Speculation: Where does Gudas go, and what does he get?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Larsson’s one of the most physical Dman in the league.

Larsson throws a lot of hits, but he's not intimidating like Gudas. Gudas is terrifying and can punch faces, something Larsson is not and does not do. There's a lot of value in a guy that can intimidate and play.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Here's how I see it. Larsson and Gudas is like comparing Hornqvist and Tom Wilson.
It's very apparent you know nothing about Larsson, which is fine, but why pretend you do? In saying that, feel free to keep deluding yourself into believing you do. Based on some comments you made on another proposal I'm guessing you either don't watch the West or are very unknowledgeable about hockey in general. Not sure which but I'd suggest some humility instead of pretending to be an expert and telling other fanbases whats up. Kind of makes you look foolish.

Reactions: izzy and 2Pair

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's very apparent you know nothing about Larsson, which is fine, but why pretend you do? In saying that, feel free to keep deluding yourself into believing you do. Based on some comments you made on another proposal I'm guessing you either don't watch the West or are very unknowledgeable about hockey in general. Not sure which but I'd suggest some humility instead of pretending to be an expert and telling other fanbases whats up. Kind of makes you look foolish.

I’m based in the Pacific and watch plenty of Edmonton games. Comparing Larsson and Gudas as similar play is certainly something.

Maybe don’t take things so personally. I’d prefer Larsson as a defenseman on my team as anyone would, but their styles are very different.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Larsson throws a lot of hits, but he's not intimidating like Gudas. Gudas is terrifying and can punch faces, something Larsson is not and does not do. There's a lot of value in a guy that can intimidate and play.

We know, we've got an even more intimidating player in Nurse. The reality is that Larsson can and will fight if needed but with a glut of guys who do that already it's really not that needed. I'd rather my top 4 D be on the ice than in the box which is why Nurse doesn't fight too much either and instead Kassian and Kharia are expected to more often.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I’m based in the Pacific and watch plenty of Edmonton games. Comparing Larsson and Gudas as similar play is certainly something.

Maybe don’t take things so personally. I’d prefer Larsson as a defenseman, but their styles are very different.

Im not taking anything personally i just find your commentary and insistence of how true it is odd when i know for a fact it's poor advice.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I would suggest you’ve never seen Gudas play if you think him and Larsson play a similar game.
So why when i asked you to describe him did you literally describe what 99% of Oiler fans would descibe Larsson as? Please describe Larsson or tell me what's so distinguishing? Is it just that Gudas is a better fighter? Because in 2020 that doesn't matter so much and the Oilers don't need that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So why when i asked you to describe him did you literally describe what 99% of Oiler fans would descibe Larsson as? Please describe Larsson or tell me what's so distinguishing? Is it just that Gudas is a better fighter? Because in 2020 that doesn't matter so much and the Oilers don't need that.

You seem to be taking this as a Gudas plays a better or more useful role. That isn’t what I am signing.

Like I said the best comparison is the difference between a player like Hornqvist and a player like Wilson. Both are physical, but one does it within the realm of play and one is much different.

Or better yet, if you want a defensive comparison Larsson is more comparable to a player like Orpik versus Gudas.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Gudas hardly fights. Over the course of his career it averages to about 2 a season. There were a lot of times on the Flyers that he wouldn’t answer the bell when playing on the edge.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
So you envision him taking a large salary cut, but not doing that to stay with a recent Cup champion, he takes that major rollback to join the Maple Leafs instead?

I don't envision Gudas doing anything. My opinion may be construed as "if I were GM". If someone else wants to spend their limited cap space to overpay Radko Gudas, I will accept their consolation prize in lieu of signing him for a tenable offer.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
You seem to be taking this as a Gudas plays a better or more useful role. That isn’t what I am signing.

Like I said the best comparison is the difference between a player like Hornqvist and a player like Wilson. Both are physical, but one does it within the realm of play and one is much different.

Or better yet, if you want a defensive comparison Larsson is more comparable to a player like Orpik versus Gudas.

You're making unnecessary assumptions, I'm not taking it in anyway. I'm asking simple questions, instead of assuming my thoughts why dont you just answer them. I know what game you think Gudas plays so please tell me what kind of game does Larsson play? And tell me what physical abilities do you think are so divergant to use the example you keep pushing? Wilson to Hornqvist is in no way a reasonable comparable example. Larsson is big and one of the most physical players in the NHL the example you are using is comparing a big guy to a small guy and two players who score in vastly different ways. This would be more like comparing Wilson and Kassian.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're making unnecessary assumptions, I'm not taking it in anyway. I'm asking simple questions, instead of assuming my thoughts why dont you just answer them. I know what game you think Gudas plays so please tell me what kind of game does Larsson play? And tell me what physical abilities do you think are so divergant to use the example you keep pushing? Wilson to Hornqvist is in no way a reasonable comparable example. Larsson is big and one of the most physical players in the NHL the example you are using is comparing a big guy to a small guy and two players who score in vastly different ways. This would be more like comparing Wilson and Kassian.

No. Because Wilson and Kassian play the same game.

Larsson and Hornqvist play a hard nosed game, but they do not play a borderline game like Wilson and Gudas. Totally different assets.

Reactions: kevrondl

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Nobody is afraid of Larsson lol, players don't have their head on a swivel knowing that he could end their career if they're not careful. Throwing consistent normal hits =/= throwing jumping headshots at random. Same way that guys like Kadri and Wilson aren't physical the same way that a generic 3rd liner who racks up hits on dump and chase forechecks is.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Larsson and Hornqvist play a hard nosed game, but they do not play a borderline game like Wilson and Gudas. Totally different assets.

Just answer the question. How would you describe Larsson?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Nobody is afraid of Larsson lol, players don't have their head on a swivel knowing that he could end their career if they're not careful. Throwing consistent normal hits =/= throwing jumping headshots at random. Same way that guys like Kadri and Wilson aren't physical the same way that a generic 3rd liner who racks up hits on dump and chase forechecks is.

So the only difference is Gudas is more dirty and fights better? I'd agree with that, still pretty similar. They obviously aren't EXACTLY the same but they're clearly very comparable players. Larsson is hard to play against and he consistently dings guys up. I think you think he's more innocent than he is.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Wilson is a significantly better player offensively. They play similar games but like Gudas and Larsson aren't exactly the same. No two players are, that's my point. Larsson and Gudas play very comparable games, that's why your description of Gudas fit Larsson to a tee. Go ahead go on the Oilers board and ask if it describes Larsson, I'd be shocked if you had a single person suggest otherwise. If your description of Gudas matches Larsson to a tee how are they not comparable? It makes no sense.

Reactions: The Nuge

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So the only difference is Gudas is more dirty and fights better? I'd agree with that, still pretty similar. They obviously aren't EXACTLY the same but they're clearly very comparable players. Larsson is hard to play against and he consistently dings guys up. I think you think he's more innocent than he is.

The bigger difference is how the other team plays when Gudas/Wilson is on the ice vs when Larsson/Hornqvist is on the ice. I get that Larsson will throw elbows in the corners and make playing against him an unpleasant experience, but that's different than being worried that you might wake up in a hospital if you have your head down at the wrong time.

The way I see it is that players know where "the line" is for how hard they're allowed to go into a hit. Players like Larsson set their limit of what they're willing to regularly do right at (or just barely over) "the line", sometimes they'll approach it or even accidentally cross it, but generally they average out well below the line. Players like Gudas set their limit of what they're willing to do well past the line and generally their play will average out right at the line. They'll make borderline hits that are technically "clean" regularly, but that comes at the cost of making hits that are obviously too far and getting suspended. Larsson goes at the speed limit sometimes, Gudas' average speed is the speed limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Hornqvist and Larsson don't have to answer for their play. Gudas does. So does Wilson. So does Kassian.

They are both defensive defenseman that can skate and have solid puck moving ability. That doesn't really make them comparable IMO.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I mean what I said, he'd be a start but he's not enough. Now now if you were to swing a trade for say David, Savard, or Adam Larsson, or Josh Manson, or Risto, or somebody else and THEN signed Gudas that's different because then you have upgraded 2 pairs byt Gudas by himself isn't enough you need that 2nd guy.

It's not easy but it is doable because the Leafs have enough depth at forward that they can send out a couple guys and not even really suffer.

The Leafs' could use Gudas if they don't fix their D problems at the top. If they do fix their D at the top then they probably can't afford Gudas.

I generally support the idea of top-3, bottom-3 and spares for D.

The Leafs' have two top-3 D in Rielly and Muzzin
The Leafs' have enough bottom-3 D with some mixture of Dermott, Holl, Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren.
The Leafs' have a couple spares in Rosen and Marincin.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs' could use Gudas if they don't fix their D problems at the top. If they do fix their D at the top then they probably can't afford Gudas.

I generally support the idea of top-3, bottom-3 and spares for D.

The Leafs' have two top-3 D in Rielly and Muzzin
The Leafs' have enough bottom-3 D with some mixture of Dermott, Holl, Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren.
The Leafs' have a couple spares in Rosen and Marincin.

It's not easy but like I said the Leafs have enough depth at forward that they can trade a couple guys and not even really suffer from it.

It's not easy but it is possible that they could bring in a top 4 D and Gudas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad