Where does Kent "Magic Man" Nilsson rank all-time in pure skill?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I never got the chance to see him play, but reading through old issues of The Hockey News, it sounds like he was extremely talented. He sounds exactly like Alex Kovalev, all the talent in the world, but extremely inconsistent.

Wayne Gretzky apparently stated that he wished he had Nilsson's talent level and after acquiring him, Lou Nanne stated that there should be an asterisk beside his name for most "bad" seasons with 100 points.

So, for those who saw him play...where would you rank him in terms of pure skill/talent?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Out of this world talent and way more hockey sense than Kovalev.

However, he mailed it in way too often, and preferred the easier European schedules and travel.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Out of this world talent and way more hockey sense than Kovalev.

However, he mailed it in way too often, and preferred the easier European schedules and travel.

About it sums it up imo.
Had Lemieux level talent, Klima like drive and liked getting hit or going in a corner about as much as Craig Janney.
About the only time Nilsson spent time in his own zone was if there was a faceoff there heh.

When he had the puck though....

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
The Oilers 1987 roster was just ridiculous. All of their core players plus Nilsson and Ruotsalainen. :amazed:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Somewhere in the top 10

There is a story that once in 1987 Messier pinned Nilsson up against the wall in the Oiler dressing room urging him to show more heart on the ice. I guess it worked, the Oilers won the Cup but I often wonder how true that story is. Nilsson took one of the best chops to the back of the legs (for no reason) by Hextall in the 1987 final though so maybe Messier laid off of him after that haha......

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He probably had more flat out skill than at least half and maybe 2/3 of all players in the HHOF.

Too bad his compete level and desire were very pedestrian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->