Friedman: Duchene Mega-Thread Pt. 1 - Ottawa fielding offers, NSH & CBJ interested; Duchene sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think it's pretty clear this guy is going to be dealt as a rental, so the talk of "not being able to sign him" is moot. This guy has the same agent as Tavares and has been pretty open about that process being intriguing to him. Now that he is a few months away from Free Agency I think the idea of a sign and trade is a pipe dream.

Bidding likely starts at a 1st round pick, your teams 3rd/4th best prospect and a low level roster player on an expiring contract. Anything more than that would be a bonus, anything less than that would be an atrocity on Dorion's behalf.

Prepare to be disappointed my friend.

Reactions: mflo77

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would love to have him at 2C in NJ this summer

time to start using that abundance of cap space to overpay for players

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Nothing. Why would we be interested?

Seriously? All you guys have been asking for is a 1C, if you could get him and sign him especially in the position your in now it would be golden.

Why wouldn't you want him?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The Habs have a developing #1 in KTK and Duchene has never performed in a pressure situation except in a sheltered role (Olympics); additionally, Montréal would not give anything of substance for Duchene. Columbus might be likely, but again not sure they want to give anything for someone who isn't exactly a playoff performer, he still has to round that part of his game.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Seriously? All you guys have been asking for is a 1C, if you could get him and sign him especially in the position your in now it would be golden.

Why wouldn't you want him?

Because there is a large pool of UFA forwards and Habs are likely to sign one for free. Our assets would be better use to trade for a top 2 or 3 LHD.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This doesn't sound like the guy we've seen for the last calendar year in Ottawa. I understand the optics of him going from one struggling team straight to another team that took a nosedive. Strictly looking at his on-ice play though he's absolutely been a legitimate #1 Center for the Senators. In an ideal world the Senators keep him (I'm not sure you'll find a single Sens fan who disagrees either) but we also know the realities of the situation.

I'm not trying to change your mind on him, but your post sounds like someone who has been reading about him on here and not actually watching his play on the ice. I don't blame you though, I wouldn't watch the Sens if I could avoid it.
And you would be wrong. We played against the Duchene/Avs for years in the Central, and have a fierce rivalry. I have probably seen Duchene play more games than you have. Wild fans were hyper aware of Duchene and Mackinnon when they used to come in and terrify us with their speed and skill. Then they both, but particularly Duchene, had a couple of years where he was not quite a non entity, but certainly not anything like he was earlier on in his career. We would play games against the Avs and I could barely recall a thing that Duchene did.

Maybe Roy just freaked Duchene out. He was kind of a nutjob. Or it could be that Duchene is just turning it on in a contract year.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Personally I think there is a chance he signs in Ottawa still. However, if he is dealt he is going to a place in the West. I'd see him going to Minny, Anaheim or St. Louis

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
And you would be wrong. We played against the Duchene/Avs for years in the Central, and have a fierce rivalry. I have probably seen Duchene play more games than you have. Wild fans were hyper aware of Duchene and Mackinnon when they used to come in and terrify us with their speed and skill. Then they both, but particularly Duchene, had a couple of years where he was not quite a non entity, but certainly not anything like he was earlier on in his career. We would play games against the Avs and I could barely recall a thing that Duchene did.

Maybe Roy just freaked Duchene out. He was kind of a nutjob. Or it could be that Duchene is just turning it on in a contract year.
Duchene has consistency issues and we all know that.
I think what teams are banking on if they trade for him is if he could have his good stretch during the playoffs. Imo when he’s on I think he’s pretty damn near a top 10 forward in the league. He dominates a game like only a few others can. The problem is that when he’s not he’s more of an average first line complementary guy, which isn’t bad but not something you would want from your 1st line center and can leave you frustrated

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe Penguins? I'm not familiar with their prospect pool. But maybe a 1st, Jarry, and Hagelin? Perhaps Pens can take Condon too to add value, they can bury him next year.

The Sens can flip Hagelin for another pick, and get a goalie in Jarry to try to see if he can become a starter

Edit: forgot they moved Hagelin

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think it's pretty clear this guy is going to be dealt as a rental, so the talk of "not being able to sign him" is moot. This guy has the same agent as Tavares and has been pretty open about that process being intriguing to him. Now that he is a few months away from Free Agency I think the idea of a sign and trade is a pipe dream.

Bidding likely starts at a 1st round pick, your teams 3rd/4th best prospect and a low level roster player on an expiring contract. Anything more than that would be a bonus, anything less than that would be an atrocity on Dorion's behalf.

If that is the price I would be all in as a Pens fan. 1st, Brassard who they could trade for a 1st, and our 3rd best prospect? Someone like Bellerive, Almeida, etc.

He would be a rental and I usually hate those type of deals but a 3rd line of Pearson-Duchene-Kessel would instantly make the Pens the clear favorites.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Duchene-Kessel
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Sheahan

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Riikola-Rhuwedel

Murray
DeSmith

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Maybe Penguins? I'm not familiar with their prospect pool. But maybe a 1st, Jarry, and Hagelin? Perhaps Pens can take Condon too to add value, they can bury him next year.

The Sens can flip Hagelin for another pick, and get a goalie in Jarry to try to see if he can become a starter.

1st is likely a low first
Sens don't really need to gamble on Jarry
and Hagelin plays for the LA Kings now and is our Boedker equivalent so no thank you.

That's literally a worst package then what we got back for Brassard. Easy pass.

Reactions: SensFactor

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
having himself a phenomenal start to 2019.

Stats since the new year:

14 games.
11 goals.
5 assists.
16 points.
43 shots on goal.
+4.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the Islanders would make sense ;not hearing much noise from them though.

As a UFA he should be their #1 target as a playoff rental though I don't think it makes sense to trade the farm for a guy who most likely will leave in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad