Speculation: Where does Holtby next?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So it appears Holtby is in his last year in Washington with Samsonov coming in a looking like a #1.

So where will Holtby end up in July?

Buffalo?, Edmonton? Calgary? How sold is Vancouver on Demko? Does Stevie Y take a page from Lou's book and try to shore up his goaltending.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Dark horse candidate with cap space...devils

If he goes to NJ, they risk losing one of Holtby/Blackwood in the expansion draft or having to work out a deal with Seattle to protect both of them.

That's what makes this a difficult time for him to be heading to UFA. Best bet is a team that doesn't have a younger goalie they would also need to protect.

Nashville could certainly use him, though both Rinne and Saros are still under contract next season.

If Holtby can't find a long-term contract he likes (like Lehner struggled to do), I would certainly be in favor of NJ overpaying him on a 1-year deal (like they did with Simmonds this year), which would take him to UFA again after the expansion draft and open up his options. Highly doubt it comes to that though.

Would have to think any long-term deal Holtby signs would also come with a NMC to protect him against the expansion draft.

I could see Buffalo being a fit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think right now that there is too much up in the air. If Holtby had a good year, I would agree he was out based on salary cap. His performance so far has kind of killed his value. Samsonov for his part has looked great in managed starts but presented with the opportunity to earn the starting job has not performed well against two division rivals.

I think a lot is still up in the air.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'll be very curious what happens. I dunno if I'd be confident handing over the complete #1 spot to Samsonov yet... but i dont see him being very happy waiting multiple years to becoming #1 if Holtby resigns.

Unless they let Holtby walk and then sign/acquire another cheaper goalie and him/Samsonov do a 1a/1b type thing

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I'll be very curious what happens. I dunno if I'd be confident handing over the complete #1 spot to Samsonov yet... but i dont see him being very happy waiting multiple years to becoming #1 if Holtby resigns.

Unless they let Holtby walk and then sign/acquire another cheaper goalie and him/Samsonov do a 1a/1b type thing

Even with not being confident in Samsonov is the case, it appears to me (Wild fan) that there is no possible way that they can afford Holtby. Backstrom's increase kicks in next season, 3 RFAs to deal with and the only UFA is Gudas @ $2.345M.

Maybe there are some pieces around they can move to shed cap but I don't know enough about that so I will digress to the Caps fan base on that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
There’s no way he gets that much IMO. He has been iffy at best this season. If someone gives him something starting with a $7+ they are crazy.
If the cap increases to say $83.5 million Edmonton has about $15.5 to sign like 10 more players after the Nurse signing. Even if Holtby agreed to say 5 x 6 that still only leaves the Oilers with about $9 million to sign 9 more players. Good luck with that.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If the cap increases to say $83.5 million Edmonton has about $15.5 to sign like 10 more players after the Nurse signing. Even if Holtby agreed to say 5 x 6 that still only leaves the Oilers with about $9 million to sign 9 more players. Good luck with that.
They need to get rid of Koskinen’s backup salary of $4.5M. I merely was just suggesting oilers would be a good spot for him. Close to home and a team who’s in compete now mode. Them or sharks make the most sense to me, is all. Whether it happens or not is another thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad