Movies: Where does Casey Affleck rank amongst the better actors of today?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Serious question, after his golden globe win, Casey Affleck I feel has been an under the radar actor for a while in Hollywood for numerous reasons (Mostly because Ben, partially because he takes lesser known movies, etc). So where do you rank him tier wise and skill/body of work wise amongst other hollywood/big name actors now? If you could give a tier suggestion and say similar acting skill level to, that's be great. (Example: 2nd or 3rd tier/above average skill actor with similar portfolio or ability to XXXXX)

I mean, he's had some great work "quietly":

Manchester By the Sea
Assassination of Jesse James
Gone Baby Gone
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
And personally, I thought he was perfect in a small "Out of the Furnace" role, even stole a scene or 2 from Bale in it.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's a good question. I'd previously thought of him as an actor with a minimalist approach and rather limited in terms of emotional range. But given his performance in Manchester by the Sea, that theory has gotten well and truly blown out of the water.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's good in every thing he's in and I'll watch any movie he is a part of. He's also getting better. Triple 9 wasn't a great movie but I thought he killed it in it. Same with The Finest Hours.

I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea yet but it's on my watchlist. Anyway, I don't really have a ranking but I believe he can carry any half decent script.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He is way better than his brother. That I am sure of.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I haven't seen a ton of his movies but apparently I'm Still Here really hurt his career. It was one of the last mockumentarys that tricked people into thinking it was real, I believe roger ebert even wrote a review saying it was sad he was taking advantage of his brother in law like that.

Coming off an oscar nomination he basically gave up two years of his prime to make an inside joke.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Serious question, after his golden globe win, Casey Affleck I feel has been an under the radar actor for a while in Hollywood for numerous reasons (Mostly because Ben, partially because he takes lesser known movies, etc). So where do you rank him tier wise and skill/body of work wise amongst other hollywood/big name actors now? If you could give a tier suggestion and say similar acting skill level to, that's be great. (Example: 2nd or 3rd tier/above average skill actor with similar portfolio or ability to XXXXX)

I mean, he's had some great work "quietly":

Manchester By the Sea
Assassination of Jesse James
Gone Baby Gone
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
And personally, I thought he was perfect in a small "Out of the Furnace" role, even stole a scene or 2 from Bale in it.

good supporting player

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's a good question. I'd previously thought of him as an actor with a minimalist approach and rather limited in terms of emotional range. But given his performance in Manchester by the Sea, that theory has gotten well and truly blown out of the water.

He's easily one of my favorite actors...

Weird to read about you saying he has limited range... I find the exact opposite to be true, which is why I enjoy his performances so much.

Have you seen both Lonesome Jim and Out of The Furnace? Great contrasts in the roles he played between Jim and Rodney.

The way he absorbs into his characters is pretty remarkable IMHO.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea yet but I would say he's a pretty good actor but not great

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's easily one of my favorite actors...

Weird to read about you saying he has limited range... I find the exact opposite to be true, which is why I enjoy his performances so much.

Have you seen both Lonesome Jim and Out of The Furnace? Great contrasts in the roles he played between Jim and Rodney.

The way he absorbs into his characters is pretty remarkable IMHO.
I've seen neither. Will pick both up eventually for sure.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I've seen neither. Will pick both up eventually for sure.

I would like to read your review of Out of the Furnace. For me, I thought it is an utter disappointment, because it wasted great performances from the male leads on a complete nonsensical mess.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, I have about the same opinion of him.

He contributes to everything I have seen him in since The Assassination of Jesse James, but I feel that he pretty much plays the same moody character in every single movie.

Manchester By the Sea is the first time I see just how much depth he has in that moodiness. Perhaps the issue is always with the scripts, and not him, and he does more than he has been given credit for.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's way better than his brother. I've thought he was good in everything I've seen him in.

Unlike, his brother, I don't think he really cares about fame. He takes roles for artistic reasons.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would like to read your review of Out of the Furnace. For me, I thought it is an utter disappointment, because it wasted great performances from the male leads on a complete nonsensical mess.

Of all the movies I've watched in the last five years, Out of the Furnace is easily one of the most misunderstood movies that gets unfairly knocked by critics who wanted the film to be something it wasn't meant to be.

It wasn't a film about revenge, it was a film about how soldiers must come to grips with the consequences of violence.

It's gritty and unforgiving... there is no redemption for Rodney... that's the message people miss while they are looking for a feel good revenge flick.

I also appreciate that Cooper let the ending play out more organically...

We are spared a silly and cliched macho fisticuffs between Harlan and Russel... Russel doesn't live happily ever after with Lena... the ending shot of Russel at the table is one of the best shots to end a film I've ever seen... you can just feel his despair about the choices that both he and Rodney made that ruined their lives in such a dramatic fashion.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
good supporting player

This.

And not even that great of one. His range is completely limited and he doesn't fully embody the roles he does have. I'd say his competition would be a guy like, Giovanni Ribisi, or Sam Rockwell and both of them run circles around him in a variety of roles I could never see Affleck doing successfully. Overall 5/10 IMO.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, I have about the same opinion of him.

He contributes to everything I have seen him in since The Assassination of Jesse James, but I feel that he pretty much plays the same moody character in every single movie.

Manchester By the Sea is the first time I see just how much depth he has in that moodiness. Perhaps the issue is always with the scripts, and not him, and he does more than he has been given credit for.

Fully agree. His role in Ocean's 11 is becoming one of my favorites because he actually does something a little different. He could probably do dry humor really well.

Also, nice to see nods for Assassination of Jesse James. I was the only one I knew who saw that movie when it came out and I really liked it. Fantastic cast all around and some really nice imagery.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly, I forgot he was in Ocean's Eleven.
:laugh:

He was largely overshadowed by Scott Cann, who got the louder character, and he was also not on screen for very long, so his performance was easy to miss. Now that I recall though, he did actually "act", compared to many others, so perhaps the talent is already there, but it was just not his time yet.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Of all the movies I've watched in the last five years, Out of the Furnace is easily one of the most misunderstood movies that gets unfairly knocked by critics who wanted the film to be something it wasn't meant to be.

It wasn't a film about revenge, it was a film about how soldiers must come to grips with the consequences of violence.

It's gritty and unforgiving... [spoil]there is no redemption for Rodney... that's the message people miss while they are looking for a feel good revenge flick.[/spoil]

I also appreciate that Cooper let the ending play out more organically...

[spoil]We are spared a silly and cliched macho fisticuffs between Harlan and Russel... Russel doesn't live happily ever after with Lena... the ending shot of Russel at the table is one of the best shots to end a film I've ever seen... you can just feel his despair about the choices that both he and Rodney made that ruined their lives in such a dramatic fashion.[/spoil]

The ending is actually what I have issues with. It requires too much of a suspension of disbelief.

[spoil]The man just shot another guy, in front of a police officer, no less. He should be in jail, not being contemplative in his kitchen. I know it is suppose to be an artistic interpretation, but that just takes it way too far, and it becomes a huge plot hole.
:facepalm:[/spoil]

Without that, the movie is alright. I am enthralled, until the aforementioned part, which completely destroyed the movie for me.

Also, and I do not mean to be picky, but you have revealed a little too much. Some people have not seen the movie, and this might skew their perception.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Now that I recall, I think Affleck's worst performance since 2007 is in the movie The Killer Inside Me. Boy, that thing is the epitome of excrement.
:laugh:

To be fair, he tried, but the script is just a violent mess, with no message whatsoever. Quite frankly, there is nothing that can be done to salvage it.

JA

Despite the level of recognition attached to his surname, he is a somewhat faceless actor.

He always offers a solid performance, although I always fail to recognize him in films. Unlike his brother, he is not a high-profile celebrity or a memorable actor, although he is very reliable in his craft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The ending is actually what I have issues with. It requires too much of a suspension of disbelief.

[spoil]The man just shot another guy, in front of a police officer, no less. He should be in jail, not being contemplative in his kitchen. I know it is suppose to be an artistic interpretation, but that just takes it way too far, and it becomes a huge plot hole.
:facepalm:[/spoil]

Without that, the movie is alright. I am enthralled, until the aforementioned part, which completely destroyed the movie for me.

Why would you have to suspend disbelief when the film spent so much time devoted to the complicated relationship between Wesley and Rodney, and the sympathetic feelings Wesley expressed for him?

I could see if it was some random cop, but it wasn't. That seems like an odd thing to call a "plot hole" unless you maybe skipped through half of the movie.

Also, and I do not mean to be picky, but you have revealed a little too much. Some people have not seen the movie, and this might skew their perception.

If we had to use spoilers for every movie that's been out for at least three years and beyond, the entire forum would be filled with nothing but spoiler tags.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He is supposed to be a good cop. You think he will just let it go? That is a very Hollywood way to go.

You liked it, and thought it was deep. I did not, because I thought the ending was improbable. You have failed to convinced me, and vice versa, so we will agree to disagree.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He is supposed to be a good cop. You think he will just let it go? That is a very Hollywood way to go.

You liked it, and thought it was deep. I did not, because I thought the ending was improbable. You have failed to convinced me, and vice versa, so we will agree to disagree.

He knows the guy was a thug and murdered his brother - the story also developed his sympathies for Rodney quite well. They took the time to show us that relationship between the two for a reason.

He's a good cop, but he knows Rodney is a good man as well. He's not a random cop that just showed up.

Anyway, I'm not out to convince you to like it, because it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie how you feel about it. However, stating that "a cop just let him go" and it's "a huge plot hole" is quite an odd and misdirected criticism.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He knows the guy was a thug and murdered his brother - the story also developed his sympathies for Rodney quite well. They took the time to show us that relationship between the two for a reason.

He's a good cop, but he knows Rodney is a good man as well. He's not a random cop that just showed up.

Anyway, I'm not out to convince you to like it, because it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie how you feel about it. However, stating that "a cop just let him go" and it's "a huge plot hole" is quite an odd and misdirected criticism.

Whitaker's character is the new boyfriend of Bale's love interest. Of course the movie has to show their interactions, in order to show what type of man he is. That is a given.

However, there is simply no reason to just assume Whitaker's character will simply let Bale's character go. Seriously, why would Whittaker's character continue to try to convince Bale's character to drop his gun, and cry "No" when Bale's character exacted his revenge? That is because he knows he has to arrest him, but he is reluctant. When he suddenly lets him go, as the last scene suggests, that basically makes that past scene pointless, and simply emotionally manipulative.

Also, nothing suggests that the former likes the latter enough, to do that over his job. Respect and affection are two different things, and can be mutually exclusive. The movie is set in realism from the get-go, but it suddenly changes in that last scene, and that feels off to me. Even if he does let him go, that is just typical poor Hollywood storytelling, and not realistic at all. Frankly, it gives nobody any comfort, if a person is just let free, after he murdered another man, no matter how justified the reason is, or how sympathetic he is.

There are more reasons why I dislike it, but that is the main one, and the straw that breaks the camel's back. In this case, I think the filmmakers just tried to be too cute with things, and creates more problems than necessary. I do not think all the critics are wrong about it, but you do not have to agree. I cannot convince you, nor can you. Let us just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad