Where does Bure fit in the grand scheme of things?

espo*

Point taken.myself though.If my team is down a goal or tied and i can pick one guy to tap on the shoulder to score a goal for me to tie it up and i can pick any player that i've seen play since i started watching hockey around 1975....................Lemieux is the guy whose shoulder i'm tapping,i don't even have to think about it.You can mention guys like Bossy,Bure,Gretzky,Jagr,Lafleur ,Hull on that bench and i still would'nt bat an eye picking Mario.I've personally never seen a better goal scorer,a player that could score in so many ways.He just had so many weapons and was so gifted.It's a shame Lemieux played most of his career in less then 100% physical condition,the guy was always hurt with the back real bad.To me Gretzky's record of 92 goals is gone with a healthy Lemieux in his prime.He's the only guy i've ever watched who i could have seen cracking the 100 goal barrier in an nhl season. He's the most gifted goal scorer i've ever seen in my whole life,no-one gave you so many dimensions and looks to defend against.

I should do a poll on this one. You need a goal badly,who do you pick to go out there and score it? Bossy,Bure,Hull,Gretzky,Lafleur,Esposito,Mario? I'd love to do it with posters here and with gm's and nhl management guys that have been in the league for a long time and have seen most of these guys.My guess is Mario takes the honours here by a slight majority and a whopping one with the nhl guys.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
You have made some good points. However it's hard comparing the two with just numbers, Bure got his league leading 60 goals at the start of the clutch and grab era when there were only 3 teams (of 26) with over 300 goals scored. There were 10 teams (of 21) with 300 goals scored in Mario's 85 season.

Also Bure in the 90's played on a much worse team than Mario's Penguins. Compare the two teams of Mario's two 69 goal seasons with the ones of Bure's two 60 goal seasons.

Mario:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000501993.html
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000501996.html

Bure:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391993.html
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391994.html
Oh ya Bure played on a much worse team than Mario did. In 93' the teams were separated by 18 points. Vancouver had 101 points that year and won the Smythe division. Pittsburgh was the better team but not by much. Both teams were out in the second round in the playoffs. The 94' Canuck team was one game away from the Stanley Cup. The one thing about Bure is that he was great but he never made his teammates better. On the other hand, Lemieux made some of his teammates a lot better.

Bure is a great goal scorer. However, the reason Lemieux is better than him is because he could score goals in so many different ways. Bure either beat you with his speed or his stickhandling.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh ya Bure played on a much worse team than Mario did. In 93' the teams were separated by 18 points. Vancouver had 101 points that year and won the Smythe division. Pittsburgh was the better team but not by much. Both teams were out in the second round in the playoffs. The 94' Canuck team was one game away from the Stanley Cup. The one thing about Bure is that he was great but he never made his teammates better. On the other hand, Lemieux made some of his teammates a lot better.
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, but Mario had a better supporting cast in his 69 goal seasons than Bure in his 60 goal seasons. Would we agree on that?

Bure is a great goal scorer. However, the reason Lemieux is better than him is because he could score goals in so many different ways. Bure either beat you with his speed or his stickhandling.
Who are you arguing against?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, but Mario had a better supporting cast in his 69 goal seasons than Bure in his 60 goal seasons. Would we agree on that?

Who are you arguing against?
He did have a better supporting cast I wasn't arguing that. You said Bure played on much worse teams which isn't true. The Canuck teams of 93' and 94' were great teams.

I wasn't arguing with anyone. I just gave my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->