Speculation: Where does Holtby next?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They need to get rid of Koskinen’s backup salary of $4.5M. I merely was just suggesting oilers would be a good spot for him. Close to home and a team who’s in compete now mode. Them or sharks make the most sense to me, is all. Whether it happens or not is another thing.
Oh i'm not disagreeing with you, If Holland can move Koskinen then i definitely agree that Holtby would be a great fit with the Oilers But in reality Koskinen is a backup making starter money doubt too many team are interested in that. one of Chiarelli's worse contracts

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
CAR should be very interested if he makes it to UFA and they haven’t already made a move for a #1G.

Reactions: Morrison

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he goes to NJ, they risk losing one of Holtby/Blackwood in the expansion draft or having to work out a deal with Seattle to protect both of them.

That's what makes this a difficult time for him to be heading to UFA. Best bet is a team that doesn't have a younger goalie they would also need to protect.

Nashville could certainly use him, though both Rinne and Saros are still under contract next season.

If Holtby can't find a long-term contract he likes (like Lehner struggled to do), I would certainly be in favor of NJ overpaying him on a 1-year deal (like they did with Simmonds this year), which would take him to UFA again after the expansion draft and open up his options. Highly doubt it comes to that though.

Would have to think any long-term deal Holtby signs would also come with a NMC to protect him against the expansion draft.

I could see Buffalo being a fit.

If NJD gets Holtby for free, they come ahead losing Blackwood to expansion. It protects them from losing an F or D, and they have a goalie anyways who they have up nothing but cap space for. It would be irrational for them not to sign Holtby for that reason. If the believe Blackwood will be better than Holtby soon, that is a different story...

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
CAR should be very interested if he makes it to UFA and they haven’t already made a move for a #1G.
I'd be reluctant to give him more than 1-2 year deal given his play this year and given how he has been trending down the last 3 years. If he takes a one year, prove it deal like Lehner did with the Hawks, that would be nice. But I'm sure some team will be desperate and give him a bigger deal, maybe even us unfortunately.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If NJD gets Holtby for free, they come ahead losing Blackwood to expansion. It protects them from losing an F or D, and they have a goalie anyways who they have up nothing but cap space for. It would be irrational for them not to sign Holtby for that reason. If the believe Blackwood will be better than Holtby soon, that is a different story...
I could not disagree more. Look at Holtby's last 3 years playing on a MUCH better Washington team. Looks like Blackwood is playing better this year and he is going into his prime while Holtby is at the age goalies decline.

The Devils already have one goalie over 30 with a lousy contract. Not sure why they would want another.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With what cap space? Holtby minimal will want either $7.5m to $8.0m per over at least 5 seasons.

Unless he takes a pay cut since he knows the goalie UFA market is volatile as hell.

Every player wants to maximize their value but teams are wary of committing big $$$ long term to goalies these days (aside from a select few).

I will say, while Holtby has struggled this year his playoff stats are arguably the best of his era.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Devils don't really have to worry about losing a player more valuable than Blackwood on F/D in the expansion draft.

I also can't see them taking the risk of being saddled with another 30+ year old goalie with declining stats on a long-term contract after what they've been through with Schneider and considering how good Blackwood has looked so far early in his career. Holtby will be 31 at the start of next season compared to Blackwood at 23 and Blackwood is putting up better stats this season on a worse team. I don't see any reasonable scenario where they would sign Holtby and expose Blackwood.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Sharks still have Jones for 4 more season at $5.75 million possibly add Holtby at either $6 million or $7 million per for 5 years or so. That's too much good luck moving that Jones contract. Holtby to the Sharks makes no sense possibly Carolina, Buffalo or New Jersey make more sense then San Jose.

Oh, thought he only had two more seasons on that contract. That will be extremely tough but my guess is the Sharks are going to try and move on from Jones in one way or another. Don’t think they want to endure another season with him as their starter.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think any team will give him more than $6 million per season and no more than 3 years. No GM is gonna pay him and commit long term just for his resume in the playoffs. Holtby has to perform much better in the regular season to deserve a long term contract. Bobrovsky's large contract and the fact that his numbers in his first year with the Panthers are not good, should be a buyers beware in regard to any GM looking to sign Holtby.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Edmonton, San Jose or Buffalo, I could see maybe a trade to Edmonton where conditional picks are sent to the Capitals.

Edmonton:
Holtby

Washington:
Smith/Koskinen
Puljujarvi
Conditional 1st 2020 (Given to Washington if Edmonton makes the playoffs, otherwise turns into 2nd 2020)
Conditional 2nd 2020 (Turns into first if Holtby signs extension with Oilers and Edmonton misses in 2020)

But I do see the Caps keeping him for the playoffs. The decision would've been easier if two additional years were on Holtby's contract.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Carolina makes sense.. solid young team....
Not sure on that. Mrazek/Reimer have another year after this one. Their salaries combined are $6.5 million. I don't see the Canes giving like $6 million to Holtby unless they think he will be their next Cam Ward. Frankly I don't think Holtby would sign with the Canes because they are a Caps division rival. Holtby will be leaving the Caps, but deep down he will still have a loyalty to the Caps. Canes will probably take their chances with Mrazek/Reimer for another year and allocate their cap money in other areas to improve the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->