Where does Brenden Shannahan rank all time?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Yea I just said 50 goals and 200 pims
I believe there are 5. Keith Tkachuk, Cam Neely and I can't remember the other, though Tocchet came close with 47 and well over 200 one year.
I cant look it up now but didnt Gary Roberts have a year that was close to putting him in the 50 goal 100 point 200 PIM club?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Yeah, 1991-92 in Calgary. 53 goals and 207 PiMs. Only 37 assists though.

He only played 72 (I think) games that year as well.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
So is Shanahan a Hall of Famer? He's only scored 100 points once, 50 goals twice, despite playing in a relatively high-scoring period early in his career. He doesn't have much in the way of individual accolades, and his stats are marred by a few bouts of inconsistency. On the other hand, he does have a few rings, and six hundred plus goals are hard to argue with.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So is Shanahan a Hall of Famer? He's only scored 100 points once, 50 goals twice, despite playing in a relatively high-scoring period early in his career. He doesn't have much in the way of individual accolades, and his stats are marred by a few bouts of inconsistency. On the other hand, he does have a few rings, and six hundred plus goals are hard to argue with.

The guy is a legit 1st ballot HOFer.

How can anyone say he's not? He's a warrior.

Over 600 goals and over 600 assists. He's got Cup rings. Over 2400 PIMs and he sticks up for his teammates left and right.

He's 38 years old and still on a PPG pace.

What more do you want from the guy?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
He does get overrated because of the "power-forward" tag, but he's certainly a HOFer.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

The missing piece tag will always be remembered. He was the final piece to a 3 time cup winner.

That gets him in.

Not a sure fire first ballotter though.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Shanny breaks the top 100 easy. How many players have scored 600 goals? And how many of those have the heart, leadership, edge and work ethic of Shanny? He's had a long carrer at the top of his game and is still going strong.

As for individual awards, well, there was always someone having a better yar than Shanny no matter how good he did! And they are probably all top 50 players.

I would say he is better than both Iginla and Kevin Stevens. One of the best power forwards of all time.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I don't think there's much question as to whether he's a hall of famer or not. But I don't think he'd be a first ballot, necessarily.
I think he will be a first ballot inductee. He's a real complete hockey player. Shanahan is the essence of a hockey player.

He was a two time First All-Star Team selection, and he was selected to the Second All-Star Team once. That's a pretty good peak, even though they were a bit scattered. His 600+ Goals and 600+ Assists shows what great sustained productivity he had.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Shanny's a HHOFer. He was no passenger on those great Wings teams. The fact that as good as the Wings were they didnt win a up until they traded for Shanny tells you something.

Randall Graves*

Shanny breaks the top 100 easy. How many players have scored 600 goals? And how many of those have the heart, leadership, edge and work ethic of Shanny? He's had a long carrer at the top of his game and is still going strong.

As for individual awards, well, there was always someone having a better yar than Shanny no matter how good he did! And they are probably all top 50 players.

I would say he is better than both Iginla and Kevin Stevens. One of the best power forwards of all time.
Dave Andreychuk and Dino Ciccarelli both have 600+ goals and they aren't regarded as top 100 players.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
What would he be if he wasn't a "power-forward", though? If he didn't have that part of his game, he'd hardly be considered as good as we all know he is now.

No, I'm not taking anything away from his game. I just have a couple issues with the way the term has come to be used.

IMO so-called "power-forwards" get ranked too high because a lot of people think it means they do everything a great finess player does and more, which is untrue. I think it stems from the fact that great physical players are often mistaken for great two-way players on these boards.

Secondly, there's very few true "power forwards", so it's a lot easier to be the top power forward in the NHL than it is to be, say, the top playmaking centre. And yet, I find a lot of people's views don't reflect this.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
For the era, I can't think of a better power forward, Neely had a great peak but Shanny is as good if not better and he has longevity in his favor. You look at a guy like Jarome Iginla who may be the preminent power forward in the game today and he's really not close to where Shannahan was at his peak. Bertuzzi had a nice little run but that didn't last long.

I can't believe it went this long without being mentioned...but how about Eric Lindros? He was the most dominating "power forward" of the 90's.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Secondly, there's very few true "power forwards", so it's a lot easier to be the top power forward in the NHL than it is to be, say, the top playmaking centre. And yet, I find a lot of people's views don't reflect this.
That's the thing, because there are so few, a true powerforward becomes invaluable.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
That's the thing, because there are so few, a true powerforward becomes invaluable.

No, I don't think it does necessarily. I mean, Cam Neely was the best power forward in the game in the early 90's. Pat Lafontaine was not the best small, finess player. Yet, I have them rated very close.

It's give and take. It's great to have a guy who'll scrap and stick up for his team mates, but on the other hand, it's great to have a guy who won't spend half the game in the penalty box.

While the prototypical power forward is a big, mean, physical winger with a great shot, they're almost never great playmakers (Lindros excluded). The great ones always seem to benefit from playing with a great centre, and vice versa.

My point, basically, is that power forward is not the pinnacle of hockey player evolution that some make it out to be. Brendan Shanahan is great because he's a great player. However, I think the "power forward" tag makes him look more valuable than he actually is to many people. There's a certain prestige attached to it that doesn't come with puck-moving-defenceman or playmaking-centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->