Where Does Lupul Stand?

Durkin67

Can someone tell me why Calgary would trade Monahan? Are you guys serious?

The wording of your question suggests that it is a probability as opposed to a possibility. Subtle but significant difference, and theres no way to answer your question directly without looking foolish.

My one singular contention has been that it may be POSSIBLE to have a conversation about a player who nets out as a really good 2C with leadership potential. Kadri is arguably more skilled, and you dont hear too many calling him untradeable.

Curious as to why so many seem to believe Monahan is the Flames' version of Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin. He's not that kind of player. If Nonis or any other GM can address some of Calgary's pressing needs like leadership and young offensive D, the Flames may be inclined to listen. They'd be dealing from a position of strength as the asking price would be considerable, they have cap to burn, and they have lots of young talent at forward positions.

With the multitude of high end forward prospects CGY has coming through the ranks, it is POSSIBLE that Burke may contemplate parlaying some of those assets into solutions to a glaring hole in their defense pipeline.

Luke Schenn for JvR is absolutely laughable in hindsight, but PHI attempted to deal from a position of strength ( Brayden Schenn, Simmonds, Giroux, etc.) to fill a hole left by Chris Pronger's absence.

Theoretically, it t made sense to unite the Schenns and fill a need. That it didn't pan out is another story.

Last edited by a moderator:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
No that's insane.

Calgary is not looking right now like a top 10 pick and I think Gardiner = CGY 1st as things stand right now.

Monahan <<<< Kessel

So you're massively getting sodomized trading Kessel AND Gardiner for Monahan and a 1st.

It would fit well with our age group though. It would be a top 10 pick for sure despite how they are playing now.

Also I think getting a 19 or 20 year old #1 Center and a first round pick from one of the weaker teams in the NHL is pretty good value. Maybe we are slightly overpaying but I dont think its a fleecing.

To get a core of Monahan, JVR, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Percy, Bernier is pretty damn good. They are all young, talented players.

We just wheel out Lupul after that for another first round pick or real good prospect and try and move Dion and we easily slot into a bottom 5 pick in the draft and have double the chances of landing McDavid. Just think if either the Leafs or Flames end up in the bottom 3 and we can land Barzal or by some streak of luck we get McDavid or Eichel and still have another pick soon after. In 2-3 years our team could be deadly. If we cant become a guaranteed playoff team in the next 2 seasons we need to seriously consider dealing Kessel, getting a pick and a big 20 year old #1 center for him as well as a pick in one of the deepest drafts cant be undervalued.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Prime candidate for a trade, that Toffoli for Lupul trade would've been amazing! too bad it fell through.

2015 1st+b prospect from Pitty, Anaheim or LA(or another contender) for Lupul would be huge.

this is the draft where you can still get a very good player late in the draft, think 2003 draft.

Can I have the where what when who why how on this please?

Durkin67

It would fit well with our age group though. It would be a top 10 pick for sure despite how they are playing now.

Also I think getting a 19 or 20 year old #1 Center and a first round pick from one of the weaker teams in the NHL is pretty good value. Maybe we are slightly overpaying but I dont think its a fleecing.

To get a core of Monahan, JVR, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Percy, Bernier is pretty damn good. They are all young, talented players.

We just wheel out Lupul after that for another first round pick or real good prospect and try and move Dion and we easily slot into a bottom 5 pick in the draft and have double the chances of landing McDavid. Just think if either the Leafs or Flames end up in the bottom 3 and we can land Barzal or by some streak of luck we get McDavid or Eichel and still have another pick soon after. In 2-3 years our team could be deadly. If we cant become a guaranteed playoff team in the next 2 seasons we need to seriously consider dealing Kessel, getting a pick and a big 20 year old #1 center for him as well as a pick in one of the deepest drafts cant be undervalued.

I am not sure Id even think of trading Kessel before it became clear as to what Stamkos may be inclined to do. If TBL believe they will lose him to free agency, I would move heaven and earth to get him in a Leafs uni, either with or without Kessel. Im pretty sure TBL would prefer Kessel to losing Stammer for nothing.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I am not sure Id even think of trading Kessel before it became clear as to what Stamkos may be inclined to do. If TBL believe they will lose him to free agency, I would move heaven and earth to get him in a Leafs uni, either with or without Kessel. Im pretty sure TBL would prefer Kessel to losing Stammer for nothing.

Actually, this is a very good point. I totally forgot about Stamkos. I actually an inclined to agree with this statement. Although I think if we are to move Kessel for Stamkos that isn't the best plan for us. I would want them playing together and would give up younger talent or draft picks instead.

The potential of having them play together is what makes me want to hold onto Kessel, not having him as bait to bring him here. I think Stamkos doesn't come here unless he feels we can win with him and if we don't have Kessel the likelihood of us winning drops significantly.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Actually, this is a very good point. I totally forgot about Stamkos. I actually an inclined to agree with this statement. Although I think if we are to move Kessel for Stamkos that isn't the best plan for us. I would want them playing together and would give up younger talent or draft picks instead.

The potential of having them play together is what makes me want to hold onto Kessel, not having him as bait to bring him here. I think Stamkos doesn't come here unless he feels we can win with him and if we don't have Kessel the likelihood of us winning drops significantly.

as cool as it would be to see Kessel and Stamkos on a line it wouldnt be beneficial to the team, they're both elite goal scorers what we need is a good two-way center with some good play-making ability that wouldnt take an 8M+ cap hit

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
as cool as it would be to see Kessel and Stamkos on a line it wouldnt be beneficial to the team, they're both elite goal scorers what we need is a good two-way center with some good play-making ability that wouldnt take an 8M+ cap hit

Kessel and Stamkos on a line wouldn't be beneficial to the team? :help:

A) They wouldn't have to necessarily play on the same line. You could keep Bozak with Kessel and have Stamkos on another scoring line (JVR and Nylander anyone?)
B) Stamkos is probably a 10 - 12 Million guy when hits free agency and considering he's undeniably at least a top 5 player in the league right in the middle of his prime years he's WELL worth it. Better of giving him 15% of your cap and watch him score 50 + every year than taking a risk with lesser players.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I have to laugh when people criticize picking up Lupul.

He cost us nothing. We spent nothing to get FB. We turned that into a solid top 6 (albeit one who misses some games) and a potential top 4 in Gardiner.

People like to talk about asset management. This was a positive one.

Durkin67

I like the idea of Kessel and Stamkos as well, but if its an either/or, it's Stamkos for me, all day long.

Stamkos with JvR and possibly Nylander would be a dynamic line in a year. I think the attraction for Stamkos is the chance to be the cornerstone of the franchise he grew up with.

Hoctalk*

Nov 7, 2014
Lupul has the wheels no doubt, now let's see if he has any gas left in his tank

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I have to laugh when people criticize picking up Lupul.

He cost us nothing. We spent nothing to get FB. We turned that into a solid top 6 (albeit one who misses some games) and a potential top 4 in Gardiner.

People like to talk about asset management. This was a positive one.

I agree with what The CyNick wrote.

The only downside was the Maple Leafs not recognizing to sell Lupul at the trade deadline before he hit UFA status at a time when his value was highest.

The big mistake was giving Lupul $5.25 million per year.

As soon as that signing was announced I knew that would come back to haunt the Leafs. Cap room is part of asset management and this is where the Leafs failed to capitalize both on assets coming to the Leafs by trading away Lupul for younger players/picks. This could have saved the Leafs at least $4.25 million on the salary cap or more through the trade that should have happened before Lupul hit UFA status.

Another lesson learned in the big wheel of ML$&E.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Lupul is not a guy i'd be moving unless its a clear upgrade. If we are out of it by the trade deadline i would move out the guys that aren't coming back like Santorelli, Franson, Winnik and play kids like Leivo, Percy, etc.

Lupul has been a good guy for the team, and with the way contracts are going, his 5 million is looking like a good deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->