have returned more at the deadline, maybe there was in fact NO TEAM that EK would extend with. Maybe he absolutely wants to test the UFA market.

And yes, any Sens fan should pray that the Sharks miss the playoffs this year (or next if not). Getting a 1-16th OA pick would be really awesome, and who knows, could end up high.

Here..I guess it's not OVERHYPING

That's not how I see it. The poster gave his personal scouting report. What's wrong being high on certain prospects?

He said he is very confident that Balcers can be a 50-60 pts forwards? It's obviously good but nothing outrageous. Forwards have done it 278 times (over 50 pts) in the last 3 seasons (93 times per season on average). Overhyping would have been saying Balcers WILL BE a +70 pts forward

He also said Balcers has Havlat type dangling ability. It's high praise but it's just an observation based on skill level. Have you watched both close enough? What's your opinion on this?

What else did he say? That Balcers was 20 last year and led the Barricuda in production despite not playing with constant line mates or High end talent? Because that's fact. That he is legit? Again, this opinion, don't see where this is overhyping.

Or when he showed what Bob Hartley thinks about Balcers? Ok so Hartley has been overhyping? It wasn't the poster doing it but somebody who is IN the hockey world.

Lol gem and I love the fact you comparing him to Stone

Uh... Did he say anything relative to Stone? He just listed their AHL stats...

Schiefele is a 50-60 pts player? He is an absolute beast, one of my favorite players.

Since 2015-16, out of forwards who played at least 50% of their team's games (123), Mark is 10th in PPG (0.97) behind McDavid, Malkin, Crosby, Kane, Kucherov, Marchand, Wheeler, Stamkos and Benn. He is pretty much among the Elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->