Speculation: Where does Chris Tanev land?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully the Penguins dump Jack Johnson with Murray in a deal and we sign Tanev to something not silly.
The radio guys in Vancouver are talking about Tanev signing in Pittsburgh too. I don’t see the fit in Pittsburgh though. Tanev needs to play with a dynamic partner, or he plays too much in his on end, takes too many hits (shot blocks) and gets injured. The guy is as tough as nails, and really smart, but unless he’s with a super partner it could be trouble.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The radio guys in Vancouver are talking about Tanev signing in Pittsburgh too. I don’t see the fit in Pittsburgh though. Tanev needs to play with a dynamic partner, or he plays too much in his on end, takes too many hits (shot blocks) and gets injured. The guy is as tough as nails, and really smart, but unless he’s with a super partner it could be trouble.

If Toronto doesn't land Pietroangelo Tanev sounds like the perfect fit next to Rielly

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010

if its 1040 they just make up stupid rumours to shade benning and armchair gm all day

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Maybe Tanev can play with Marino, and we put Petterson with POJ/Ruhwedel/JJ

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A purely defensive defenseman entering his 30's with a very extensive injury history. He's good at what he does but I'd be wary of giving him a lot of term. I'd still guess he goes back to Van, losing him would not be good for their blueline at all.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Canucks resign Tanev + try and retool the defense this off season is what I think will happen. Markstrom is likely moving on in my opinion.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Another Tanev to Toronto thread, has there ever been another player to team topic that has gotten so many threads over the years??

And Leafs fans rejected him in all of those threads. Not good enough offensively for the mighty Leafs or something. Delusional bunch they are

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And Leafs fans rejected him in all of those threads. Not good enough offensively for the mighty Leafs or something. Delusional bunch they are

Was never a talent issue it was an injury issue, didn't want to pay huge assets for an injury prone D man.

But he didn't have those issues this year and now he's a free agent so he won't cost premium assets

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I've soured on the idea. Too many injury troubles and coming of a really bad year.
While Tanev is no longer the defensive rock he once was, I wouldn't say he had a "really bad year." He is still a very dependable #4, although he is in his 30s, has a very long list of past injuries, and plays a very punishing (on the receiving end) style. It is very risky to give him more than 2 years. Of course he'll get more, but the team signing him to term will be sweating bullets for pretty much the whole duration. The guy is a warrior though, he'll try to play through as much as humanly possible.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tanev is another player I'd be interested in nabbing from Vancouver if Brodie doesn't re-sign with us. I bet Vancouver fans would be livid in that case.

Gio - Anderson
Hanifin - Tanev
Kylington - X
Valimaki

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tanev is another player I'd be interested in nabbing from Vancouver if Brodie doesn't re-sign with us. I bet Vancouver fans would be livid in that case.

Gio - Anderson
Hanifin - Tanev
Kylington - X
Valimaki
Tanev would be a perfect partner for Hanifin. You guys get Tanev and I see Hanifin having a breakout offensive season.

Reactions: Fig

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
While Tanev is no longer the defensive rock he once was, I wouldn't say he had a "really bad year." He is still a very dependable #4, although he is in his 30s, has a very long list of past injuries, and plays a very punishing (on the receiving end) style. It is very risky to give him more than 2 years. Of course he'll get more, but the team signing him to term will be sweating bullets for pretty much the whole duration. The guy is a warrior though, he'll try to play through as much as humanly possible.

Ummm, Tanev just had his best most productive seasons in 5+ years.. not sure what you're talking about..

His ruggedized style of play will slow him down sooner rather than later..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He’s long been projected as a future starter. Obviously he’s still green but if they sign Markstrom they will lose Demko in the expansion draft.

You sure about that there will be a lot of quality goalies available for example they could have Bishop and one of the Columbus goalies, or maybe Quick and Marazek

Demko isn't guaranteed to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad