Where do you think the Kings finish in next years regular season standing?

Where do the Kings finish in next year’s regular season standings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Squeak in as the #3 seed in Pacific. Lots of bad teams in there, hopefully we can beat up on them next year.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Even with the new division no way on Earth we are close to making the playoffs. Top 5 pick again for sure. Might not be a bad thing.

Reactions: Butch 19

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
To early to say.

For all we know AEG might have told them it's playoffs or bust next season, if the Kings trade a bunch of Reign players and this years pick for Eichel (for example) and Eichel plays like he is capable of the Kings will probably be able to make the playoffs as a 3 or the WC, the division is not that great.

But for all we know AEG might have also said, take as much time as you want and Blake may try and target another Top 5 pick to hopefully get a second star forward going forward with Byfield.

My guess is AEG is probably a bit more bullish on putting a competitive product on the ice and I think there is quite a bit of fire with the Eichel smoke, because it just makes no sense with AEG committing to $60m to two players for the next three seasons to be this bad again.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The next time AEG orders the Kings to spend money on players will be the first afaik. I don’t see management as desperate enough to swing for the fences at try and land Eichel. Which I’m fine with.

Any pressure to make the playoffs will come from within the Kings, likely linked to revenue goals, which AEG must sign off on. I think ultimately it comes down to what Luc wants, since he’s in charge of the Kings full time and is Blake’s boss.

My hope is that Robitaille is a realist and doesn’t believe in quick fixes. If you agree that players hit their prime at 24 to 27 year’s old, then the current roster is at most 5 years away from that. At that stage, if you have enough great and good players, you should be the type of team setup to make multiple deep runs in the playoffs.

That’s why I expect it to be 3 more years of missing the playoffs. Once guys like Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, etc are 23-25 years old, they’ll be physically mature enough to carry the team and drive production at the NHL level. And given the depth chart, the normal risk of not hitting on prospects is mitigated because of guys like Kupari, JAD, Thomas, Fabre, Grans, etc.

Adding two vets in the offseason may result in more points, but it’s hard to see it raising the consistency level enough to win tough games down the stretch to make the playoffs. And if you’re taking a hit on the depth chart at the same time, you’re at best running in place and likely falling further behind.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
That question is hard to answer right now.
A lot depends on what happens after the expansion draft.
If Blake goes out and adds a top 6 player and a good defenceman I think we could challenge for 3rd in the division.
Vegas and Oilers should be #1 and #2 and the rest is pretty close together.
It would be cool to battle with Sutter for the final playoff spot.

That being said, I would be perfectly happy with another season where the main goal is development and not instant success

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I can't see outside help up front. I'd rather watch a year of prospects than more filler garbage honestly.

Iaffalo Kopitar Brown (They just aren't going to change that line)
Andersson Vilardi Kaliyev
Kempe Byfield Turcotte
Moore JAD Kupari

Extra: Lemiuex/Grundstrom

Injury Callup: Fagemo/Thomas (Culture changer)

Let them walk or jettison into space: Lizotte/Wagner/Luff/AA-(rather see a prospect)

Anderson DD
Bjornfort Walker
??? Roy
Maata(Stuck for another year)

(Strand/Moverare /Durzi/ Hults)

Let them walk or jettison into space: MacD/Wolanin

Seattle: Clague (I'd take Moore if unprotected)

Top Free Agents:
Hamilton
Oleksiak
Landeskog
*Matt Nieto from Long Beach

Personally wouldn't mind:
Ian Cole (Reminds me of a W. Mitchell kind of addition)

Trade targets:
Youngish established LHD
Scoring Winger

If nothing really happens on the trade front, I don't think LA moves the needle too much.

It will require heavy reliance on rookies in this scenario.

Just hoping the team can bring in youth and some excitement.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
AEG is in the live events business. They've been bleeding cash for over year and have cut staff.

I highly doubt they're going to be ordering their sports teams to spend more money on payroll right now. If anything it will be the opposite.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad