Speculation: Where do YOU think your Vancouver Canucks will finish in the standings this season?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Why will retaining Lack be an issue. Miller contract runs 1 years after Lacks.

Edlers failure has been talked about to death, but again most people don't understand that performance is relative. Lol not sure why I'm kidding myself that you guys might realize this. Who is San Jose number 4 dman? What do his his stats and game tape show us?

At the end of the day, most fans here follow the Canucks religiously and watch anywhere from 40~80 regular season games. In these games we watched, we saw him make critical, game costing errors, often giving up grade A scoring chances to opposing players. He's given up multiple odd man rushes on bad reads every game I watched, and is almost a lock to get walked by quick, shifty players when he's defending the odd man rush. He gets caught puck watching too much.

If our qualitative assessments of Edler are off by so much, we'd have to let the numbers do the talking - and Edler has been putrid in that regard.

As for Lack, this contract runs a year into his UFA status when he turns 28 (29 when Miller's contract is up). This is when players look to cash out - meaning it's unlikely we can hold on to him with a bridge contract.

This can end in one of two ways. Either he outplays Miller and turns Miller into a buyout candidate, or Miller marginally outplays him and management refuses to match larger offers made by teams in need of goalies because Miller's 6 million dollar cap hit is still on the books. I'd be fine with the former, even though it's a pain in the ass; but the latter is the worst possible outcome.

What management should have done is found someone capable of shouldering 35~40 games and do a 46-36 split with Lack, someone in the mold of Vokoun, and have him signed to two years instead of three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad